Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Urgent: Tourist Visa (600) condition 12 months stay in 18 months period

Urgent: Tourist Visa (600) condition 12 months stay in 18 months period

Old Jan 26th 2018, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

ChrisGovas is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Urgent: Tourist Visa (600) condition 12 months stay in 18 months period

Dear Users,

My parents has got 3 years of tourist visa and its details are as follows:

Visa grant date: 2 August 2016
Must not arrive after 2 August 2019
Stay Period: 12 month(s) from the date of each arrival
Visa Condition: 8558 Maximum 12 months stay in 18 Months
Travel facility: Multiple

My question is does the above visa condition of 18 months is applicable from the date of visa grant or date of arrival in Australia. I mean when does the 18 months period starts from.

My parent first visit to Australia after visa grant: 12 August 2016
Returned: 8 August 2017
Total stay period: 361 days (4 days less in 12 months)

So, if I calculate the 18 months period from the day of visa grant, then they can have second visit after 2 February 2018 since visa grant date is 2 August 2016. But if I do so from the first day of arrival, then they can come only after 12 February 2018.

Can anyone tell me whether they can arrive after 2 February 2018 or 12 February 2018? Because if they have second visit after 2 February, I am worried they may not over stay.

Thank you.

Last edited by ChrisGovas; Jan 26th 2018 at 3:13 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent: Tourist Visa (600) condition 12 months stay in 18 months period

Not a trick. Simply they cannot be in Australia for more than 12 months in any 18. So if they have been in Australia for 12 months they must leave for 6 months before returning. The only thing the grant date refers to is the ability to enter Australia. If they enter before it expires they can still stay for 12 months even if the actual visa will expire whilst they are here.
Read the words logically it is clear enough.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Urgent: Tourist Visa (600) condition 12 months stay in 18 months period

I did got the point. But still I am confused. So my parents visa was granted on 2 August 2016. They were in Australia from 8 August 2016 to 12 August 2017(361 days, less than 12 months). So if they visit again on 4th of February 2018 and if we calculate from 4th of August 2016 to 4th of February 2018 which is 18 months, they only stayed for 361 days, which means they can come again in 4th of February.

So, if this is true, then the days they are overseas before they visit Australia after Visa grant also counts. Am I right?

Thank you.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but if they come again and stay for 12 months without staying out for 6 then at some point they will break the limit. It is in any 18 month period so you look back from where you are now. Safer to stay out for 6 months then you are sure they can stay for 12.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 11:58 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Given that they left Australia on the 8th August I would suggest they plan on arriving on or after 9th Feb to show 6 months out of the country (I believe day of arrival and day of leaving are counted as days in Australia)
Old Jan 27th 2018, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

For the sake of a couple of weeks book for the later dates. Best be safe and not worry. Count a clear 188 days since they left an add a couple to be on the safe side.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 1:51 am
Just Joined

Thank you everyone. Your response is highly appreciated. Now I am crystal clear what do I need to do.

Have a good weekend.

Thank you once again.