Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Dbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really nice
Default Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Hi,

My husband and I have been planning a move to Australia for quite some time and have been exploring our options on the best visa type. My brother in law is moving to Perth in January 2009 and we were hoping he could sponsor us. Everywhere I look on the DIAC website there is no mention on how long my bro in law has to be resident in Australia before he can sponsor us. However, I spoke to a senior consultant at Visa Bureau this morning and was informed that some of these migration agents have been providing me with the wrong information. I was informed that the legislation changed over a year ago stating that a permanent resident can sponsor a family member as soon as they move to Australia and that we do not have to wait 2 years or wait for him to complete 2 tax returns.

Can someone PLEASE clarify and confirm if this is correct?

D
Old Oct 30th 2008, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

mb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nice
Default Re: Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Originally Posted by Dbhudia
Hi,

My husband and I have been planning a move to Australia for quite some time and have been exploring our options on the best visa type. My brother in law is moving to Perth in January 2009 and we were hoping he could sponsor us. Everywhere I look on the DIAC website there is no mention on how long my bro in law has to be resident in Australia before he can sponsor us. However, I spoke to a senior consultant at Visa Bureau this morning and was informed that some of these migration agents have been providing me with the wrong information. I was informed that the legislation changed over a year ago stating that a permanent resident can sponsor a family member as soon as they move to Australia and that we do not have to wait 2 years or wait for him to complete 2 tax returns.

Can someone PLEASE clarify and confirm if this is correct?

D
D, which visa does your bro-in-law have? If he has a PR (Permanent Residency) visa he can very well sponsor you. I am assuming he is not a citizen since he will be moving only in Jan '09. He need not wait for 2yrs to become a citizen, neither wait for file tax returns.
My eldest bro sponsored me from Sydney for our family visa (176), & all he had to do is sign a few forms, submit documentation which authenticated our relation as stated & we were good to go with the appl.
Let us know which country you belong to, that way we can help you with proven migration agents who know what they are doing.
All the best with your future endeavors.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Dbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really niceDbhudia is just really nice

Originally Posted by mb_jg
D, which visa does your bro-in-law have? If he has a PR (Permanent Residency) visa he can very well sponsor you. I am assuming he is not a citizen since he will be moving only in Jan '09. He need not wait for 2yrs to become a citizen, neither wait for file tax returns.
My eldest bro sponsored me from Sydney for our family visa (176), & all he had to do is sign a few forms, submit documentation which authenticated our relation as stated & we were good to go with the appl.
Let us know which country you belong to, that way we can help you with proven migration agents who know what they are doing.
All the best with your future endeavors.

My bro-in-law works in trade and is going on as a skilled migrant and i believe that is classfied as PR?
We are from the UK so any information on proven migration agents would be great!

D
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

mb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nicemb_jg is just really nice

My bro-in-law works in trade and is going on as a skilled migrant and i believe that is classfied as PR?
We are from the UK so any information on proven migration agents would be great!

D
Nice, you can visit the MARA site (http://www.themara.com.au/) to find out all about listed agents, list of agents deactivated is also available on this site.
Go Matilda (Australia) Pty Limited is known to be a professional setup. You could always contact them.
There's plenty, I guess forum members should be able to give you first hand reviews about agents in the UK.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

andybhoyperth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I applied online for a 176 family sponsored (sister) visa. She has also sent the sponsorship application in online, but never received any confirmation. Is there anything on the website you can check to see if the sponsorship part has been received and if they require any further documents for that part?
The only thing we know about it, is she can no longer access the sponsorship part via my TRN number. (so assume it's been recieved ok??)
My own application doesn't mention anything about the sponsorship part.
cheers
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andybhoyperth
Hi,
I applied online for a 176 family sponsored (sister) visa. She has also sent the sponsorship application in online, but never received any confirmation. Is there anything on the website you can check to see if the sponsorship part has been received and if they require any further documents for that part?
The only thing we know about it, is she can no longer access the sponsorship part via my TRN number. (so assume it's been recieved ok??)
My own application doesn't mention anything about the sponsorship part.
cheers
Andy, your online access page would not contain information about your sponsors documents. In return, if required the CO would request for missing documentation relating to your sponsor, e.g. birth certificate etc....
Which month did you apply?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

. He need not wait for 2yrs to become a citizen, .
I think you will find that this is incorrect information. He will have to be resident in Australia for 4 years in order to become a citizen. www.citizenship.gov.au
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I think you will find that this is incorrect information. He will have to be resident in Australia for 4 years in order to become a citizen. www.citizenship.gov.au
And he doesn't need to be a citizen in order to sponsor for 176.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

I didn't think he needed to be a citizen in order to sponsor, as long as he is on a perm resident visa was the criteria i was told!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

andybhoyperth is an unknown quantity at this point

Andy, your online access page would not contain information about your sponsors documents. In return, if required the CO would request for missing documentation relating to your sponsor, e.g. birth certificate etc....
Which month did you apply?
Mb, thanks for the reply. I only applied the begining of September
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think he needed to be a citizen in order to sponsor, as long as he is on a perm resident visa was the criteria i was told!
He doesn't. However you said that he didn't have to wait 2 years to be a citizen and I pointed out that you were incorrect.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

He doesn't. However you said that he didn't have to wait 2 years to be a citizen and I pointed out that you were incorrect.
Apologies Dorothy, i misread your post. I believe someone else mentioned not having to wait 2 years to become a citizen.
Well thank you all for your help, my husband and I have now found the answers we were looking for! I was falling short by 5 points on the skilled independent and the skilled sponsored route was our only option. We were actually going to wait 2 years to apply as we were given the wrong information by other agents regarding how long my bro in law should be resident in Australia before he is eligible to sponsor us. Needless to say, we will most likely go with the agent that actually gave us the correct information from the offset!