Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

What do I do to make a move from uk to australia

What do I do to make a move from uk to australia

Old Jan 19th 2018, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

GemmS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What do I do to make a move from uk to australia

Hi,
I'm sorry if this post is very vague..
My partner, myself and our two young children are looking to move from the uk to Australia in the near future. We've spoke about it for so long but just never known what we actually have to do to make this a reality.
I don't even know where to begin, who do you even speak to about this type of move? we'd like to know if its even possible for us and if not what changes we'd need to make so we want to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. So if anyone of you lovely brits who have made the move could point us in the right direction it would be very much appreciated!!!
I've had a look online but its just coming up with so many different things I dont know which one is right or wrong so even if someone could link a reliable website I could have a look through that would be helpful.
Many Thanks,
Gemma
Old Jan 20th 2018, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I do to make a move from uk to australia

The main thing is you will need a job on the list. All can be found on the official website here http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/work/work

If you let us know a bit about yourselves like ages, jobs, qualifications etc we can help to give you an idea.

Only one of you needs to meet the skills criteria and the rest of the family can be added to the visa.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rammygirl
The main thing is you will need a job on the list. All can be found on the

If you let us know a bit about yourselves like ages, jobs, qualifications etc we can help to give you an idea.

Only one of you needs to meet the skills criteria and the rest of the family can be added to the visa.
That’s brilliant, thank you, I’ll have a look at that website after this reply.
Sorry if this is rather long but I suppose the more info the better, my husband has been a qualified painter and decorator for the past 8 years or so, he’s currently got the chance to do a different career path with BT (telecoms), which he will also gain training and more qualifications from.
I’m 22, I’ve got a qualification in Health and Social Care Level 3, I was going to apply for university to become a nurse but a little bundle of joy decided to make an appearance before I had the chance to, Then before we knew it another bundle of joy arrived, inbetween that I’ve been doing cleaning/waitressing to help my family financially. I am in hopes to get better qualifications behind me though before we could possibly move.
We have a mortgage on a property here in the uk. So then there’s the big decision on whether renting our home here or selling it would be the better option !
We are hoping to make the move within the next 5 years, rather a long time I know but we just want to get the ball rolling now to make sure that by the time that comes we’ve done everything we need to make the move more achievable.
I’m just rather confused. If only there was a simple checklist of the whole process .. I can pray there is one out there though right ??!!
Many Thanks,
Gemma.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

WRUSSELL is an unknown quantity at this point

From what you have posted, it looks as if you might not have straightforward visa pathway at this stage. May I suggest that you consult a registerd migration agent for advice about developing a visa strategy?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 3:14 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Painting trades worker is on the skilled occupation list if your OH doesn't change his job. Skills assessment is TRA - http://www.tradesrecognitionaustrali...s/default.aspx

Information on 189 skilled visa here - http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/189-

To be eligible, only one of you needs a skilled occupation. You also need to be able to pass the skills assessment, and reach the required points total. You should be able to find more info in the links.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

For, say, a 189 visa (permanent residence), it is a points-tested system. You need to have 60 points to submit an expression of interest. Here is a points calculator, to see where you stand:

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/...nts-table.aspx

However - it is not "60 points and you are in." It is a ranking and those with the most points, get in first. So you can submit at 60 points, but may never get an invitation. The more points, the better.

So, as a first step, use the calculator and if you are at 60 points or more, you can look at where your occupation is on the list:

http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/V...upations-lists

If it is on the list, then you have to undergo a "skills assessment" by the competent authority for that listed occupation, and the skills assessment must be positive. If your occupation is not on the list, or you get a negative skills assessment - you cannot apply for this visa.

If you have a positive skills assessment, and have assessed yourself at 60 points or more, you can submit an expression of interest and if drawn will allow you to apply for the visa.

Keep in mind - the skills assessment is a major, major step and is not a formality. Your occupation must match the descriptions - there is absolutely no room for fudging or curves. Every year we get people on here who are very excited because they see "secondary school teacher" or "youth worker" on the list and think that, because they ran a summer camp for teens a while ago, they can massage that so it fits "teacher" or "youth worker." It doesn't. So read the descriptions very, very carefully.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WRUSSELL
From what you have posted, it looks as if you might not have straightforward visa pathway at this stage. May I suggest that you consult a registerd migration agent for advice about developing a visa strategy?
Ok thank you, I’ll look into that
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carcajou
For, say, a 189 visa (permanent residence), it is a points-tested system. You need to have 60 points to submit an expression of interest. Here is a points calculator, to see where you stand:

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/...nts-table.aspx

However - it is not "60 points and you are in." It is a ranking and those with the most points, get in first. So you can submit at 60 points, but may never get an invitation. The more points, the better.

