RRV

Old Jan 15th 2018, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

KirstiP is an unknown quantity at this point
Question RRV

Hi Everyone,

I have recently found this forum and its been a great source of information.
I wonder if someone may be able to give some advice/help?
My story:
Im 42 years old, born in London, emigrated to Melbourne in '82, left in '92 aged 16 as I was getting into trouble at school, so sent to London to stay with my nan - whom I have cared for.
Did my formative years in Melbs, all my school mates are there and my Mum, Dad, Uncle and brother and sister are all Aussie Citizens.
At 16 i had PR but had no idea I needed to return at a certain time, mum just had twins and didn't keep on top of it etc.
At 20 went back to Melbourne for 3 months, on a tourist visa (I had no idea i should have been applying for RRV)
23 years old, had a daughter and did a degree. Always always wanted to come home, but thought my only option was the last remaining relatives visa and that takes years:-(
Been in London ever since raising my daughter, she is now living independently.
We have been back about 4 times since I left and my mum and siblings have come to London often to visit. The only family I have here is my grandmother whom I cared for however she is now 91 and I have no support, all my mates are in Melbourne ( we have always kept in touch) Im very close to my brother and sister as well as both my parents.
I thought I could go for the 151 Former Resident Visa but I was only PR for 8 out of the 10 years I grew up in Melbs aged 6-16 years.
I have been told the RRV is my best bet. I'm scared in case, I can never join my family again. Its very isolating being in London when everyone lives in Melbourne and now my daughter is doing her own thing - just turned 19.
Any Advice on my chances? My resident permit is still valid. Been out the country for 26 years but back 4 times on hols, have very very close ties. Sorry for the long life story and thanks so much for any advice.
Best,
Kirsti

Last edited by KirstiP; Jan 15th 2018 at 8:26 pm. Reason: help pls
Old Jan 16th 2018, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Default Re: RRV

Please can someone tell me how I can delete a post?
Old Jan 16th 2018, 7:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KirstiP
Please can someone tell me how I can delete a post?
You can't I'm afraid, you can edit posts with 2 hours of posting but after that you can't amend or delete them.

HTH.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can't I'm afraid, you can edit posts with 2 hours of posting but after that you can't amend or delete them.

HTH.
Thanks for coming back to me...
Old Jan 17th 2018, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Anyone recommend a migration expert/lawyer in London?
Thanks in advance...
Old Jan 17th 2018, 12:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As you say a subclass 151 would be the way to go since you're very close to qualifying for that. Do you have precise dates for when you became a PR and left Australia to come to the UK?
Old Jan 17th 2018, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

I moved to Melbourne with my mum on 28 Oct 1982 - Started school and have proof of this. Thing is, i think I actually become PR in 1984 ( I was on a tourist visa before then) I left Melbs 26th May 1992. I think for 151 you have to have been PR for 9 years, not just spent the most part of your formative years in OZ.

Thanks so much for your response!
Best,

Last edited by KirstiP; Jan 17th 2018 at 1:15 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 1:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

So 9 years, 6 months, 4 weeks from the date of your arrival to the date of your departure. I would contact DHA and ask them to confirm the precise date you were granted PR.

You mentioned your parents are Australian citizens - when did they acquire their citizenship?
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

According to my passport it was the 3rd May 1984. And I was sent back to the UK on 26th May 1992. Started 1st year of primary however in 82. Urgh, it's such a scary process.
I know both my parents are now Citizens, not sure of exact dates - just emailed them to ask. My mum has been in Melb since 1982 and probably got PR 1984 along with me and my dad got to Melb in 1997. Both brother and sister (twins) were born in Melbourne.
Do you think this is a better option to pursue than the RRV? Just spoke to the DIAC and they advised to build a case. I'm not hopeful

Last edited by KirstiP; Jan 17th 2018 at 2:59 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by KirstiP
According to my passport it was the 3rd May 1984. And I was sent back to the UK on 26th May 1992. Started 1st year of primary however in 82. Urgh, it's such a scary process.
I know both my parents are now Citizens, not sure of exact dates - just emailed them to ask. My mum has been in Melb since 1982 and probably got PR 1984 along with me and my dad got to Melb in 1997. Both brother and sister (twins) were born in Melbourne.
Do you think this is a better option to pursue than the RRV? Just spoke to the DIAC and they advised to build a case. I'm not hopeful
I would request DHA to confirm in writing the date you were granted PR and double check exactly when your parents become citizens. A subclass 151 visa would be the way to go if it's possible; I would completely exhaust that avenue before considering anything else.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

@BritInParis
Thanks so much for the advice... 151 subclass will be my first step.
Appreciate your response ;-)