Tourist Visa -> Working Holiday Visa?

Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:37 am
Just Joined

kflx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tourist Visa -> Working Holiday Visa?

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are looking to come out to Aus next year on a WHV (looking to get a permanent job while over there, is the plan!). We would like to spend a month/two months or so in NZ/Samoa/Fiji etc before we settle down trying to look for work in Aus.

As we would be travelling out with a fair bit of luggage between us (and don't want to lug this around NZ in a rental car!), I have a question:

Could we enter Aus on a normal tourist visa (we have friends I Sydney who we can leave our stuff with and stay with for a few days) and then go to NZ, and once we are "offshore" apply for a WHV online so that when we re enter Aus we will "start" with the full 12 months, as opposed to entering initially on a WHV and wasting 1/2 months of it not in the country?

Hopefully this makes sense, any advice would be very much appreciated (both on this question and any advice from those who have found sponsored work while on a WHV!)
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist Visa -> Working Holiday Visa?

You can apply for a WHV from anywhere and any time. They are normally granted in a matter of hours.

Note - you wont be looking for a "permanent job" as a WHV does not allow that. You can only work for one employer for a max of 6 months.

As for sponsorship? Do either of you have an occupation on one of the skilled occupation lists? (SOL or CSOL)
Old Jul 24th 2015, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Yes you're right, I should have phrased that better! Looking to find a job which may then lead to a sponsored position.

We are both in insurance which I believe appears on the CSOL (I have spoken to a visa company who checked and confirmed this in my case). We also have a number of friends from the UK working in the industry already over there, who have been helpful in giving us some pointers.

Obviously I know this is a bit of a risk, but would be happy to take any job that comes up really and willing to give it a try! This is why I was hoping it would be permitted to enter on a tourist visa then apply for the WHV while in NZ. Presumably there shouldn't be any issues with this from the immigration department's point of view?

Thanks again.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The only risk is that sometimes they issue tourist visas with a "No further stay" clause. This would bar you from a WHV for 3 years.

Do remember the VAST majority of people who come on a WHV who want to stay have to go back.

There are a number of hoops:
First, the company has to be willing to sponsor - a lot wont.
Then, they have to be able to sponsor - not every company can
Then, they have to show labour market testing. Basically show they advertised the role and were unable to otherwise fill it without sponsoring.

All at the same time in an economy is slowing and unemployment rising.

The best advice I would give is, by all means try to get it, but come with the assumption you will be having a extended holiday and nothing more.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I don't get this. Why a bar for three years. No further stay doesn't apply in this case anyway he has to be offshore to apply for a WHV.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Sorry I don't get this. Why a bar for three years. No further stay doesn't apply in this case anyway he has to be offshore to apply for a WHV.
Interested likewise. Why is someone banned for three years just because of a No further Stay clause? I always thought that just meant No further Stay?
Old Jul 25th 2015, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Because the no further stay usually lasts 3 years - so technically not a bar, in the sense of that given, but the effect is the same.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 8:14 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Because the no further stay usually lasts 3 years - so technically not a bar, in the sense of that given, but the effect is the same.
oK, thanks. So even after they have left Australia a No further stay means they can't return for a certain length of time?
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies. Having done a bit of reading I was under the impression "no further stay" meant you cannot extend or change your visa while still in Aus. I thought if you then go out of the country and reapply (say for a WHV or student visa) this no further stay word have no effect as it was attached to a different visa?

As you say above, I am aware of how many people are probably trying to get jobs over there from a WHV, however have heard a fair few success stories from people who have moved over from the UK and willing to give it a go! People we know over there also say there is a lot of "networking" that goes on and a lot of the jobs aren't advertised in the usual way. So hopefully knowing a few people will be of use..
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Not according to DIAC. The 'No further stay' applies only until the visa holder leaves Australia. So the OP can apply offshore for a WHV regardless whether their original visitor visa has the condition.

The relevant DIAC fact sheet says 'When you depart Australia a 'No Further Stay' condition will not prevent you from applying for other visas.'

Fact sheet – Waiving visa condition 8503 'No Further Stay'
Old Jul 26th 2015, 11:21 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by NickyC
Not according to DIAC. The 'No further stay' applies only until the visa holder leaves Australia. So the OP can apply offshore for a WHV regardless whether their original visitor visa has the condition.

The relevant DIAC fact sheet says 'When you depart Australia a 'No Further Stay' condition will not prevent you from applying for other visas.'

Fact sheet – Waiving visa condition 8503 'No Further Stay'
That's rather how I thought it worked. I've not heard of this three year thing before