Student Visa Information

Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Re: Student Visa Information

Originally Posted by Clarie
he has done chefing
Chef's are in demand, but from what I hear don't expect much in the way of wages.

Not too sure on 20 hours, I'll ask my chef friend tonight on what he thinks your chances are!

Originally Posted by sean
i am just hoping i can get 20 hours work somewhere.
Sean.
As I say in the OP, DON'T bank on it! ... we've been here a year now and had VERY little work so far. Other half is available for work for ANY shift (unlike me as I'm at school 3 days) and she is currently on everyones email list for new jobs but as we speak is still currently unemployed! ... We can't even serve burgers at McDonalds cos of the temp visa! ... FFS! ... )

Originally Posted by shears
Does anyone know if you can book One Way flights or do they have to be return, going over on a student visa.

Also, what about shipping stuff - do you need a permanent visa for this?

cheers!

shears
Phew! ... I can give some good news! ...

One way flights ok!

Ship house contents ok!

Ship dog (if you have one) ok! ... (we did!)
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Mr Doom & Gloom

yep, the dog's coming too! (In fact he might do better than me on the hairdressing course!)
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:32 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Thank you, Mr Doom & Gloom

yep, the dog's coming too! (In fact he might do better than me on the hairdressing course!)
Yeah I REALLY don't want to be all 'doomy and gloomy' but it's just my honest opinion. We're running out of money fast, but if we was warned how hard it is to find work here we'd of def gone easier!

Still, 2 interviews today. One (in a salon) was a no, and another with a school is reliant on getting a Blue Card ... we'll see!

</IMG>
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Yeah I REALLY don't want to be all 'doomy and gloomy' but it's just my honest opinion. We're running out of money fast, but if we was warned how hard it is to find work here we'd of def gone easier!

Still, 2 interviews today. One (in a salon) was a no, and another with a school is reliant on getting a Blue Card ... we'll see!

</IMG>
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (and what's a blue card when it's at home?!)

Seriously though Paul you've been a great source of info, the good and the bad (and the ugly with some of them pics you post!). We're hoping to head for Brissie (got family there) so will be at the Queen St college (well, I still have to apply!)

Annie
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:20 am
Account Closed

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (and what's a blue card when it's at home?!)

Seriously though Paul you've been a great source of info, the good and the bad (and the ugly with some of them pics you post!). We're hoping to head for Brissie (got family there) so will be at the Queen St college (well, I still have to apply!)

Annie
Cheers ...

Yeah I've been to the Queen St college and trying hard not to be gloomy again ...lol, I prefer the Gold Coast Campus. The Brissie college doesn't have the 'walk in' cliental that the GC does and I hear people have to do most of their work on mannequins! ... one client a day if your lucky!

End of the day if you have family there then all the better, but just another pennies worth!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Clarie is just really niceClarie is just really niceClarie is just really niceClarie is just really niceClarie is just really niceClarie is just really niceClarie is just really niceClarie is just really nice

hi all,

it's soo scary!!!

i will be starting my new course in october after selling most of the crap in my house, putting the rest in storage for 2 years and getting an agent to rent my house out - not much to do then!!

then off to sunny brisbane to start at the wynne-hoelscher academy. does anyone have any extra info about the academy????

cheers
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Hi, I'm totally new to these visas.....also looking at business 163 but aren't quite at turnover to apply yet. I'm quite interested in an apprentiship ie: Trade skills training visa....does this cover the hairdressing?

Also, I've been told that OH has full work rights?????? but when reading on here it seems otherwise?

Can somebody confirm this please?

Also, where do I start....I'm not necessarily looking at the hairdressing, but am wondering what other apprentiship I could consider for this route?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Clarie
off to sunny brisbane to start at the wynne-hoelscher academy. does anyone have any extra info about the academy????

cheers
Ahhhh, I thought you meant Brisbane School of Hairdressing, they're in Queen St too!

Ok, I know nothing about this school I'm afraid, but take back what I said about the school vs the GC Campus.

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Hi, I'm totally new to these visas.....also looking at business 163 but aren't quite at turnover to apply yet. I'm quite interested in an apprentiship ie: Trade skills training visa....does this cover the hairdressing?

Also, I've been told that OH has full work rights?????? but when reading on here it seems otherwise?

Can somebody confirm this please?

Also, where do I start....I'm not necessarily looking at the hairdressing, but am wondering what other apprentiship I could consider for this route?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
There was talk of an Apprentiship Visa coming in, but it was looking like it was for 18 - 30 year olds and I'm too old! ...

