Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Visa application- is it forbidden to send originals of documents?

Visa application- is it forbidden to send originals of documents?

Old Mar 27th 2006, 12:23 pm
Kramer

CKramer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa application- is it forbidden to send originals of documents?

Visa 136/139 guidelines say that one should send "certified copies of all documents" (except for assesment/police fo course.

It doesn't say "you may send originals or certified copies".

Does that mean that I am required to make copies even if I am okay with losing originals?
Does that eman that I need to make certified copies of everything, like Job References and send them, not originals?
I can send originals of most documents as I have them in new of each anyway.

Anyone sent original documents (except for assesment/police) ?
Old Mar 27th 2006, 12:35 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa application- is it forbidden to send originals of documents?

Originally Posted by CKramer
Visa 136/139 guidelines say that one should send "certified copies of all documents" (except for assesment/police fo course.

It doesn't say "you may send originals or certified copies".

Does that mean that I am required to make copies even if I am okay with losing originals?
Does that eman that I need to make certified copies of everything, like Job References and send them, not originals?
I can send originals of most documents as I have them in new of each anyway.

Anyone sent original documents (except for assesment/police) ?
You will need to send only copies of everything, not originals.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice

hi i have sent some originals and some copies cant see there being a problem if say you have been provided with two or three work refs! as long as you have a copy and dimia have a copy and you have 1 for traif needed have 1 but then again you may want to keep a 1 for work purposes! so i think its up to you!
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:05 pm
Kramer

CKramer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
You will need to send only copies of everything, not originals.
I don't get it. Why I "need" to send a copy? I can send original no problem. Is copy somehow better than original?

Maybe DIMIA think that copy is better because aplicant may bother them to send back the originals??
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you send the original, and it is not returned, then you no longer have the original!
So the next time you are asked for a "certified copy of the original" - you can't provide it, can you?!

If they ask for a copy, send them a copy.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

I sent an original letter for my proof of work experience - my company HR center sent me 5 "originals" when I asked for them, and I can get more if I need them anyway. I would think DIMIA would happily accept original documents so long as you are fine with never getting them back.

Cheers,
Brian

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you send the original, and it is not returned, then you no longer have the original!
So the next time you are asked for a "certified copy of the original" - you can't provide it, can you?!

If they ask for a copy, send them a copy.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian0
I sent an original letter for my proof of work experience - my company HR center sent me 5 "originals" when I asked for them, and I can get more if I need them anyway. I would think DIMIA would happily accept original documents so long as you are fine with never getting them back.

Cheers,
Brian
Stuff like that would be fine - however, beware of sending "originals" of certificates - for exams, diploma awards etc, its that sort of thing I was thinking of.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Sure, if it's a "one of a kind" thing then clearly you need to send a copy.

Cheers,
Brian

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Stuff like that would be fine - however, beware of sending "originals" of certificates - for exams, diploma awards etc, its that sort of thing I was thinking of.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Sideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really niceSideys is just really nice
Unhappy Re: Visa application- is it forbidden to send originals of documents?

From what i have been told by my agent, the do not accept originals at all, and this is apparently due to one of them losing someones documents a while back and since then it has to be only originals.