Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

thinking about moving to aus? refrigeration engineer

thinking about moving to aus? refrigeration engineer

Old Apr 21st 2016, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

welshstyles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thinking about moving to aus? refrigeration engineer

hi just posting to see if you lot can point me in the right direction, basically me and my partner are thinking about moving to Australia we have only just thought about it and started looking, i am a refrigeration engineer and was wondering is that a trade needed over enough to get a permanent visa? also where is best for opportunities in that trade and any good websites to look at? another quick question if i can get a visa can my partner of 10 years come with me no problems? we are looking to get married over here (Uk) but do they recognize gay marriage in aus, hope you can help

thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thinking about moving to aus? refrigeration engineer

This is your starting point https://www.border.gov.au/

There are two lists of occupations known as SOL and CSOL. The SOL is the "better" list regarding the visa process as it allows independent skilled migration (189 visa). The last time I looked your occupation was on the SOL, but do check as it does change.

You need then to calculate your points and see how many you have. You need a minimum of 60 to apply. You need to be very careful with this as overclaiming in error can lead to a refusal. Many people also find they are short of points and need to undertake an English exam such as ILETS.

Next, you need to check what is required for the skills assessment for your occupation. It will be a mix of qualifications and experience.

If you live with your partner, then you should be able to include them on the application.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshstyles
hi just posting to see if you lot can point me in the right direction, basically me and my partner are thinking about moving to Australia we have only just thought about it and started looking, i am a refrigeration engineer and was wondering is that a trade needed over enough to get a permanent visa? also where is best for opportunities in that trade and any good websites to look at? another quick question if i can get a visa can my partner of 10 years come with me no problems? we are looking to get married over here (Uk) but do they recognize gay marriage in aus, hope you can help

thanks
Air conditioning and refrigeration mechanic is on the SOL which means that yes it is an occupation that qualifies for skilled migration. The next couple of things you need to do are take a points test and see what is required for a skills assessment for this occupation and determine if you can pass it.

I don't believe that Australia does have gay marriages, however it is not necessary to be married to bring a partner on a visa application. If your partner is your defacto then they can be a secondary applicant, plenty of unmarried couples (gay or straight) make a joint visa application.

I have no idea about that occupation but I cannot imagine one area of Australia will be much more demanding of refrigeration than another., I expect anywhere with people will have demand. You could check SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site for job opportunities.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

My best Aus born and bred departed mate here was a fridgy.... Plenty of work, never stop and it's 7 days per week in the summer at times. Thing is be prepared to work occasionally in 50 Degree temps, because most repairs are up in and on roof areas and in the hottest weather..... and that's just Melbourne !

It's all about reverse cycle air con (heat pumps) here in domestic at present. Oh a lot of big 6 outlet plus evaporated systems as well, which I dont think you come across a lot in the UK.... Well not in the housing area.

You'd have to start working for a service type suburban company IMO just to get the feel of the Aussie market... so it will be crap work and pay for the first few years till you get to know the local industry. Actually being in the gay scene will help you immensely... Not sure how but I do know their networking is second to none and that's what you will be needing...networking.

Just letting you know

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 22nd 2016 at 6:16 am.