British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Skills Assessment and IELTS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/skills-assessment-ielts-905818/)

Cat87 Nov 14th 2017 6:45 am

Skills Assessment and IELTS

Hello,

I have started trying to get my head round the skills assessment process and have sent the IQA form to my university, but I’m a bit stumped on the evidence my English language skills section. I can provide evidence of my 3 year degree and 2 year masters, but it specifically says secondary school which will be impossible for me as my secondary education was patchy for personal reasons. The alternative seems to be to take the IELT test which I would have to do anything for the visa application...

What has other people done to evidence this section of the skills assessment?

Cat

old.sparkles Nov 14th 2017 8:14 am

Re: Skills Assessment and IELTS

Originally Posted by Cat87 (Post 12381571)
Hello,

I have started trying to get my head round the skills assessment process and have sent the IQA form to my university, but I’m a bit stumped on the evidence my English language skills section. I can provide evidence of my 3 year degree and 2 year masters, but it specifically says secondary school which will be impossible for me as my secondary education was patchy for personal reasons. The alternative seems to be to take the IELT test which I would have to do anything for the visa application...

What has other people done to evidence this section of the skills assessment?

Cat

What does your assessing body ask for? From your other posts you're a social worker? Perhaps this can help - https://www.aasw.asn.au/careers-stud...requirements-2

Even if attendance was patchy, the last school you attended should be able to give you a letter saying you were taught in English
Or just sit IELTS - google can give you some examples.

Jacko86 Nov 14th 2017 6:55 pm

If I remember correctly you can do IELTS academic to evidence English language for the skills assessment which would kill two birds with one stone because you would get visa points for it as well.

I’m sure the fact your degree and Masters was taught in English should be sufficient though as well. Ask the AASW and see what they say.

Cat87 Nov 14th 2017 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jacko86 (Post 12382116)
If I remember correctly you can do IELTS academic to evidence English language for the skills assessment which would kill two birds with one stone because you would get visa points for it as well.

I’m sure the fact your degree and Masters was taught in English should be sufficient though as well. Ask the AASW and see what they say.

Thank you - I’ve emailed them and am waiting for them to come back to me. I’m hoping I can put off the IELTS test for a couple of months but if I have to I will book it for January. What’s the difference between the academic and the other version?

Jacko86 Nov 14th 2017 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Cat87 (Post 12382137)
Thank you - I’ve emailed them and am waiting for them to come back to me. I’m hoping I can put off the IELTS test for a couple of months but if I have to I will book it for January. What’s the difference between the academic and the other version?

I’m not sure what the difference is to be honest. The academic is supposed to be a bit harder but I only did general. I think either is passable with some revision. I used the IELTS Liz website for revision and practice materials.

Cat87 Nov 14th 2017 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jacko86 (Post 12382151)
I’m not sure what the difference is to be honest. The academic is supposed to be a bit harder but I only did general. I think either is passable with some revision. I used the IELTS Liz website for revision and practice materials.

Thank you, you’ve been so helpful! Did you have to get the 20 points for the visa? I’ve worked out that’s what I need. I’m worried the test will be really hard, as I don’t think I’ll have much leeway for error...

Jacko86 Nov 14th 2017 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Cat87 (Post 12382153)
Thank you, you’ve been so helpful! Did you have to get the 20 points for the visa? I’ve worked out that’s what I need. I’m worried the test will be really hard, as I don’t think I’ll have much leeway for error...

No worries! I found the forums helpful when going through the process. There’s some useful groups on Facebook as well as here. Poms Wanting Oz and UK Social Workers Wanting Oz.

I had 45 points without IELTS so yep I needed 20 as 10 wouldn’t have been enough. It’s really not too bad if you revise the technique and know what they’re looking for.

old.sparkles Nov 14th 2017 9:13 pm

I did IELTS Academic as it was quicker to book onto, and I mistakenly first thought I needed to do it if I wanted all 8.0's or better.

If you google writing examples, IELTS Academic, you'll see that this part is different from the general test. You have to write much more of a report than a letter, and an analysis of some data or graph. Not sure how the reading and listening tests differ, if at all though but the speaking was very general.

I ended up taking the test twice - I got a 7.5 on listening the first time but I took the tests straight after a 12 hour night shift. Second time around, I took the night off and got all 9.0's. I did do a bit of practice to familiarise myself with the tests, but nothing excessive. It does all depend really, on how well you can communicate generally.

Cat87 Nov 17th 2017 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12382228)
I did IELTS Academic as it was quicker to book onto, and I mistakenly first thought I needed to do it if I wanted all 8.0's or better.

If you google writing examples, IELTS Academic, you'll see that this part is different from the general test. You have to write much more of a report than a letter, and an analysis of some data or graph. Not sure how the reading and listening tests differ, if at all though but the speaking was very general.

I ended up taking the test twice - I got a 7.5 on listening the first time but I took the tests straight after a 12 hour night shift. Second time around, I took the night off and got all 9.0's. I did do a bit of practice to familiarise myself with the tests, but nothing excessive. It does all depend really, on how well you can communicate generally.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. The AASW have come back to me saying that I would need to take the Academic test if I can’t get confirmation that I completed my secondary education in the English language. The problem I have is that I missed a great deal of my secondary education due to being in the care system myself at that time, so I actually went back at 19 to do an access course and then went on and completed my degree and later my masters. Because of this I think it’s just going to be simpler for me to sit the academic IELTS as I would need to sit this test at some point anyway. My university have already sent back the info required for my social work qualification and I’m just going to get the IELTS booked soon and start revising I think!