British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Visa after PhD (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/visa-after-phd-907296/)

illuminates Dec 30th 2017 1:02 pm

Visa after PhD

Hello!
1) I have a Student visa (subclass 500) as PhD student. I will be PhD student still three-four years.
2) But what after? I think I may get Temporary Graduate Visa (sub-type 485) for four years. And I want to work in a university as PostDoc or lector.
3) After that, there is 186, 189, 190 and Temporary Skilled Shortage (TSS) visa. But if I will be work as PostDoc may I expect only on 186 from university (in MLTSSL isn't included any university professions)?

So If I want to get 189, 190 or TSS, I will have to go on some MLTSSL professional for one year (for example IT) after PhD?

illuminates Dec 30th 2017 1:19 pm

Re: Visa after PhD

PS My wife arrived in Australia with me and working now (her job presents in MLTSSL). Now her working visa is linked to my student visa. Maybe does she has more chance to submit to 189, 190 visas?

(I don't have work experience and I do a Phd in physics)

Dorothy Dec 31st 2017 4:58 am

There is no way to tell what the requirements for a visa will be in 4 years. Anyone who tries to tell you anything concrete about getting a permanent visa is only telling you what you want to hear. Visa requirements and subclasses get reviewed/removed regularly.

Get your PhD because you want to study, not for a chance at a visa.

verystormy Dec 31st 2017 5:42 am

Agree with Dorothy. It is impossible to say what your prospects will be for a visa in a number of years time. The entire system is likely to be totally different by then. My advice is that if your wife qualifies for a visa now then apply now.

illuminates Dec 31st 2017 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12407792)
There is no way to tell what the requirements for a visa will be in 4 years. Anyone who tries to tell you anything concrete about getting a permanent visa is only telling you what you want to hear. Visa requirements and subclasses get reviewed/removed regularly.

Get your PhD because you want to study, not for a chance at a visa.

Thank you for your answer. I want to add that visa of my wife is linked to my student visa (Australian Dependent Student Visa). Does she have a chance to submit to 189 or 190 visas (and to include me also even though I have 500 visa) after a year of her work as a soft engineer? She has a master and bachelor degrees in physics.

rammygirl Jan 1st 2018 3:11 am

Yes if she qualifies your wife can apply for a PR visa and include you.