Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

some enquiries about migrating to Australia

some enquiries about migrating to Australia

Old Feb 24th 2001, 5:19 pm
Catherine Teoh

Hi,

I have a few questions I need some answes to before deciding to proceed with the
application.

1) I would like to know about the expected salay for an IT professional over in australia.
I have oracle experience of 3+ years . What would the salary range be like?

2) what is the income tax rate like over there? I heard some people say its about 40%? Is
that true?

3) After you're granted the PR visa, how soon must you be in Australia. And what's the
procedure like after that to come and go from Australia?

4) I am a US graduate but now I am back in my home country already. I was told that for
each country that you have lived for 12 months or more you need to get police
clearance? I was in the US for 3 years (studying) and I graduated in 1996. Is the
police clearance a must from the US?

Thanks in Advance for your replies...

Regards, Catherine.

Old Feb 26th 2001, 11:54 pm
Helena

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Zebee's always suggested this site for salary info: http://www.it.hays.com.au/ It should
have what you're looking for - salary ranges for various IT jobs in all the major cities.

>
    >

Probably. We have an FAQ here: http://www.fortunecity.com/oasis/paris/601/ If you go
through it, there'll be sites for tax info, as well as tons of other stuff about the whole
migration process, what to expect when you get here, sites for job ads (which should give
you more salary info ideas), etc.

>

Typically they give you a year after your medicals and police check, I believe. You only
have to come here briefly to validate your visa before that year is up and move
permanently later (before 5 years), if that is more convenient.

>

As long as you at least validate your visa before the one-year initial entry date, your PR
visa is valid for 5 years and you can come and go as you please. After the 5 years, you'd
have to have a resident return visa to be allowed back into Oz, if you're not a citizen by
then. If you get Aussie citizenship (which you qualify for after residing here for 2
years), there are no travel restrictions.

>
    >
    >
    >

Not sure about this one. The FAQ will point you to the DIMA site where you'll likely find
the info. You just may have to dig a bit deep.

Good luck,

Helena

Old Feb 27th 2001, 4:00 am
Anonymous

Hi Catherine,

tax rates are:

income rate minus amount -6000 NIL NIL 6001 - 20000 0.17 1020 20001 - 50000 0.30 3620
50001 - 60000 0.42 9620 60001 + 0.47 12620

hope this helps Susi

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >