UK Electrician to Australian electrician

Old Feb 15th 2017, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Julie Atkinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Electrician to Australian electrician

I'm hoping someone can help me please?

My son qualified in the UK as an electrician and is now working in Australia (Sydney) under sponsorship with a small electrical company. He would like to become a fully qualified Australian electrician and obtain permanent residency so that he can maximise his future opportunities and income and possibly eventually setup his own business in Australia.

Can anyone please provide advice as to the best way to achieve this?

Thank you.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 9:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Electrician to Australian electrician

Originally Posted by Julie Atkinson
I'm hoping someone can help me please?

My son qualified in the UK as an electrician and is now working in Australia (Sydney) under sponsorship with a small electrical company. He would like to become a fully qualified Australian electrician and obtain permanent residency so that he can maximise his future opportunities and income and possibly eventually setup his own business in Australia.

Can anyone please provide advice as to the best way to achieve this?

Thank you.
So is he currently on a 457 visa? What trad eis he working in at present if not as an electrician?
Old Feb 16th 2017, 6:32 am
Just Joined

He is working as an electrician. I'm not sure what his visa is called but he earned the right go back for a second year and has now found an employer to sponsor him but we're finding it hard to discover what the correct route is for him to become a fully fledged Australian electrician.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 7:27 am
Just Joined

He is on a 457 visa.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 7:58 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

He is on a 457 visa.
He could approach TAFE NSW to see if they will do an RPL (recognition of prior learning) or he could pay a company like Get Qualified (not sure how good or bad they are). He needs to get a cert III in electrotechnology to get licensed.

The alternative would be to approach Vetassess, Future Skills or Vic Uni for a skills assessment. If successful he could get an OTSR, and use this to get provisionally licensed with fairtrading. He should then be able to cover any gap training needed, and the prac requirements to get a full license.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much Old Sparkles. :-)
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:07 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much Old Sparkles. :-)
Not a problem. My license is here in SA so know the process but not the NSW specifics, but TAFE should be able to help. If they can't, they should know which organisations are local to him.

There are a few NSW sparks who post in our electrician's section - Electricians - British Expats - Jockstar being on (http://britishexpats.com/forum/elect...fields-884918/) who may have more info. He pops by fairly regularly so hopefully he may see this
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Brilliant. Thank you so much. x
Old Feb 16th 2017, 9:18 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Been a while since i done mine. I could do distance learning through SEEK in SA. then transfer over to NSW. But i dont think this route is available anymore. As stated above by sparkles. Best to contact TAFE Pretty sure you can do 1 or 2 nights a week and then you get your licence.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Thank you Jockstar. :-)