Skills asssement

Old Jul 16th 2017, 11:55 am
Just Joined

LeeCh40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skills asssement

Hi

I'm looking at emigrating to Australia next year sometime. I believe that Software Engineer is still on the list of needed job titles.

However, I've been self-employed/freelancing/contracting for the last few years (I'd be looking for full time permanent work in Australia). Are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of, particularly when I get my skills pre-assessed? It's particularly job titles and employment time I'm worried about. Given the nature of my work I'm in a position where I can work solidly for months at a time then take time off to enjoy life, but I'm concerned that there might be a mandatory time employed in the previous two years to application?

Thanks
Lee
Old Jul 17th 2017, 12:03 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills asssement

Originally Posted by LeeCh40
Hi

I'm looking at emigrating to Australia next year sometime. I believe that Software Engineer is still on the list of needed job titles.

However, I've been self-employed/freelancing/contracting for the last few years (I'd be looking for full time permanent work in Australia). Are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of, particularly when I get my skills pre-assessed? It's particularly job titles and employment time I'm worried about. Given the nature of my work I'm in a position where I can work solidly for months at a time then take time off to enjoy life, but I'm concerned that there might be a mandatory time employed in the previous two years to application?

Thanks
Lee
Software Engineer is assessed by ACS, and they require a mix of qualification and experience to deem you skilled. They have plenty of information on their website to explain how the mix works, and how they want the evidence that you meet the criteria presented.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 8:30 am
Just Joined

LeeCh40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Software Engineer is assessed by ACS, and they require a mix of qualification and experience to deem you skilled. They have plenty of information on their website to explain how the mix works, and how they want the evidence that you meet the criteria presented.
Thank you, but I've already read it and they do not answer the specific questions I've asked here.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 2:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeCh40
Thank you, but I've already read it and they do not answer the specific questions I've asked here.
I cannot see anything on ACS website or DIBP website that requires you to have done a minimum amount of work in the 2 years before applying but you could try asking ACS.

However, ACS assessments require a mix of qualification and experience to meet their requirements, which will be a minimum of 2 years. If you are only working 6 months of the year then you will need to provide 4 years of statements to meet the 2 years experience. For 1 week of work to count, it needs to be at least 20 hours of work from the guidelines.

You will need to provide statements from clients as outlined in the guide provided by ACS. They will not be looking at the jobs titles of these references as such, but on the details of the work provided. These need to match at least 65% of the duties of a software engineer I think. If you have any doubts, it may be best to get advice from a MARA agent before applying.