Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Where do I even begin with the VISA process!?

Where do I even begin with the VISA process!?

Old Jan 4th 2018, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

RobertPR44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Where do I even begin with the VISA process!?

Okay, so I really want to move to Perth, WA.

Luckily I've worked there as a head chef before on a holiday working VISA so I know Perth pretty well. Before I left to come home I was offered a permanent working VISA at the place I worked. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons I had to come home back to the UK.

I've been back now for about 2 years and all I want to do is go back out there to enjoy a better lifestyle and bring my partner (who came with me and worked in Australia too on the holiday VISA).

I don't know where to even start, I've booked myself in for the IELTS test to prove I can speak good English. But what's the next move? Just approach Australian Businesses online and hope to get a sponsor again? Or pay thousands of ££s out to some random VISA company?

Thank you for any feedback, I really appreciate it! Rob.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

WRUSSELL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do I even begin with the VISA process!?

May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for advice about strategy?
Old Jan 4th 2018, 8:06 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobertPR44

Luckily I've worked there as a head chef before on a holiday working VISA so I know Perth pretty well. Before I left to come home I was offered a permanent working VISA at the place I worked. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons I had to come home back to the UK.

I've been back now for about 2 years and all I want to do is go back out there to enjoy a better lifestyle and bring my partner (who came with me and worked in Australia too on the holiday VISA).

I don't know where to even start, I've booked myself in for the IELTS test to prove I can speak good English. But what's the next move? Just approach Australian Businesses online and hope to get a sponsor again? Or pay thousands of ££s out to some random VISA company?

Hi Rob. There are plenty of BE posters who'll be able to point you towards the information you need that is relevant to your particular skills, and to which if any visa you're eligible to apply for. Keep checking back, they're all pretty busy people but they'll respond as soon as they can
Old Jan 4th 2018, 8:37 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Just for information 'VISA' is a credit card, 'visa' is what you are wanting, might just save a few problems down the line
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:24 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WRUSSELL
May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for advice about strategy?
Why? If the OP has a skill on the list and can read and write then filling out forms (with the free help of this forum) should be achievable. Thousands of us have done it without consulting a migration agent and paying $$$ for the pleasure.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Robert. The place to start is www.immi.gov.au to see where your skill as a chef may fall. If you are on the "long term" list then you can apply for a skilled permanent visa (as Mike says, VISA is a registered trademark for a credit card company. What you want is a visa). We on here have for the most part done the process ourselves, so can help with any questions you may have along the way.

If you give us a bit more information such as age, education, experience, etc then that would help us to answer your questions.

As for your partner, you will either need to be married or have lived together for 12+ months in a marriage-like relationship and be able to prove it.

Feel free to ask any questions you have and we'll try to help out.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why? If the OP has a skill on the list and can read and write then filling out forms (with the free help of this forum) should be achievable. Thousands of us have done it without consulting a migration agent and paying $$$ for the pleasure.
He has to find some way to advertise his services.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:30 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by mikelincs
He has to find some way to advertise his services.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 8:57 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Registered Agent, and proud to be so. I contribute to this forum with professional advice when I can, even if that effort is not always appreciated.

My view is that potential applicants do their research. If the application looks to be very straightforward then go for it. If it at all looks like it's going to be complex, with legal issues, family issues etc, then you may want to consider professional advice. Yes, Registered Agents charge a fee (although an initial assessment consultation should be free). But to use the analogy of a complex divorce case, would you proceed yourself based on what you read on forums, or would you seek the help of a legal professional to assist when necessary?

Regards,

Richard
Old Jan 5th 2018, 9:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard_Gregan
I am a Registered Agent, and proud to be so. I contribute to this forum with professional advice when I can, even if that effort is not always appreciated.

My view is that potential applicants do their research. If the application looks to be very straightforward then go for it. If it at all looks like it's going to be complex, with legal issues, family issues etc, then you may want to consider professional advice. Yes, Registered Agents charge a fee (although an initial assessment consultation should be free). But to use the analogy of a complex divorce case, would you proceed yourself based on what you read on forums, or would you seek the help of a legal professional to assist when necessary?

Regards,

Richard
Sounds like a pretty balanced summing up of the issue!
Old Jan 5th 2018, 9:45 am
Concierge

Regards,

Richard
I agree, but you are totally up front about the fact that you are an agent, not all contributors are the same.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 10:19 am
Still alive

Regards,

Richard
Richard, your contribution to the forum is most appreciated. FWIW I agree 100% that there are some times when a professional is required and think your analogy of divorce is a good one.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

WRUSSELL is an unknown quantity at this point

although an initial assessment consultation should be free
Precisely!