Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

What do I do to make a move from uk to australia

What do I do to make a move from uk to australia

Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I do to make a move from uk to australia

Originally Posted by Jeraboam
My daughter is married to an Australian, has two university degrees, professionally qualified as a Registered Massage Therapist and over 15 years experience as an RMT in Canada. She has found that Australia has the most bizarre immigration and visa system which even the immigration officers in Perth had trouble interpreting when she and her husband visited them last year. There are so many restrictions for working and accessing social services on top of lengthy application waiting times just to get into the country to be with her husband that it appears to be economically impractical to continue the process. This is on top of a $9 000 +/- Cdn non-refundable application fee and the need to be out of the country when the decision is made if she applies from Canada. I thought that our Canadian immigration system was Byzantine in complexity but it almost appears to be streamlined compared to Australia's.
I think the suggestion that you pay the high priced immigration consultants may be the most practical approach as they are likely to be better informed than the government departments.
Migrating on a Spouse Visa when married to an Australian citizen is usually the most straightforward visa. Degrees and jobs are totally irrelevant, and anything to do with social security is completely separate from the visa system, that is down to Centrelink and neither office will know all the details of the other - nor should they be expected to.
Having said that, no-one here would advise getting info from the immigration offices themselves, as they are not employed to advise. The way to go about it is to read the immigration website, and then consut a MARA registered agent.
In your daughter's case though it shouldn't have been necessary to even do that as Spouse Visas are generally very simple (excepting those with medical, character, former marriage issues).
It is possible to travel to Australia while a Spouse Visa is processing, you just need a quick trip offshore when its ready to grant.
I don't really understand why problems accessing social services etc makes it economically impractical for her to move here? Does Canada allow access to public welfare on arrival? (genuine question, as I don't know)

$7000 is a lot, but is about equivalent to what one would pay for skills assessments + fees for a skills visa. How much is it for a Spouse isa for Canada?
Don't know much about the Canadian system, and the Aus one is far from perfect, but I do now that the Australian system is better than trying to migrate to the UK - for one thing it does not ask for huge financial requirements for a Spouse Visa as the Uk does.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:01 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
In my earlier post I added links to the site needed for a skills assessment as painter and also for 189 visa. Have a look at both of those.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Migrating on a Spouse Visa when married to an Australian citizen is usually the most straightforward visa. Degrees and jobs are totally irrelevant, and anything to do with social security is completely separate from the visa system, that is down to Centrelink and neither office will know all the details of the other - nor should they be expected to.
Having said that, no-one here would advise getting info from the immigration offices themselves, as they are not employed to advise. The way to go about it is to read the immigration website, and then consut a MARA registered agent.
In your daughter's case though it shouldn't have been necessary to even do that as Spouse Visas are generally very simple (excepting those with medical, character, former marriage issues).
It is possible to travel to Australia while a Spouse Visa is processing, you just need a quick trip offshore when its ready to grant.
I don't really understand why problems accessing social services etc makes it economically impractical for her to move here? Does Canada allow access to public welfare on arrival? (genuine question, as I don't know)

$7000 is a lot, but is about equivalent to what one would pay for skills assessments + fees for a skills visa. How much is it for a Spouse isa for Canada?
Don't know much about the Canadian system, and the Aus one is far from perfect, but I do now that the Australian system is better than trying to migrate to the UK - for one thing it does not ask for huge financial requirements for a Spouse Visa as the Uk does.
Having recently gone through the Canadian immigration system for spouse visas, I would say that they are very similar to Australia's system for spouses. Skilled visas are a different kettle of fish, but partner visas are similar.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Jeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really nice

The Canadian system is also far from perfect but with more than 350 000 immigrants every year that is understandable although many of the potential immigrants are on a waiting list for years. Most newcomers have limited English which complicates the vetting process. The last I heard, the application fee was less than $1 000, which is still a lot of money for third world applicants.

The social services I was referring today really meant medical coverage as she was informed that a spousal visa would take a minimum of 6 months and more likely up to one year. To be unable to work for a year would likely be a serious hurdle for any immigrant classification.

