Suitability for immigration.

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 7:57 pm
Mark and Lareina

Hi all,

I am thinking of migrating to Australia with my family from the UK. I would welcome on any
comments on the suitability of my qualifications and experience to pass the "points" test
and also of advice on the demand for people of my experience.

Let me start with my qualifications (this would probably make more sense for those from
the UK who have taken the "plunge" already). Following secondary (high) school, having
taken 'A' levels, I undertook Ordinary National Certificate (ONC) and Higher National
Certificate (HNC) (nearly degree level) in communications and electronics engineering.
More recently, I have undertaken and passed the Cisco CCNA(tm) exam.

My current experience is within telecommunications support - more specifically, GSM
(mobile phone infrastructure) and GPRS, which is part of the evolution of GSM. I am
currently a support lead-engineer of a GPRS support team, with expertise in UNIX
administration, RF experience and significant knowledge of networking protocols used in
GPRS. The role that I am after is along the same lines of what I currently do, and ideally
remain in the field of GPRS/UMTS. In the UK, engineers with my experience are highly
sought after and I am hoping that it is the same in Australia.

I would welcome any advice on suitability and perhaps an idea of available agencies to
receive my resume so that I can start to prepare for such a transition.

Finally, what are the financial implications involved in the immigration proceedings.

many thanks,

Mark