From Visa 489 to PR

Old Sep 28th 2015, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

nilv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From Visa 489 to PR

Hi all,

I applied for this visa 489 (family sponsored) and noted that it states:

"This visa provides a pathway to permanent residence through the Skilled-Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887)"

My understanding was that 2 years after I move to Australia on the 489 visa mentioned above I can apply for PR status - but the visa 887 pathway statement has confused me slightly.

Does anyone know how this works?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 11:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From Visa 489 to PR

Originally Posted by nilv
Hi all, I applied for this visa 489 (family sponsored) and noted that it states: "This visa provides a pathway to permanent residence through the Skilled-Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887)" My understanding was that 2 years after I move to Australia on the 489 visa mentioned above I can apply for PR status - but the visa 887 pathway statement has confused me slightly. Does anyone know how this works? Thanks in advance.
To obtain PR from 489 than you apply for 887 when you satisfy the conditions - what's confusing?
Old Sep 29th 2015, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
To obtain PR from 489 than you apply for 887 when you satisfy the conditions - what's confusing?
Thanks for the reply.

Ok i see - guess it is the wording that confused me as they state "apply for a 887 visa" & in my mind i wondered why apply for another "visa"...

So in summary:
1.) Receive the 489 visa & after 2 years provided the conditions are met 2.) Apply for a 887 visa (that is, the actual PR)

Correct?
Old Sep 29th 2015, 11:40 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nilv
Thanks for the reply. Ok i see - guess it is the wording that confused me as they state "apply for a 887 visa" & in my mind i wondered why apply for another "visa"... So in summary:1.) Receive the 489 visa & after 2 years provided the conditions are met 2.) Apply for a 887 visa (that is, the actual PR) Correct?
You need to live in a regional area for at least 2 years (and work full time for 1) but yes, once conditions are met you can apply for the 887 which is the PR visa
Old Sep 29th 2015, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
You need to live in a regional area for at least 2 years (and work full time for 1) but yes, once conditions are met you can apply for the 887 which is the PR visa
Brilliant - i read the conditions and they are all achievable for the PR...

Many thanks again for clarifying the "visa" matter.

Cheers!