Some advice please

Old Aug 20th 2017, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

friggy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some advice please

Hello All,

looking for general advice in applying for a visa, I am a Gas fitter by trade (over 10yrs exp) and currently in my last year of an apprenticeship Refrigeration and AC Mechanic. I am in my mid 40's.

We have expressed an interest in living/working in Australia, can anyone reccomend a reliable agent i could ask question/use in this process. I also do have a Uncle who resides in Perth,WA.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some advice please

First, if you have submitted an expression of interest on border.gov.au do not respond if you are invited as you haven't complied with the system.

The first question is you say you are in your 40's. Exactly how old are you?

Second, if you are doing an apprenticeship how many years have you worked as a qualified tradesperson in the last five years?
Old Aug 21st 2017, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
First, if you have submitted an expression of interest on border.gov.au do not respond if you are invited as you haven't complied with the system.

The first question is you say you are in your 40's. Exactly how old are you?

Second, if you are doing an apprenticeship how many years have you worked as a qualified tradesperson in the last five years?
Thanks for the reply,
No i have not filled in An Expression of interest.

I am 44.

I use my Gas fitting as part of my apprenticeship as we work on Gas appliances like burners etc.

Thanks 👍
Old Aug 21st 2017, 3:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The place to start is www.immi.gov.au to see if you qualify for a visa. At 44 it's not going to be easy.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 5:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The place to start is Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection to see if you qualify for a visa. At 44 it's not going to be easy.
Agreed, especially since they reduced the age limitation back to 45 - i.e. to be eligible you need to be under 45 at time of invite.

OP - how close to 45 are you and do you already have a valid skills assessment? Gas fitting is a licensed trade and the skills assessment has a number of levels, and takes many weeks to complete.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, you may be cutting it fine as the cut off is 45. By which time you need to get a skills assessment and if necessary take an English test such as ILETS and then lodge an expression of interest and get invited - invitations can easily take a couple of months.

You will need to see if you can pass the skills assessment as most trade skills assessments require you to have been working full time in the nominated occupation for 3 of the last 5 years.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The place to start is Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection to see if you qualify for a visa. At 44 it's not going to be easy.
Thanks for your response, i can see my age being a big factor! Unless they change the rules!

Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2017, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Agreed, especially since they reduced the age limitation back to 45 - i.e. to be eligible you need to be under 45 at time of invite.

OP - how close to 45 are you and do you already have a valid skills assessment? Gas fitting is a licensed trade and the skills assessment has a number of levels, and takes many weeks to complete.
I'm 45 in Jan :/

No i have not,tbh i have only just started looking into this.
Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2017, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
As mentioned, you may be cutting it fine as the cut off is 45. By which time you need to get a skills assessment and if necessary take an English test such as ILETS and then lodge an expression of interest and get invited - invitations can easily take a couple of months.

You will need to see if you can pass the skills assessment as most trade skills assessments require you to have been working full time in the nominated occupation for 3 of the last 5 years.
Ok this is all good to know.

Age maybe my biggest hurdle? Do the rules change yearly?

Thanks for your advice..
Old Aug 21st 2017, 1:09 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by friggy1
Ok this is all good to know.

Age maybe my biggest hurdle? Do the rules change yearly?

Thanks for your advice..
Rules ca change ag any time. However the age has beed dropped from 50 down to 45 and honestly I don't see it being raised again any time soon