Various Info needed...

Old Jan 25th 2001, 9:30 pm
all4one

Hi,

Nice to see some many helpful people here, I'm thinking of the big escape from the UK but
need a few pointers.

1, Oz or NZ ? is the NZ backdoor still open into Oz, I've heard it is'nt if so what are
the rules ?

2, If I was successful in my application could I come back to the UK after a certain
period and work whilst still holding my Oz/NZ Residency ?

3, And finally to make things complicated - is it any easier to get my Thai girlfriend
into NZ or Oz (I seem to remember NZ and Thailand having an agreement, is this still
in place ?)

Any answers to these would be appreciated..

Cheers,

all4one

Old Jan 27th 2001, 12:06 am
JAJ

Hi,
>
>Nice to see some many helpful people here, I'm thinking of the big escape from the UK but
>need a few pointers.
>
>1, Oz or NZ ? is the NZ backdoor still open into Oz, I've heard it is'nt if so what are
>the rules ?

If you're not an NZ citizen there is no backdoor. NZ residency gives you no special rights
in Australia.

At the moment NZ citizens can work in Australia, and both governments say this will
continue, but there almost certainly will be changes in 2001 that could mean that NZ
citizenship won't give you the full rights of an Australian permanent resident.

You would be eligible for NZ citizenship after 3 years living in NZ. What the rights of NZ
citizens in Australia will be by then is anyone's guess.

If you apply to NZ, do it on it's own merits, not because you want to eventually live in
Australia. 3-4 years can be a long time to spend somewhere you're not really committed to,
and NZ is a great country in its own right.

>
>2, If I was successful in my application could I come back to the UK after a certain
>period and work whilst still holding my Oz/NZ Residency ?

Yes. Both countries allow permanent residents to spend a certain amount of time overseas
without losing PR.

>
>3, And finally to make things complicated - is it any easier to get my Thai girlfriend
>into NZ or Oz (I seem to remember NZ and Thailand having an agreement, is this still
>in place ?)

In terms of tourist status, Thai citizens now need visas to enter NZ (from 1.1.2001).

If you're planning to apply to migrate, and you have a 'de-facto' relationship with her,
why not include her on your migration app (or marry her). If you haven't got to that
stage, you would have to sponsor her for settlement on spouse/de facto grounds after you
get PR and that would take more time.

Jeremy

Old Jan 27th 2001, 12:36 pm
all4one

Thanks alot Jeremy, quality information.

One other point:-

I currently have MCP, MCP+I, MSCE in the IT world (worked in IT for 6 years but no
diplomas etc) although I have read that this would not guarantee me entry to either
country, do you think it helps that I am also single and under 30 (do they favour single
status ??)

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> >On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:30:23 GMT, [email protected] wrote: Hi,
> >
> >Nice to see some many helpful people here, I'm thinking of the big escape from the UK
> >but need a few pointers.
> >
> >1, Oz or NZ ? is the NZ backdoor still open into Oz, I've heard it is'nt if so what are
> >the rules ?
>
> If you're not an NZ citizen there is no backdoor. NZ residency gives you no special
> rights in Australia.
>
> At the moment NZ citizens can work in Australia, and both governments say this will
> continue, but there almost certainly will be changes in 2001 that could mean that NZ
> citizenship won't give you the full rights of an Australian permanent resident.
>
> You would be eligible for NZ citizenship after 3 years living in NZ. What the rights of
> NZ citizens in Australia will be by then is anyone's guess.
>
> If you apply to NZ, do it on it's own merits, not because you want to eventually live in
> Australia. 3-4 years can be a long time to spend somewhere you're not really committed
> to, and NZ is a great country in its own right.
>
> >
> >2, If I was successful in my application could I come back to the UK after a certain
> >period and work whilst still holding my Oz/NZ Residency ?
>
> Yes. Both countries allow permanent residents to spend a certain amount of time overseas
> without losing PR.
>
> >
> >3, And finally to make things complicated - is it any easier to get
my
> >Thai girlfriend into NZ or Oz (I seem to remember NZ and Thailand having an agreement,
> >is this still in place ?)
>
> In terms of tourist status, Thai citizens now need visas to enter NZ (from 1.1.2001).
>
> If you're planning to apply to migrate, and you have a 'de-facto' relationship with her,
> why not include her on your migration app (or marry her). If you haven't got to that
> stage, you would have to sponsor her for settlement on spouse/de facto grounds after you
> get PR and that would take more time.
>
> Jeremy

Old Feb 9th 2001, 10:04 am
R. MacKinnon

I live near toronto Canada ,,I have no special skills ,,,but I am a hard worker ,,I met a
lady from Melbourne 16 months ago ,,on line ,,and she came to be with me for 3 weeks ,,,we
have decided to be together ,,but there is a catch ,,we are both still married ,,she wants
to come here for 1 year ,,and have me return with her ,,,what can we do to make this all
hapen ,,,if anyone can help ,,it will be a blessing ,,as we both know nothing about the
processes we have to go through

> >Hi,
> >
> >Nice to see some many helpful people here, I'm thinking of the big escape from the UK
> >but need a few pointers.
> >
> >1, Oz or NZ ? is the NZ backdoor still open into Oz, I've heard it is'nt if so what are
> >the rules ?
>
> If you're not an NZ citizen there is no backdoor. NZ residency gives you no special
> rights in Australia.
>
> At the moment NZ citizens can work in Australia, and both governments say this will
> continue, but there almost certainly will be changes in 2001 that could mean that NZ
> citizenship won't give you the full rights of an Australian permanent resident.
>
> You would be eligible for NZ citizenship after 3 years living in NZ. What the rights of
> NZ citizens in Australia will be by then is anyone's guess.
>
> If you apply to NZ, do it on it's own merits, not because you want to eventually live in
> Australia. 3-4 years can be a long time to spend somewhere you're not really committed
> to, and NZ is a great country in its own right.
>
> >
> >2, If I was successful in my application could I come back to the UK after a certain
> >period and work whilst still holding my Oz/NZ Residency ?
>
> Yes. Both countries allow permanent residents to spend a certain amount of time overseas
> without losing PR.
>
>
> >
> >3, And finally to make things complicated - is it any easier to get my Thai girlfriend
> >into NZ or Oz (I seem to remember NZ and Thailand having an agreement, is this still in
> >place ?)
>
> In terms of tourist status, Thai citizens now need visas to enter NZ (from 1.1.2001).
>
> If you're planning to apply to migrate, and you have a 'de-facto' relationship with her,
> why not include her on your migration app (or marry her). If you haven't got to that
> stage, you would have to sponsor her for settlement on spouse/de facto grounds after you
> get PR and that would take more time.
>
>
> Jeremy