Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Sponsorship - what happens when it doesn't work out!

Sponsorship - what happens when it doesn't work out!

Old May 12th 2008, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

NatD1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsorship - what happens when it doesn't work out!

Hi Peeps.

It looks like the best and easiest way for my wife and I to emigrate to Australia (Melbourne) is by me getting sponsored.

I work in the Lighting Market, and people with my experience are in demand in Australia.

I would look at getting sponsored, and coming in on a 457 Visa.

However, I was just wondering what would happen, say after 18 / 24 months, I either wanted to leave, or the company wanted to get rid of me?

Reading info on http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill.../sbs/index.htm it says I would have to reapply for a new Visa if I changed employers' and they would be willing to sponsor me.

I will have a nosey through the 457 thread in the Immigration forum, but was just wondering if any of you guys or gals had had any first hand experience with this?

The only thing that slightly worries me, is that if you employment ceases (I thinkk) you have 28 days to either leave the country or get new sponsorship!

Also - after the 4 years is up on the Visa, do you automatically have to apply for PR or citizenship?
Old May 13th 2008, 1:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsorship - what happens when it doesn't work out!

People on 457 visas who leave their jobs (or get fired, or get sick) often have to leave Australia and go home.

You don't have to apply for PR but unless you obtain it, you will have to leave Australia sooner or later.

You can't even think about citizenship until you have PR.
Old May 13th 2008, 2:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatD1978

Also - after the 4 years is up on the Visa, do you automatically have to apply for PR or citizenship?
You wont be able to apply for citizenship without at least 1 years PR.
Old May 13th 2008, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

NatD1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys!

Just a quick question then, if I come in on a 457 Sponsored Visa, how quickly would I be able to get PR?
Old May 13th 2008, 12:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatD1978
Thanks guys!

Just a quick question then, if I come in on a 457 Sponsored Visa, how quickly would I be able to get PR?
Depends on when you meet the requirements.

Sometimes immediately, sometimes never.