Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Want to move to Australia but don't know where to start please help.

Want to move to Australia but don't know where to start please help.

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move to Australia but don't know where to start please help.

Originally Posted by vixmony
Hello many thanks for your sound advise. I had asked this in another thread but I suppose should keep it on my own one. So as my wife does not meet the criteria can she still move if I do meet the criteria myself or I would have to go first then invite and arrange for her to come?
At the moment I have 25 points for age, 15 for qualifications, and hoping to get the 20 for ilets. Now according to the aasw application forms if I pay an extra $250 I get a skills assessment done. How many extra points will this be please?

Zero extra points.

You are not understanding the process. Points do not matter without a positive skills assessment. You MUST have a positive skills assessment from your skills assessor, and your profession must be on the shortage list, to qualify for migration.

Just being able to claim 60 points means no migration for you. Positive skills assessment, PLUS 60 points minimum.

Your wife can be included on your own application.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:06 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move to Australia but don't know where to start please help.

Hello many thanks for your sound advise. I had asked this in another thread but I suppose should keep it on my own one. So as my wife does not meet the criteria can she still move if I do meet the criteria myself or I would have to go first then invite and arrange for her to come?
At the moment I have 25 points for age, 15 for qualifications, and hoping to get the 20 for ilets. Now according to the aasw application forms if I pay an extra $250 I get a skills assessment done. How many extra points will this be please?
I think you are referring to the extra assessment of skilled experience. Points are awarded depending on the number of full years that can be verified, providing it is at a suitable level. 3 years of skilled experience is worth 5 points. AASW can provide an opinion on your experience, but DIBP award points.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:01 am
Just Joined

vixmony is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your input. So for my wife if she goes with me to Australia, is she able to do a top up whilst she is there to practice as a nurse?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

If you attain permanent residency, and your wife is on your application, she will attain permanent residency as well.

She will be able to do whatever she needs to do in order to meet the requirements to obtain registration - bear in mind that may mean taking a three-year university course (though she may get some partial recognition for prior learning, or be able to take a shorter, but expensive, bridging course).

Though I am a bit surprised at your phrasing - "if she goes with me to Australia."
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 9:23 am
Just Joined

vixmony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carcajou
If you attain permanent residency, and your wife is on your application, she will attain permanent residency as well.

She will be able to do whatever she needs to do in order to meet the requirements to obtain registration - bear in mind that may mean taking a three-year university course (though she may get some partial recognition for prior learning, or be able to take a shorter, but expensive, bridging course).

Though I am a bit surprised at your phrasing - "if she goes with me to Australia."
She's debating now with the degree issue. She's quite high up for the private nursing company she works. Doing the top up could take her at least 18 months so she's not very happy.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

She's debating now with the degree issue. She's quite high up for the private nursing company she works. Doing the top up could take her at least 18 months so she's not very happy.
Even with a degree, most people find they have to take a fairly big step back in their career in order to get a foot in.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 6:04 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Even with a degree, most people find they have to take a fairly big step back in their career in order to get a foot in.
Or start a new career altogether. Some of us have had careers in our home country that don't transfer to another country. Polly and myself come immediately to mind.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Or start a new career altogether. Some of us have had careers in our home country that don't transfer to another country. Polly and myself come immediately to mind.
Yep, too true. Abandoned one good career, started another again from the bottom. Bit of a gamble but it has worked in the end.