Starting the Visa process

Old Nov 18th 2015, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

SJP2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting the Visa process

Hi everyone this is our first post.
We would be grateful to hear from any nurses who have successfully made the move to work in Australia. My wife is a nurse aged 43 and we have only a short period of time to obtain a visa for us and our 2 children. Any suggestions re the best/quickest visa options would be welcomed along with tips re the correct order to complete all the required steps would be most helpful. We are thinking we would like to live in Perth ideally. Thank you.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting the Visa process

One of the first questions is, is she degree qualified?

The occupation is on the SOL list, so should be fine there.

Have a big read of the requirements on the Australian immigration website border.com.au

She will need to get her skills assessed and an English test. I believe nurses require ILETS academic level.

Once she has these, she can submit an expression of interest. It is vital you calculate her points carefully and chose the visa accordingly. If she has 60, then a 189 should be ok. But, if she can't make 60 and needs state sponsorship, she will need to check each states lists and note any conditions that states require. For example, most occupations in WA now require a job offer.

Once a eoi is submitted, wait for an invitation. Then submit application and wait for medicals and police checks.

Assuming she is degree qualified, she can start the nursing registration process at the same time.

Be aware though, that nurses are facing redundancies in west Australian hospitals at the moment.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 4:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SJP2015
Hi everyone this is our first post.
We would be grateful to hear from any nurses who have successfully made the move to work in Australia. My wife is a nurse aged 43 and we have only a short period of time to obtain a visa for us and our 2 children. Any suggestions re the best/quickest visa options would be welcomed along with tips re the correct order to complete all the required steps would be most helpful. We are thinking we would like to live in Perth ideally. Thank you.
Welcome

There is an immigration and visa section on here that is more relevant to your questions

Perth is a cracking place to live

Good luck
Old Nov 19th 2015, 4:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Welcome

There is an immigration and visa section on here that is more relevant to your questions

Perth is a cracking place to live

Good luck
I'll move the thread to Immigration

OP - there is also a Nursing forum which has useful stuff on AHPRA and registration. First hurdle is whether your wife is degree or diploma qualified?

Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations - British Expats
Old Nov 19th 2015, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your responses so far my wife is degree qualified but can only get to 55 points so I thought it was employer sponsorship we needed. What is the state sponsorship you mention? I am also puzzled why an employer would make a job offer when a Visa is yet to be obtained. Seems a bit like the chicken and the egg scenario! Can anyone explain this please?
Old Nov 19th 2015, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

There are two main forms of permanent residence. Independent, via a 189 or state sponsored such as a 190. If she needs 5 points, then state sponsorship would be the way forward as it gives 5 points.

You need to check if WA are sponsoring her occupation. Google wa occupation list. Make sure you check any special requirements imposed. A lot of WA occupations can only be sponsored if the applicant already has a job offer.

Some employers do make job offers to people internationally and then sponsor a visa. However, this is usually a temporary visa such as a 457. You would need to be aware though of what this includes as a 457 has a number of issues. These include being tied to the employer, if the employer makes you redundant you only have 90 days to find another sponsor. Partners of 457's can have trouble getting work. There are fees for children of 457 holders education.

However, there would be nothing to prevent accepting a job offer with a 457 and simultaneously starting a 190 application.

When you calculate points, have you included English points?
Old Nov 21st 2015, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi verystormy thank you for your information. We have included the maximum 20 points for the English IELTS test as we are assuming this would be passed ok. On some websites it imply's that for certain occupations such as nursing the English test would not be required. As you probably gather it is quite tight for us to get the points but feel it is possible, we just need to consider the best options. My wife's job is on the WA occupations list so a 190 Visa may be possible. The 457 Visa you mention is not stated but a 489 is. Do you know the difference? We are wondering if, due to the time left before my wife is 45, we ought to use a reputable agent to ensure we do not make a mistake and then run out of time. Your thought on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 5:07 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi verystormy thank you for your information. We have included the maximum 20 points for the English IELTS test as we are assuming this would be passed ok. On some websites it imply's that for certain occupations such as nursing the English test would not be required. As you probably gather it is quite tight for us to get the points but feel it is possible, we just need to consider the best options. My wife's job is on the WA occupations list so a 190 Visa may be possible. The 457 Visa you mention is not stated but a 489 is. Do you know the difference? We are wondering if, due to the time left before my wife is 45, we ought to use a reputable agent to ensure we do not make a mistake and then run out of time. Your thought on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
You can get a 457 for any state, it won't be listed on their sites as it is EMPLOYER sponsorship, not state. So to get a 457 you need to find an employer who will sponsor. 457s are the most common way for nurses to be sponsored.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You can get a 457 for any state, it won't be listed on their sites as it is EMPLOYER sponsorship, not state. So to get a 457 you need to find an employer who will sponsor. 457s are the most common way for nurses to be sponsored.
Thanks Pollyana. It seems that a 489 visa is better than a 487? Would you agree. My wife's job role is on the WA jobs list so we assume 489 is the way to go? We are going to speak to a Go Matila agent in the UK tomorrow as we have read they are reputable. Have you heard of any experiences of them? Thanks again.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 4:42 am
Home and Happy

Thanks Pollyana. It seems that a 489 visa is better than a 487? Would you agree. My wife's job role is on the WA jobs list so we assume 489 is the way to go? We are going to speak to a Go Matila agent in the UK tomorrow as we have read they are reputable. Have you heard of any experiences of them? Thanks again.
I really know very little about the 487 or the 489.

If your wife can meet the requirements for WA though, go for that over a 457 as any permanent visa is better than the uncertainty of a 457.

However, if you are speaking to Go Matilda, I would be guided by them. They have an excellent reputation, I've had advice from them in the past myself, and Alan Collett from the company has been a regular contributor on here for years with a wealth of helpful info u his sleeve.
You're in good hands
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Starting the Visa process

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I really know very little about the 487 or the 489.

If your wife can meet the requirements for WA though, go for that over a 457 as any permanent visa is better than the uncertainty of a 457.

However, if you are speaking to Go Matilda, I would be guided by them. They have an excellent reputation, I've had advice from them in the past myself, and Alan Collett from the company has been a regular contributor on here for years with a wealth of helpful info u his sleeve.
You're in good hands
Thank you Pollyana. I have spoken to them and someone is going to call me back to discuss in detail the process. I will keep you posted.