Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) - Post Study Work

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) - Post Study Work

Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

AtherSaeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) - Post Study Work

Hi Guys,

My brother has recently completed his bachelor's degree (Political Science) and plans to do his Master's degree in Australia. Most probably, his post graduate study will NOT fall in any of the SOL category. Currently, I am exploring options for him to stay in Australia and a route towards PR.

I came across the Temporary Graduate Visa category which says
"Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant's qualification."

Just wondering if the actual process is as straight forward as explained above and what are the possibilities of this getting converted into a PR?

Thanks in advance

p.s: I am a PR holder currently living in Australia. (if that would be of any help to him)
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:18 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) - Post Study Work

To be honest I'm not seeing any "pathway" to conversion... I would guess after the end of the visa if one wanted to stay permanently you would have to apply through SkillSelect or a partnership visa (if he meets someone along the way).

The only benefit I can see is that you may be able to get more points for Australian experience when it comes time to submit your EOI.

I was on a 476 and for me to stay permanently I had to apply for a 190 visa - the old pathway visa (885) closed.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:53 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) - Post Study Work

The 485 Temporary Graduate visa is exactly that - Temporary. At the end of it you must either qualify for Employer Sponsorship, State Sponsorship or Independent PR (or any other PR - partner, family sponsored etc.).

It does not 'convert' into anything and your occupation must still be on the SOL or CSOL.

Best of luck.