Skills Assessmemt Stage

Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:05 am
Just Joined

cc1rees is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skills Assessmemt Stage

Hi, just starting out on our journey to OZ and wondered if anyone could help with the skills assessment forms. When it asks for qualifications and awarding bodies/transcripts with grades etc do you go as far back as A levels?

My husband and I both have degrees and over 10 years experience in the work place so we've got evidence of all that but can't find A level certificates and transcripts with modular marks etc. Sounded a bit much to me, especially since our degrees are higher qualifications anyway? Is it enough to just go back as far as degree details?

Was hoping to complete the visa process myself without an agent to save on costs but having questions so early on isn't filling me with confidence. However, reading from people going through the move process is encouraging.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this. Keen to get the ball rolling now having talked about making the move for years.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:16 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skills Assessmemt Stage

Originally Posted by cc1rees
Hi, just starting out on our journey to OZ and wondered if anyone could help with the skills assessment forms. When it asks for qualifications and awarding bodies/transcripts with grades etc do you go as far back as A levels?

My husband and I both have degrees and over 10 years experience in the work place so we've got evidence of all that but can't find A level certificates and transcripts with modular marks etc. Sounded a bit much to me, especially since our degrees are higher qualifications anyway? Is it enough to just go back as far as degree details?

Was hoping to complete the visa process myself without an agent to save on costs but having questions so early on isn't filling me with confidence. However, reading from people going through the move process is encouraging.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this. Keen to get the ball rolling now having talked about making the move for years.
Generally I wouldn't think they are interested in your A level results as they are not relevant to your occupation. What the assessing bodies are looking for are those qualifications that enable you to do your job. Transcripts for the qualification can be obtained from issuing university I believe.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Yes I thought as much but wanted to hear from others for confidence. We'll go up to Degree then and hope for the best.

Sorry I posted in the wrong place originally.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by cc1rees; Mar 20th 2017 at 9:30 am.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:25 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

Some skills assessment authorities ask for high school results as evidence of English language ability, particularly as an alternative to an English language test.

Regards,

Richard
Old Mar 20th 2017, 9:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I thought as much but wanted to hear from others for confidence. We'll go up to Degree then and hope for then best.

Sorry I posted in the wrong place originally.

Thanks for the reply.
Not sure what your occupation is but there should be advice on the assessing body website, and possibly a document checklist. Remember, only one of you needs a valid skills assessment for a visa unless you are claiming partner points, in which case both occupations need to be on the same skills list.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Oh really?! That's interesting. I thought we both needed a skills assessment if we both wanted to work.

My husband is a construction project manager and I am a secondary school maths teacher. We are going for the subclass 189 skilled independent visa (we have enough points) on the basis of my husband securing a job in the first instance whilst I set up home with the two children. Once settled I hope to secure some part time or relief teaching work. Both occupations are on the SOL. I just assumed if we both wanted to work we both needed our skills assessed but I see your point there.

So to confirm, since my husband will be the main visa applicant we just need to get his skills assessed but I will still be able to work when I get there?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh really?! That's interesting. I thought we both needed a skills assessment if we both wanted to work.

My husband is a construction project manager and I am a secondary school maths teacher. We are going for the subclass 189 skilled independent visa (we have enough points) on the basis of my husband securing a job in the first instance whilst I set up home with the two children. Once settled I hope to secure some part time or relief teaching work. Both occupations are on the SOL. I just assumed if we both wanted to work we both needed our skills assessed but I see your point there.

So to confirm, since my husband will be the main visa applicant we just need to get his skills assessed but I will still be able to work when I get there?

Thanks in advance for the help.
For migration purposes yes, only your husband needsa skills assessment.

However, as a teacher, in order to work once you are here you will need to register with whichever state you will be working in. Its not a skills assessment, as you don't need it for migraton purposes, but its worth looking at what the requirements will be for you to register once here.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Check with your assessor - I did not submit anything related to high school.

To teach you will require state registration - some UK qualified teachers have found this difficult as some programs in the UK are shorter than what Australia requires. If I recall you also need to provide evidence that your student teaching practicum was 45 days or longer. Documents issued by your university about that should be sufficient.

New South Wales has a different system that they call "teacher accreditation" rather than "teacher registration" - the rest of the states and territories generally recognise each other's registration (and also New Zealand), NSW does not.

Once you gain your registration, (this varies by state) but you also may need a Department of Education police check (these are different than the national police checks) and a Working With Children Check. That includes for relief teachers.

My state starts all overseas qualified teachers on provisional registration, you then have a three-year period to make a portfolio and move on to full registration. That also includes for relief teachers, there are a certain amount of days you need to be engaged during the three-year period to maintain your registration.

It doesn't matter that secondary teachers are on the SOL, there is no actual shortage, just an "imbalance" (too many in the cities, not enough in remote areas).
Old Mar 21st 2017, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both so much for your responses. Very useful information and much appreciated.

I did wonder about the fact teaching was on the SOL yet no jobs and suspected it could be an imbalance so you've also confirmed that for me.

Does anyone know what kind of pay I could expect? I have 10 years experience and experience of being Head of Department and currently Numeracy Manager. I'm on UPS3 with TLR 2C so my full time wage in UK would be £44500, however I work PT so earn 60% of that. I just wanted an idea as if I have to start on a graduate salary I don't know if it would be worth me working since I would be paying for childcare for my youngest child. Having read forums about the cost of childcare I thought it would be useful to find out an approx salary.

Thanks for reading my post, any info/advice much appreciated.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

The states and territories all have publicly available wage awards.

Generally they accept overseas experience for salary purposes as long as you follow their format for the evidence (which is not difficult) - that should be posted but if not ring them. You don't already need a visa to get registered - so once you or your partner passes the skills assessment, I would go on and get registered in your intended state of residence, and have your experience assessed for salary purposes.

You mentioned you are at 60% - or 0.6 FTE as they would phrase that here - they will not count that as a full year. If you did that for 3 years, that would be 1.8 so they would grant you one year of experience for salary purposes. If you had four years at 0.6, that would be 2.4 so they would give you 2 years, 10 years at 0.6 you would get six years of service, etc.

If you have 10 full years of experience, not PT, you will come in at the top of the scale which would mean about $100,000 to $110,000 per year full time.

If you do relief on 10 years' experience you should expect to make $350 to $400 per day before taxes. Some states just pay a flat rate (in that range) for relief regardless of experience.

If you decided to go back into teaching - you would need to look for a regular role as it is extremely unlikely a school would hire someone coming in from overseas for a Head of Department role. Some states also still operate a centralized HR role where someone in the Department's office decides who goes where, not the schools.

Also, while jobs are hard to come by in the cities (the "imbalance") - it is even more difficult in some of the nicer regional towns as all the people who have worked Outback or remote, but don't want to go back to the capital, go there instead.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, carcajou, that's a detailed & helpful reply!

Good luck to you, cc1rees, in your application!
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Wow Carcajou, thank you for being so informative.

I totally understand what you are saying. I have 10 years experience working full time, although I had two maternity leaves within that time frame so maybe they would call it 8 years full time, even so I'm guessing that would still be a decent wage. This is my first year working part time. I don't expect to walk into a role of responsibility, neither would I want to. A regular post would suit me fine but from what people are saying I'll be lucky to get one. We are planning to move to Brisbane, the sunshine coast. We'll have to budget for just one wage until I can find work.

Thanks again for your time and effort. Much appreciated.