The immigration offices here would always be the first approach as they are set up to advise and assist applicants not just to process the papers. Medical services for immigrants is effective three months after arrival except for refugees who are covered immediately. Government websites contain huge amounts of information and this was my daughter's first step. She then went to visit her husband in Perth and visited four different government departments where she received conflicting interpretations of the various processes re spousal, work, study, timelines, etc. leaving them more confused than ever. The paperwork continues...but she loves the city and for some strange reason our latest bout of minus 30 degrees Celsius weather has her talking continuously about beautiful birds and flowers and beaches and sunshine!!!
Thanks for all the information.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 5:55 am
Home and Happy

Default Re: What do I do to make a move from uk to australiae

The Canadian system is also far from perfect but with more than 350 000 immigrants every year that is understandable although many of the potential immigrants are on a waiting list for years. Most newcomers have limited English which complicates the vetting process. The last I heard, the application fee was less than $1 000, which is still a lot of money for third world applicants.

The social services I was referring today really meant medical coverage as she was informed that a spousal visa would take a minimum of 6 months and more likely up to one year. To be unable to work for a year would likely be a serious hurdle for any immigrant classification.

The immigration offices here would always be the first approach as they are set up to advise and assist applicants not just to process the papers. Medical services for immigrants is effective three months after arrival except for refugees who are covered immediately. Government websites contain huge amounts of information and this was my daughter's first step. She then went to visit her husband in Perth and visited four different government departments where she received conflicting interpretations of the various processes re spousal, work, study, timelines, etc. leaving them more confused than ever. The paperwork continues...but she loves the city and for some strange reason our latest bout of minus 30 degrees Celsius weather has her talking continuously about beautiful birds and flowers and beaches and sunshine!!!
Thanks for all the information.
If she applies offshore for a Spouse Visa she would get medical coverage and full working rights as soon as she arrived. ( thats why it is the "correct" way to do it ) The majority of immigrants (certainly all those with PR) get medicare on arrival, no waiting period.
If she arrives on a tourist visa and applies onshore she would get full working rights as soon as the tourist visa expires and the bridging visa kicked in

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 23rd 2018 at 5:59 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think your info is *very* out of date! Now most PR applications are processed within 6 months from the date of application, most applicants have to take an IELTS exam before being eligible to apply (other than spousal applicants), and it's over $1000 too.

Oh, and perhaps it was different in the past (although it's certainly not been the case for the past 10 years since I started working in Canadian immigration), but you can't just rock up to a CIC office to get advice. Now you'd have to hire a lawyer for that, CIC doesn't give advice other than their notorious 'misinformation line' (the call centre line staffed by people with little immigration knowledge).

HTH.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:00 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think your info is *very* out of date! Now most PR applications are processed within 6 months from the date of application, most applicants have to take an IELTS exam before being eligible to apply (other than spousal applicants), and it's over $1000 too.

Oh, and perhaps it was different in the past (although it's certainly not been the case for the past 10 years since I started working in Canadian immigration), but you can't just rock up to a CIC office to get advice. Now you'd have to hire a lawyer for that, CIC doesn't give advice other than their notorious 'misinformation line' (the call centre line staffed by people with little immigration knowledge).

HTH.
Pretty similar to Australia then
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Pretty similar to Australia then
I know very little about the Oz system, but Canada introduced an Australian style points system for economic applications 3 years ago (plus the requirement for English exam before being able to apply), so seems to be becoming more and more similar I think.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 12:04 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I know very little about the Oz system, but Canada introduced an Australian style points system for economic applications 3 years ago (plus the requirement for English exam before being able to apply), so seems to be becoming more and more similar I think.
From what I've seen the Canadian system is a bit more complex, but partner/spouse visas are very similar in requirements. And with the help of the forum I've managed to be granted a skilled visa for Australia and a spouse visa for Canada.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 12:22 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Dorothy
From what I've seen the Canadian system is a bit more complex, but partner/spouse visas are very similar in requirements. And with the help of the forum I've managed to be granted a skilled visa for Australia and a spouse visa for Canada.
Pity Jerboam didn't point his daughter in the direction of the forum really