Visa application query

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:13 am
Just Joined

RedSnapper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa application query

Hi there,

I have a few questions relating to possible migration to Australia for my wife and I and our two kids.

I'm a freelance photographer, and have been for the last 8 years. I have no degree and I'm 40.

I don't qualify for anything on the SOL or points system.

My wife (36) has a first class BA hons in Media and English from a UK university, and has worked as a journalist/editor for the past 11 years.

She has recently made the decision to change her career and re train as a primary school teacher, and will start as a teachers assistant in September at a local primary school.

On top of this, she is looking to study a PGCE.

We're currently checking to see if her UK degree will allow her to study this PGCE off campus with the Australian Open University.

I checked with a MARA approved immigration lawyer who said that after she graduates the PGCE, she then has to complete 3 years work before we can apply for a visa.

Furthermore, he said the qualification should be from a UK university as she's a Brit.

- Does that time frame sound correct?
- Does the qualification have to come from a UK uni?
- Wouldn't a quicker route be to apply for jobs in Oz after qualification, or do schools demand a certain minimum of work experience?
- Does the PGCE qualification from the Australian Open University have different acceptance in different Aussie states?

Secondly, we had also been told that media personnel were not included on the skilled occupation list for people applying for visas to Australia.

But when we checked the list today,

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf - as updated July 2010,

it states that print journalists, copywriters, editors, tv journalists etc, all qualify with 50 credits.

Is this correct? Could she actually apply for a SOV with her current qualifications and experience as a journalist?

Furthermore, as a freelance photographer, are there any visa opportunities open to me, or would my best chance be to apply for jobs and get an employer based visa?

Sorry for the long post. It's a complete minefield out there in terms of what to look out for.

Cheers,
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:32 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Visa application query

Bump..
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:52 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Dear RS,

The appropriate skilled occupation list for you at the moment would be Schedule 3, not Schedule 1. See http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule3.pdf . When the state migration plans are announced then you may be able to take advantage of Schedule 4, assuming there's a state or territory interested in sponsoring you.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Thank you George, and I have a few questions regarding this.

Please excuse my ignorance, as this is all new to me.

1) Why do we now have to refer to Schedule 3 when they were both valid from July 1st? Is it anything to do with time of application for the visa?

2) If an occupation is not on Schedule 3, does that mean it is now not a wanted skill?

My wife wants to train as a primary school teacher, which was on Schedule 1, but not 3. Does this mean primary school teachers do not now qualify on the SOL?

3) Schedule 4 SOL includes both phtographer (me) and primary school teacher (the wife) on the list as either 176 (Skilled – Sponsored), 886 (Skilled – Sponsored), 475 (Skilled – Regional Sponsored) and 487 (Skilled – Regional Sponsored) subclasses.

What does that mean? We can apply for visas if we have a state sponsor? What's a state sponsor? A job offer from a state recognized company or institution?

Cheers,

Last edited by RedSnapper; Aug 3rd 2010 at 7:43 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:49 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedSnapper

1) Why do we now have to refer to Schedule 3 when they were both valid from July 1st? Is it anything to do with time of application for the visa?

2) If an occupation is not on Schedule 3, does that mean it is now not a wanted skill?

My wife wants to train as a primary school teacher, which was on Schedule 1, but not 3. Does this mean primary school teachers do not now qualify on the SOL?

3) Schedule 4 SOL includes both phtographer (me) and primary school teacher (the wife) on the list as either 176 (Skilled – Sponsored), 886 (Skilled – Sponsored), 475 (Skilled – Regional Sponsored) and 487 (Skilled – Regional Sponsored) subclasses.

What does that mean? We can apply for visas if we have a state sponsor? What's a state sponsor? A job offer from a state recognized company or institution?

Cheers,
Dear RS,

Sorry, all too complex to manage as a thread enquiry.

You're welcome to use our online assessment form at www.austimmigration.com.au to work through this precisely and in detail.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks George. Will do that today.

Cheers.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
Redsnapper, you need to focus upon schedule 3 and schedule 4. Schedule 1 and 2 are old lists and not relevant.

In a nutshell, if your occupation is on schedule 3 you could apply for an independent skilled worker visa. If your occupation is on schedule 4 then things are a lot tougher, you would only be able to apply for skilled migration if you can obtain sponsorship from one of the states, this is not a job offer, it is just that they will sponsor your visa application. Note that the states do not necessarily sponsor all occupations on schedule 4, you have to trawl through them and see which do and which don't.

If your OH is considering pursuing primary teaching purely as a means to obtaining Australian PR then I would be inclined to say it is a bad idea, primary teachers are not hard to find in Australia and that is why it only appears on schedule 4 but not schedule 3. Of course if she is following this path as it is something she feels a calling for that is another matter.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bermuda.

We both fall in list 4.. So getting sponsorship from a state would mean knowing someone in a government position that might be able to help?

I can't see how else it would work, unless my wife applies to a state school and I find a government minister that needs a vanity photographer!

Confusing ain't the word!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bermuda.

We both fall in list 4.. So getting sponsorship from a state would mean knowing someone in a government position that might be able to help?

I can't see how else it would work, unless my wife applies to a state school and I find a government minister that needs a vanity photographer!

Confusing ain't the word!
Umm it just means you have to apply for state sponsorship, like many people do. I am sure most don't know anybody working in government either. Also as I said, this is not about finding a job, it is just an application for sponsorship.

You need to go to the state websites and look for their occupation in demand lists to see if your occupations are on there. The timing is not good though as a lot of the lists are about to be revamped and are on hold at the moment.

Oh yes and of course as your wife is not a teacher yet, obviously you can only apply under the occupations you are currently working in.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Aug 3rd 2010 at 5:54 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bermuda.