Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:20 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

In an unexpected announcement affecting skilled migration to Australia, the body that assesses the competencies of most trade skills occupations (Trades Recognition Australia) has announced the removal of the assessment pathway for those who do not have qualifications.
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=424

Best regards.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

tezluelle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
In an unexpected announcement affecting skilled migration to Australia, the body that assesses the competencies of most trade skills occupations (Trades Recognition Australia) has announced the removal of the assessment pathway for those who do not have qualifications.

Best regards.
Oh my god, I can't believe it. That totally puts a spanner in the works for us. Will ahve to find out what qualifications they want so he can get them i am so gutted about that, if only we haf perservered and sent off the TRA last year
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

scooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nice
Default Re: Trade skills assessment pathway removed for those without qualifications

Hey!

Do we know if this affects everyone or just new applicants? Think this should mess up a few people!

Dan and Steph
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scooterdan
Hey!

Do we know if this affects everyone or just new applicants? Think this should mess up a few people!

Dan and Steph

Effective immediately, Skill Pathway D has been removed from the UAC. All applications TRA has received to date and not finalised, which predominantly rely on evidence of work experience and would normally be assessed under Skill Pathway D, will be returned along with the application fee. Until 30 September 2007 any subsequent applications received by TRA will also be returned with the application fee.

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonl...eptember07.pdf
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

On the link it says all applications that have been received to date and not finalised will be returned along with the fee (skill pathway D)
looks like a lot of people may be affected

Just thought maybe a mod can make this a sticky for a while?

Last edited by TMRE; Sep 5th 2007 at 9:25 am. Reason: Beaten to it!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

tezluelle is on a distinguished road

I wonder if people like me who would have applied under cat D will be able to change to cat B, informal apprenticeship. Surely this will aply to anyone who has on the job training.

I am shocked they have done this. One one hand they are calling out for Brits but lots of tradesmen don't have formal qualifications! It seems crazy. My partner is a fantastic poasterer with a brilliant reputation. A newly qualified plasterer would not be a patch on him quality wise
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

HELP PLEASE!!!

how does a locksmith apply for tra then as it has no recognised qualifications,
no certs or anything really, my oh was trained on the job.
he has eight years experience and its the only job he has ever had he started the day he left school and still works for the same co.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

does this mean he can not apply now??
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

We are going over later in the year on a 457 and were planning on applying for PR once there by doing the TRA. This has now stumped us as in England there is no qualification for a sign writter..............how are we going to get PR? Can we still apply after 2 years without the TRA? aaaahhhhhhhhhhh i cant understand why they have made such a shocking drastic change!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:13 am
Just Joined

sammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tezluelle
I wonder if people like me who would have applied under cat D will be able to change to cat B, informal apprenticeship. Surely this will aply to anyone who has on the job training.

I am shocked they have done this. One one hand they are calling out for Brits but lots of tradesmen don't have formal qualifications! It seems crazy. My partner is a fantastic poasterer with a brilliant reputation. A newly qualified plasterer would not be a patch on him quality wise
Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between cat D and cat B
thanks
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:17 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alan Collett

Best regards.
Thats just bloody "Charming':curse:

But good news for others waiting.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:31 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Thats just bloody "Charming':curse:

But good news for others waiting.
Hi Everyone,

Yes, this comes as a shock. The decision to refuse to determine applications already in processing unless already the subject of a primary refusal makes me think that they have had legal advice that what they're doing is not supported by the legislation; and if it's any reassurance I would say that 90% of Pathway D applicants from the UK could claim pathways B or C if they thought carefully about documenting the formal training they've had. The impact of this will be felt most keenly among applicants from India - where there have been many Pathway D applications - and other less well documented countries. Training courses will no doubt spring up in those places overnight.

And there's always Pathway E - for which you could obtain an Australian Certificate III through assessment only and show four years of relevant work experience.

I'd suggest that anyone likely to be affected by this seek the advice of an experienced agent - I'm happy to refer on electrical, auto and metal trades, applicants for example, as well as your standard chippies, sparkies, cooks etc; and of course compared to this the Vetassess approach suddenly sounds more attractive.

Also important to note that the 457 to PR route won't be affected by this decision, so this will be a boon for recruiting firms.

Finally, Gina and Danny can you email me please?

The full operative part of the TRA statement is as follows:

Until further notice TRA will no longer accept applications that predominantly rely on evidence
of work experience and would normally be assessed under Skill Pathway D of the UAC.
Effective immediately, Skill Pathway D has been removed from the UAC. All applications TRA
has received to date and not finalised, which predominantly rely on evidence of work
experience and would normally be assessed under Skill Pathway D, will be returned along with
the application fee. Until 30 September 2007 any subsequent applications received by TRA
will also be returned with the application fee.
Applications received on or after 1 October 2007 will be assessed by TRA against the UAC,
exclusive of the former Skill Pathway D, and the standard fee will apply.
TRA will assess all applications against the following skill pathways that require applicants to
have formal training and work experience:
Skill Pathway A: Formal apprenticeship
Skill Pathway B: Informal apprenticeship
Skill Pathway C: Vocational traineeship
Skill Pathway E: Australian qualification
The full requirements for each Skill Pathway are defined in the UAC (refer TRA Website)
Any applications already accepted and assessed by TRA under Skill Pathway D will be eligible
for an internal review against the requirements of Skill Pathway D as formerly detailed in the
UAC. This review must be requested within 60 days of the date of an applicant’s letter from
TRA advising that the original application was unsuccessful.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Last edited by George Lombard; Sep 5th 2007 at 11:40 am.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really niceIan444 is just really nice

Hi all,
A sad day by the sound of it,
My question is how do you know which skill pathway TRA are prossessing your application through, I don't have a full qualification in my trade but i do have training and went to college but only for 2 years instead of 4.
Please help.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

scooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nice

We passed TRA in January 07....already submitted for 136 visa and had meds. My first thought was what happens with us? Are we still ok as we have already had it so long before?

Im sure many ppl will be thinking the same.

Dan and Steph
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scooterdan
We passed TRA in January 07....already submitted for 136 visa and had meds. My first thought was what happens with us? Are we still ok as we have already had it so long before?

Im sure many ppl will be thinking the same.

Dan and Steph
I e mailed my agent and yes you are safe so relax, your visa is already in.
I felt sick too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.