When to start the application process

Old Jan 26th 2015, 12:50 am
Just Joined

bmouthboyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When to start the application process

Hi everyone,

I am a UK qualified teacher with 5 years UK teaching experience and 2 years teaching at a British International School in Thailand, which I currently work at now. My wife is British and she is a fully RIBA qualified Architect. No children just our 8 month old boxer dog.

We are about to finish out first 2 year contract in June and have signed for another 2 years here, however think it is a good idea to start looking into 'what next'. After speaking to a few friends who have lived in Australia recently we have started to warm to the idea.

Obviously I will need to do a lot of research before making any decisions and here seems as good a place as any. If anyone could help out and answer or direct me to information on any of the questions listed below that would be a huge help.

Demand for IT teachers? As per the title really, is IT a subject where jobs come up often or is there a lot of competition for those positions? Or a shortage subject? Ideally I guess for my wife to find Architecture work we would prefer to be nearer the main cities? And as we are spoilt by the climate here in Thailand it would be nice to go somewhere more north? Again very early thoughts but might have a bearing on things.

Expected Salary for teacher with my experience? Basically 5 years in a secondary school in the UK and 4 years in a British International school in Thailand.

Dad recently got his residency in Australia. Does that help with the application at all? As I am 31 I didn't think so but thought I would ask.

How do I stand with a potential employer? Am I a less attractive candidate for schools? Would I struggle to be offered a position over a local IT teacher who would already know the Australian system etc?

Where is the best / goto place for teaching position adverts? In the UK TES is the main place schools advertise. Is that the same in Australia?

Lastly is it to early to start the expression of interest form etc given we would not be able to move until June 2017?

That's a good start. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 1:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to start the application process

Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection Start here.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:13 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

You can always start the application process as soon as you have your documents - if you're eligible now it is worthwhile because entry criteria can always change.

If you're living in Thailand it isn't very far to fly to Australia for a validation trip if you're successful in getting a visa, then you still have 4 years to move
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:19 am
Just Joined

Would we not need to pay the thousands for the visa process soon then? I am not sure the idea is concrete enough to merit the expense. Or are the fees later on in the process when you actually use the visa?

Also on a side note, whos profession would be wisest to pursue for the main visa application? Me as a UK qualified teacher of IT or my wife a fully qualified Architect? Both professions are on the SOL.

Thankyou for advice so far, a lot to learn
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:23 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bmouthboyo
Would we not need to pay the thousands for the visa process soon then? I am not sure the idea is concrete enough to merit the expense. Or are the fees later on in the process when you actually use the visa?

Also on a side note, whos profession would be wisest to pursue for the main visa application? Me as a UK qualified teacher of IT or my wife a fully qualified Architect? Both professions are on the SOL.

Thankyou for advice so far, a lot to learn
You pay the visa fee at the time of application. From the 4-odd years that I've been on the forum, I have yet to see the visa fee go down, if you catch my drift.

If either occupation is on the SOL, I would suggest having a look at each assessing authority and see which one is less painful/cheaper and go for that one.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:26 am
Just Joined

If I place a EOI now, would that basically mean I am going to have to pay for the visa application soon? Or can you express EOI and if the invite I could over the next year or so?
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:29 am
Lost in the antipodes

If I place a EOI now, would that basically mean I am going to have to pay for the visa application soon? Or can you express EOI and if the invite I could over the next year or so?
Well, you shouldn't make an EOI until you have all the requisite documents in hand first (i.e. skills assessment, IELTS score if needed). Then you get invited and you have 30 or 60 (can't remember which) days from invitation to lodge an application and pay the fee. If you don't apply then it goes back in the pool. There's some other rules about if you don't apply after x times your EOI gets discarded and you have to start again
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that it might be very expensive to bring your dog into Australia and may involve him being in quarantine for six months. I looked into bringing my two over from America and they'd have cost $10,000 each including kennelling for six months. I found forever homes for them in America but it was a wrench at the time and still doesn't get any easier.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Is it mostly guaranteed that you will have the visa approved if youve been invited and pay to apply? or is it a gamble? What might result in you getting the documents and invite but then not being successful in the application?
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SoCalDon
Bear in mind that it might be very expensive to bring your dog into Australia and may involve him being in quarantine for six months. I looked into bringing my two over from America and they'd have cost $10,000 each including kennelling for six months. I found forever homes for them in America but it was a wrench at the time and still doesn't get any easier.
We looked into this and from what we saw we could take him to a catagory 3 country (malaysia) for around 4 weeks whilst they do the second load of tests. This would fit in with my summer holidays (7 weeks). Then as far as i can tell if that all goes fine 10 days in quarantine when get to aus? Please correct me if im wrong.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

We looked into this and from what we saw we could take him to a catagory 3 country (malaysia) for around 4 weeks whilst they do the second load of tests. This would fit in with my summer holidays (7 weeks). Then as far as i can tell if that all goes fine 10 days in quarantine when get to aus? Please correct me if im wrong.
That sounds much easier than bringing a dog in from the States, that's for sure! The only country that I researched was America so I can't honestly comment on Malaysia - I just wanted to make sure that you were aware of potential head/heartaches of importing a dog to Australia.

Good luck with your plans
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SoCalDon
That sounds much easier than bringing a dog in from the States, that's for sure! The only country that I researched was America so I can't honestly comment on Malaysia - I just wanted to make sure that you were aware of potential head/heartaches of importing a dog to Australia.

Good luck with your plans
Thank you. From what I can gather the process changed in late 2013 and makes it marginally easier. Unfortunately as I am in Thailand we would need to meet the Malaysian requirements (Cat 3 country) then once in do tests etc and then return for the last 4 weeks before going to Aus. Nightmare really.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

thomasvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it mostly guaranteed that you will have the visa approved if youve been invited and pay to apply? or is it a gamble? What might result in you getting the documents and invite but then not being successful in the application?

If all your documents are real and everything is okay (medically speaking) I think there's a very high chance of getting the visa.

Not entirely sure.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Sounds promising. Is the EOI kind of an advert to employ me? Who exactly sees it and offers an invite to apply for a visa? Would it be a government education department? Individual school? Is this the same as a sponsor?
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

thomasvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Its only available to DIBP (department of Immigration and Border Protection) to calculate your points.
I found this on the website however: can be made available to employers and state and territory government agencies if you would like to be considered for a sponsored skilled visa

But I dont think thats the main point of an EOI. You submit an EOI because you have enough points and you want to get an invitation by DIBP asap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.