So, as a first step, use the calculator and if you are at 60 points or more, you can look at where your occupation is on the list:

http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/V...upations-lists

If it is on the list, then you have to undergo a "skills assessment" by the competent authority for that listed occupation, and the skills assessment must be positive. If your occupation is not on the list, or you get a negative skills assessment - you cannot apply for this visa.

If you have a positive skills assessment, and have assessed yourself at 60 points or more, you can submit an expression of interest and if drawn will allow you to apply for the visa.

Keep in mind - the skills assessment is a major, major step and is not a formality. Your occupation must match the descriptions - there is absolutely no room for fudging or curves. Every year we get people on here who are very excited because they see "secondary school teacher" or "youth worker" on the list and think that, because they ran a summer camp for teens a while ago, they can massage that so it fits "teacher" or "youth worker." It doesn't. So read the descriptions very, very carefully.
Hi,
Right ok, that’s actually a big help thank you so much !! I’ll do that calculator and see where we currently are.
That’s why we’ve given ourselves the 5 year goal, mainly so I can go back to get more qualifications and to also get work experience in a skilled Job.
I’ll have a look at those websites
Thanks you so much.
Gemma
Old Jan 21st 2018, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GemmS14
Hi,
Right ok, that’s actually a big help thank you so much !! I’ll do that calculator and see where we currently are.
That’s why we’ve given ourselves the 5 year goal, mainly so I can go back to get more qualifications and to also get work experience in a skilled Job.
I’ll have a look at those websites
Thanks you so much.
Gemma
Given your husband may qualify now, I would apply now as only one of you needs to be the main applicant with a occupation on the lists. Waiting is dangerous as occupations are removed regularly
Old Jan 21st 2018, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
Given your husband may qualify now, I would apply now as only one of you needs to be the main applicant with a occupation on the lists. Waiting is dangerous as occupations are removed regularly
Oh wow ok ! I’m sorry to bug you with constant questions but this is the bit that’s got me confused the most .. where do you apply for a visa ? Is it done online .. but there are so many dodgy sites out there. I’ve heard you’ve got to take a health check of some sort so how is that exactly done ? I literally know nothing about this whole process and don’t know anyone personally who’s done this type of move to ask them everything they done. I done that point calculator and that seems pretty positive too. Thank you so much for replying to me, you’ve been extremely helpful !!
Many Thanks,
Gemma
X
Old Jan 21st 2018, 5:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow ok ! I’m sorry to bug you with constant questions but this is the bit that’s got me confused the most .. where do you apply for a visa ? Is it done online .. but there are so many dodgy sites out there. I’ve heard you’ve got to take a health check of some sort so how is that exactly done ? I literally know nothing about this whole process and don’t know anyone personally who’s done this type of move to ask them everything they done. I done that point calculator and that seems pretty positive too. Thank you so much for replying to me, you’ve been extremely helpful !!
Many Thanks,
Gemma
X
You apply online, through the site that has been linked to already, Dept of Home Affairs. That's the official site for the immigration department in Australia. Follow the link earlier for the 189 and read it all carefully.

Yes, you will all need to have medicals but thats a fair way down the track yet.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You apply online, through the site that has been linked to already, Dept of Home Affairs. That's the official site for the immigration department in Australia. Follow the link earlier for the 189 and read it all carefully.

Yes, you will all need to have medicals but thats a fair way down the track yet.
Brilliant. Thank you all so much
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 6:09 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant. Thank you all so much
In my earlier post I added links to the site needed for a skills assessment as painter and also for 189 visa. Have a look at both of those.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
In my earlier post I added links to the site needed for a skills assessment as painter and also for 189 visa. Have a look at both of those.
Ok, fab thank you.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Jeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really niceJeraboam is just really nice

My daughter is married to an Australian, has two university degrees, professionally qualified as a Registered Massage Therapist and over 15 years experience as an RMT in Canada. She has found that Australia has the most bizarre immigration and visa system which even the immigration officers in Perth had trouble interpreting when she and her husband visited them last year. There are so many restrictions for working and accessing social services on top of lengthy application waiting times just to get into the country to be with her husband that it appears to be economically impractical to continue the process. This is on top of a $9 000 +/- Cdn non-refundable application fee and the need to be out of the country when the decision is made if she applies from Canada. I thought that our Canadian immigration system was Byzantine in complexity but it almost appears to be streamlined compared to Australia's.
I think the suggestion that you pay the high priced immigration consultants may be the most practical approach as they are likely to be better informed than the government departments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.