Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Should i follow my head or heart? Temp Visa 457 with family

Should i follow my head or heart? Temp Visa 457 with family

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Sh3ll3y is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should i follow my head or heart? Temp Visa 457 with family

Yes the 60 days makes it almost impossible for new potential employer to become approved to sponsor if not already approved. So out you go. My husband is intent on taking a risk and if it was PR visa then there wouldd not be a doubt in my mind.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sh3ll3y
Yes the 60 days makes it almost impossible for new potential employer to become approved to sponsor if not already approved. So out you go. My husband is intent on taking a risk and if it was PR visa then there wouldd not be a doubt in my mind.
PR definitely way to go if you can get it.More security and you can go anywhere and work anywhere without consequences. Read a few stories and spoke to a few people who hated their job, didn't get on with their employer and felt threatened and bullied by them but were stuck due to 457 temp visa. On the other hand plenty have made a go of it and been successful.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Not a very sensible risk to take with a 13 year old IMHO. Sure, you may go, they may "love it", but then if you gave to return, getting them back unscathed into the UK system with exams coming up would be doing them no favours at all.

They reckon a single salary of around $100k is comfortable (not luxurious) so $35/hr would be more baked beans on toast territory for a family of 5.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Also just because Vic currently do not charge doesn't mean they won't soon. And they can and probably will apply it to people already in Australia as well as newcomers. Unless the employer is willing to pay ( unlikely) then that will add at least $10,000 to your annual spend.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Also you need to factor in cost of living and not just the exchange rate To live in Melbourne I would say you need at least 2.2 times what you earn in pounds in dollars. So £20,000 would be $44,000. At that $35 per hour would be equivalent to £15.90 per hour not £21.87 an hour if you use the current exchange rate. After all wages and living costs do not go up and down with the $/£ rate which has been as high as 2.5 and as low as1.3 in recent years.

Also you need to ask if super is on top of salary, the ATO has a calculator to work out take home pay.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe see it like this.

We arrived in Oz in 2008 - nine years ago. We moved to Sydney on a sponsored 457 visa and on a salary of $75k.

Now, Sydney is, I believe slightly more expensive than Melbourne, but today not massively so. Now, back in 2008, we struggled on that salary. We are a couple with no children and prices have risen a heck of a lot since 2008.

I was of course advised of this on here and didn't believe it and hey, we were very used to living on a tight budget, but quickly discovered the advice on the forum was pretty good.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shelley,

I personally wouldn't make the move for that salary. My earnings are more than that and we only have two kids, and citizenship now so we get rebates on Childcare, Centrelink payments if required, etc. Even with my OH working as well its not easy on anything less than $100k IMO. We were managing on about $70k when we first came back to Melbourne, on one income, but we did have the backup of citizenship, and we're not on a temporary visa.

I also think it would be particularly tough for your 13 yo. Kids start high school at 12 here so she would be coming into a school that already has established friendship groups, as well as trying to cope with a whole new curriculum. She may cope fine, many kids do, but what while happen then if you need to move back to the UK in a hurry?

Personally, I love living in Melbourne and think it's a great place to bring up kids, but I would want more security (if not more money) to move the whole family here, particularly given the cost of housing.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Jenny Baker is an unknown quantity at this point

There is the chance your husband could be eligible for the Certificate III in Telecommunications Technology. <snip>
This would then make him eligible to apply for the TRA assessment. <snip>
If he can get a positive skills assessment then he could ask the employer to do a Permanent 186/187.
Alternatively, if he can generate enough points he could apply for the 190. However, at this time his state options are very limited - SA require 80 points. NT invariably only offer a 489.
You should be seeking professional advise before you proceed too much further.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 5th 2017 at 9:38 am. Reason: Please don't advertise.