Time span after grant of visa

Old Feb 19th 2001, 10:36 am
Daniel Ogbert

Hi,

I've been looking unsuccessfully on the DIMA site for the answer to my query, hope
someone can help.

I would like to know how long after receiving a permanent residents visa does the
applicant have to travel to Australia?

Danny

Old Feb 19th 2001, 10:54 am
Stefan vom Bruch

Hi Danny,

>I've been looking unsuccessfully on the DIMA site for the answer to my query, hope
>someone can help.
>
>I would like to know how long after receiving a permanent residents visa does the
>applicant have to travel to Australia?

the visa will carry a "first entry date" and you have to enter Australia before that
date to activate the PR visa. The first entry date is usually the date when your police
clearance or medical expires, i.e. one year after they were issued. They will give you
a "reasonable amout" of time though if they expire before you get your visa. Having
activated the visa, you can leave again - immediately if you want to - and return
later. You will have to live Australia for two out of five years after the first entry
date however.

Hope this helps. Stefan

Old Feb 19th 2001, 12:00 pm
George Lombard

You will have to live Australia for two
>out of five years after the first entry date however.

Only if you want citizenship or a good crack at a resident return visa. There are
absolutely no restrictions on movement if you hold PR.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

Old Feb 19th 2001, 1:58 pm
Stefan vom Bruch

>You will have to live Australia for two
>>out of five years after the first entry date however.
>
>
>Only if you want citizenship or a good crack at a resident return visa. There are
>absolutely no restrictions on movement if you hold PR.
>
>Cheers
>
>George Lombard

No, of course there isn't. Sorry for being vague. I just wanted to point out that in case
you just activate your PR visa and leave Australia again immediately, you will have to
return within a certain time frame if you don't want to run into problems later. You
cannot activate your visa, live somewhere else and then return to Australia twenty years
later on the same PR visa for retirement.

Cheers Stefan

Old Feb 19th 2001, 6:12 pm
JAJ

George Isn't it correct though that if you don't qualify for an RRV after the five year
expiry of your migration visa (assuming you haven't become an Australian citizen) things
can get awkward? Even if you're in Australia and can therefore stay indefinitely, would
holidays outside Australia be possible without an RRV?

Also in answer to Stefan's point, the five years starts from the date the visa is granted,
not from the first entry date or the date its validated.

Jeremy

>You will have to live Australia for two
>>out of five years after the first entry date however.
>
>
>Only if you want citizenship or a good crack at a resident return visa. There are
>absolutely no restrictions on movement if you hold PR.
>
>Cheers
>
>George Lombard
>
>www.austimmigration.com.au

Old Feb 20th 2001, 7:40 am
George Lombard

Hi Jeremy,

The RRV is a notoriously fickle piece of discretion; we have seen some quite surprising
positive results which I don't put down only to advocacy skills. On the other hand, there
are also horror stories, but the main thing is, it isn't only time spent in Australia.
Purchased property, friends, relatives, jobs etc are all taken into account, as are
explanations for not having made the full migration earlier.

Cheers

George Lombard

JAJ
>George Isn't it correct though that if you don't qualify for an RRV after the five year
>expiry of your migration visa (assuming you haven't become an Australian citizen) things
>can get awkward? Even if you're in Australia and can therefore stay indefinitely, would
>holidays outside Australia be possible without an RRV?
>
>Also in answer to Stefan's point, the five years starts from the date the visa is
>granted, not from the first entry date or the date its validated.
>
>Jeremy
>
>>On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:53:58 -0800, "George Lombard" <[email protected]>
wrote:
>
>>You will have to live Australia for two
>>>out of five years after the first entry date however.
>>
>>
>>Only if you want citizenship or a good crack at a resident return visa. There are
>>absolutely no restrictions on movement if you hold PR.
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>George Lombard
>>
>>www.austimmigration.com.au
>>
>

Old Feb 24th 2001, 11:04 pm
Edward

George,

If I am migrating with my wife and children, I assume we'll all have to make the trip that
first time to activate the visa. Is this true?

I was hoping to use the first trip to look for a job, and then bring the family down
later, but I am getting the impression that will not be happening.

Ed.

> You will have to live Australia for two
> >out of five years after the first entry date however.
>
>
> Only if you want citizenship or a good crack at a resident return visa. There are
> absolutely no restrictions on movement if you hold PR.
>
> Cheers
>
> George Lombard
>
> www.austimmigration.com.au