Don't know if it came in, but all this work rights etc is to do with Student Visa's.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

just to add to pauls post with all the brilliant info...

we're both over here doing australian degrees for our qualifications.

OH has a BSc in Computing & Business, but is now doing a degree in accountancy. I was a social worker in the UK, now doing Law and Arts.

There are jobs out there for international students... I've been offered a couple of paid internships but have turned them down (too much studying to do!). OH is working as an Accounts Payable person - started on a temp contract for 4 weeks, that was extended to 3 months, and now been taken on by the company as a perm member of staff - 20 hours a week term time, 30something during the hols.

re: chefing - I was speaking to an aussie chef the other night who has worked buth in oz and in UK. She was saying that the big difference is that to even work as a commis chef over here you need the 2-4 years apprenticeship & quals up front. in UK you can just appear one day and get a job [tho not in a top place obv!] (i know I did for 12 months!)

to be honest... unless you've got a fairly decent amount of spare cash - I would find another way of getting into australia! In our original buget, the whole thing was costing about $100k for both of us. Now it's costing upwards of $230k, more if I go on to do an LLM (the current plan!)

still..... I'd rather be here than back in the UK!
Old Mar 28th 2007, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by YoSemite
to be honest... unless you've got a fairly decent amount of spare cash - I would find another way of getting into australia! In our original buget, the whole thing was costing about $100k for both of us. Now it's costing upwards of $230k, more if I go on to do an LLM (the current plan!)

still..... I'd rather be here than back in the UK!
We're still having no luck really with jobs, and we have spent too much too soon and are feeling the pinch now.

Still, (as said already) I would rather be here than in the UK! ...
Old Mar 28th 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

it seems to be a bit like that for some folks.

i know people who've got nothing (like yourselves), and then other people who had no bother... funny innit!?!?!

we spent too much too soon as well.... always the way!!

and yeah... I would rather..................
Old Mar 28th 2007, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Lainey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to everyone on this thread!
I'm about to to go down the student visa visa route re hairdressing(Gold Coast campus). I've been reading evryones comments & am also going to be pretty skint for a few years but I seem to be skint for much of the time here so nuffin new there then! If you want sumfin bad enough I spose you have to do what it takes & I'd admire you all for taking the plunge. I too will have to fork out school fees(have 12 yr old son) which is a bummer but feel much better after reading paul's bit about only having paid one year upfront. Wivout bein too nosy roughly how much cash(roughly) did you have to go out on?
Good luck to all,keep posting the funny reads & mad photo's (paul!) hope your OH has luck with a job soon.
Lainey.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

LeWa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Yeah this is why I chose hairdressing. My school has over 1200 hours of 'TRA Approved' on the floor training from paying clients, so no further work experience is needed to get a positive assessment from TRA. New DIMA ruling in July I'm sure my school will argue is still covered, but we'll see. I have NO issues with having to do further 'work exp' other than the fact that I will still have to pay $16k per year for my kids education, but that's the way it goes! ... at least I'm not going home! ...

Good on ya! ...

Pretty much the same story for us.

From what I read you WILL be given full working rights. I say 'you' as I mean the student. I can't find anything to say whether the spouse or any dependants will also have these rights ?!?!

I have a friend who came out on a Student Visa, but her partner has recently acquired a job sponsor and his own visa. His occupation is on the SOL, but I cannot say if it HAS to be! ... as far as I know it does! ... someone will know. Whether they'll respond is another question! ...
Hi,
Just found this site, thanks for all the great info!

Paul&nic - which Hairdressing School did you attend? trying to choose one at the mo and bit unsure about this whole 900hours thing? Wanted to head to Sydney as have friends there but willing to go anywhere really!!

Many thanks,
Leah
Old Mar 30th 2007, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

LeWa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LeWa
Hi,
Just found this site, thanks for all the great info!

Paul&nic - which Hairdressing School did you attend? trying to choose one at the mo and bit unsure about this whole 900hours thing? Wanted to head to Sydney as have friends there but willing to go anywhere really!!

Many thanks,
Leah
Me again!

Just wanted to say a big Good Luck to Lainey! Agree with you about the whole being skint here, so may as well be skint over there instead!!

Cheers,
Leah
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

steve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the roughsteve & Heather is a jewel in the rough

Hi

My son and his wife now wish to join us in Aus. We have been here since sept 06. With no real skills to speak of they are considering the student visa route. Hairdressing & Cheffing are there choice of occupations.

How do they go about getting the visa and getting a place on a course.

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.