what do we do?

Old Feb 17th 2001, 5:38 pm
smithsrhere

Thanks to everyone who replied to our last message, ie info required. We have decided to
apply using my nursing as it gains more points, we have 120 points. We are unsure whether
to have my husbands skills assessed(motor vehicle technician), it will gain us another 5
points but is it worth it? Will he be able to get a job if we are successful without a
skills assessment? if it wont make any difference it seems a bit pointless going through a
skills assessment for him. Also in my application for the Australian Nursing Council it
states it must be witnessed by a judge, magistrate or notary public. What is a notary
public? I dont think I know anyone in these categories has anyone experienced this problem
and how did you overcome it? Do I need to ring a few lawyers to see if they will oblige?
Thanks in advance for any help. Andrea & Steven

Old Feb 17th 2001, 6:25 pm
Mark Gardner

Hi again Andrea & Steve,

We have gone about the other way round, Sibs is a beauty therapist and I am a mechanic.

soon after our arrival we will approaching Glenn Newton to have both of our qualifications
turned in to the Australian equivalents if possible.

As for the extra 5 points if you are sure that you will be able to obtain the 120 it's not
really worth Steve going through the assessment process. he can always do it once he is
there at probably half the cost.

As to public notary any solicitor should do, they are normally a commissioner for oaths
which is another mentioned somewhere on the forms.

Failing this a policeman has been used before I seem to remember.

There are probably a few others, we used our solicitor for ours.

best of luck

Mark & Sibs

--
To reply remove in the address line

> Thanks to everyone who replied to our last message, ie info required. We have decided to
> apply using my nursing as it gains more points, we have
> points. We are unsure whether to have my husbands skills assessed(motor vehicle
> technician), it will gain us another 5 points but is it worth it? Will he
be
> able to get a job if we are successful without a skills assessment? if it
wont
> make any difference it seems a bit pointless going through a skills
assessment
> for him. Also in my application for the Australian Nursing Council it states it
must be
> witnessed by a judge, magistrate or notary public. What is a notary
public? I
> dont think I know anyone in these categories has anyone experienced this problem and how
> did you overcome it? Do I need to ring a few lawyers to
see if
> they will oblige? Thanks in advance for any help. Andrea & Steven

Old Feb 18th 2001, 9:06 am
Philip Baker

Hi Andrea & Steven,

We had a similar scenario when we applied, we had 115 points as an independant but could
have been sponsored by my aunt, this would have given us another 15 making a total of
130 points.

After some enquiries we found out that once you make the pass mark your application is
processed exactly the same, it makes no difference having 120 or 125 as in your case. You
application will be treated the same. I personally would save the time and money and
submit your application on your skills.

I don't think a skills assessment for your husband will affect him in finding work either.

Hope this helps.

Philip

> Thanks to everyone who replied to our last message, ie info required. We have decided to
> points. We are unsure whether to have my husbands skills assessed(motor vehicle
be
wont
assessment
> for him. Also in my application for the Australian Nursing Council it states it
must be
public? I
> dont think I know anyone in these categories has anyone experienced this problem and how
see if

Old Feb 18th 2001, 12:19 pm
Australian Labour Market

Hi Andrea

If you are rock solid about the 120 points the extra 5 make any difference.

A pre-migration skills assessment of your husband as a Motor Mech would only be for
migration and further assessment after you arrive would be needed if he wanted an
Australian qualification.

Does he need an Australian qualification to work here in his trade? The answer is "yes"
and "no". For most trades, a qualification is not a legal requirement to practise in the
trade. And not all employers will have a preference. BUT, it depends on the state of the
labour market and the preferences of individual employers. There is a growing emphasis on
quality assurance and employing qualified staff is part of the QA process.

In some trades, there are legal requirements for licensing or registration, and a
qualification is a prerequisite for that. Motor Mechanics are required to be registered in
New South Wales, and also soon in Western Australia.

As Mark said (bless his cotton socks), we can do an assessment of your husband after you
arrive (wherever that might be) and, if he meets the grade, issue him with a contemporary
national trade qualification.

Regards

Glenn Newton Managing Director Australian Labour Market ABN 25 087 036 888 Registered
Training Organisation No. 6617 Registered Migration Agent No. 0100027 PO Box 300, DICKSON
ACT 2602, Australia Telephone 02 6255 0307 Mobile 0416 158 037 Fax 02 6255 0313 Email
[email protected] Internet site http://www.alms.com.au

be
wont
assessment
must be
public? I
see if

Old Feb 19th 2001, 10:28 am
Australian Labour Market

Whoops. The end of the first sentence should read...

"the extra 5 DON'T make any difference"

Regards

Glenn Newton Managing Director Australian Labour Market ABN 25 087 036 888 Registered
Training Organisation No. 6617 Registered Migration Agent No. 0100027 PO Box 300, DICKSON
ACT 2602, Australia Telephone 02 6255 0307 Mobile 0416 158 037 Fax 02 6255 0313 Email
[email protected] Internet site http://www.alms.com.au "Australian Labour Market"
<[email protected]> wrote in

> Hi Andrea
>
> If you are rock solid about the 120 points the extra 5 make any
difference.
>
> A pre-migration skills assessment of your husband as a Motor Mech would
only
> be for migration and further assessment after you arrive would be needed
if
> he wanted an Australian qualification.
>
> Does he need an Australian qualification to work here in his trade? The answer is "yes"
> and "no". For most trades, a qualification is not a legal requirement to practise in
> the trade. And not all employers will have a preference. BUT, it depends on the state
> of the labour market and the preferences of individual employers. There is a growing
> emphasis on
quality
> assurance and employing qualified staff is part of the QA process.
>
> In some trades, there are legal requirements for licensing or
registration,
> and a qualification is a prerequisite for that. Motor Mechanics are required to be
> registered in New South Wales, and also soon in Western Australia.
>
> As Mark said (bless his cotton socks), we can do an assessment of your husband after you
> arrive (wherever that might be) and, if he meets the grade, issue him with a
> contemporary national trade qualification.
>
> Regards
>
> Glenn Newton Managing Director Australian Labour Market ABN 25 087 036 888 Registered
> Training Organisation No. 6617 Registered Migration Agent No. 0100027 PO Box 300,
> DICKSON ACT 2602, Australia Telephone 02 6255 0307 Mobile 0416 158 037 Fax 02 6255 0313
> Email [email protected] Internet site http://www.alms.com.au

> > Thanks to everyone who replied to our last message, ie info required. We have decided
> > to apply using my nursing as it gains more points, we
have
> 120
> > points. We are unsure whether to have my husbands skills assessed(motor vehicle
> > technician), it will gain us another 5 points but is it worth it? Will
he
> be
> > able to get a job if we are successful without a skills assessment? if
it
> wont
> > make any difference it seems a bit pointless going through a skills
> assessment
> > for him. Also in my application for the Australian Nursing Council it states it
> must be
> > witnessed by a judge, magistrate or notary public. What is a notary
> public? I
> > dont think I know anyone in these categories has anyone experienced this problem and
> > how did you overcome it? Do I need to ring a few lawyers to
> see if
> > they will oblige? Thanks in advance for any help. Andrea & Steven
> >