RPL for Australia - some advice

Old May 24th 2011, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Chan C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RPL for Australia - some advice

Hi
I do not have a degree but have 16 yrs IT experience, i am a project manager. I have been advised to apply for a RPL, has anybody done this, what is the process and if I pass will it make up for my 10 point deficit, any advise appreciated? Also PM is not on the SOL, so will I pass.
Old May 25th 2011, 9:24 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RPL for Australia - some advice

Originally Posted by Chan C
Hi
I do not have a degree but have 16 yrs IT experience, i am a project manager. I have been advised to apply for a RPL, has anybody done this, what is the process and if I pass will it make up for my 10 point deficit, any advise appreciated? Also PM is not on the SOL, so will I pass.
RPL is a quite long essay where you describe what you learned from your experience, organized by category. Quite tedious but not impossible thing to do.

10 points deficit - if you are referring to the new points test, I believe that you need to have a degree to get education points.

Finally, if your occupation is not on the SOL, you are not eligible to apply. The occupation codes are assigned more towards what you do on the job, rather than what the title is. If you were a project manager for a last year, lets say, and before then you were a software architect/designer type, you could apply on the back of your system designer experience, but this, not knowing your circumstances, is purely hypothetical. Your best chance is to discuss your situation with a registered migration agent with experience in ACS applications.
Old May 26th 2011, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Chan C is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I have discussed this with a migration agent, they said to apply for for the Skills Assessment, even though I dont have the degree, I assume purely for the cost they were going to charge me.
The agent did say based on what I have done in the past I map to a Systems Analyst which is on the list.
I contacted the ACL who suggested I do the RPL, but they would not give me a definitive answer on if I passed it, whether it would make up for the 10 points on the old system, which I think equates to 5 on the new.
I just want to know if anybody else has gone down this route and came out successful and then were able to apply for residency based on the positive result. Also any guidance on completing the RPL would be appreciated
Ta
Chan

Last edited by Chan C; May 26th 2011 at 4:52 pm.
Old May 26th 2011, 6:41 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chan C
Hi
I have discussed this with a migration agent, they said to apply for for the Skills Assessment, even though I dont have the degree, I assume purely for the cost they were going to charge me.
The agent did say based on what I have done in the past I map to a Systems Analyst which is on the list.
I contacted the ACL who suggested I do the RPL, but they would not give me a definitive answer on if I passed it, whether it would make up for the 10 points on the old system, which I think equates to 5 on the new.
I just want to know if anybody else has gone down this route and came out successful and then were able to apply for residency based on the positive result. Also any guidance on completing the RPL would be appreciated
Ta
Chan
I did the RPL as did many other posters on this site. One thing for certain, is that nobody else's completed result will help you, because everyone's career path is different. This is why there is just a structure of the essay on the ACS site, that you need to describe everything you picked up in your own words and let ACS decide if that is sufficient or not. Also, be aware, that ACS utilizes plagiarism detection software, so any prior (successful or not, does not matter) applications that are kept with them, being copy-pasted into your RPL work will be caught out and could serve as a basis of your case to be tossed out.

In addition to this essay you also provide as detailed reference letters as you can obtain from your employers over the prescribed period of time. That is a hard requirement, regardless of the type of your application, RPL or no RPL, still needs to be done. Ref letters should focus on your responsibilities and obviously have to support your education/career path described in the RPL essay.

Re. mapping to a code - ultimately, it is in the hands of the ACS. If they issue a positive assessment in a different code than you nominated (it happens sometimes) and the code is not on the SOL, the assessment will be good for nothing. It bears repeating, a qualified agent with a good deal of experience in ACS processes may be helpful.

Finally, ACS have never provided a pre-application advice, because nobody can tell for sure if you will pass or what code is most suitable, when they only have a rather basic phone conversation. As not everyone is eligible for the visa, same goes for the skills assessments - not everyone will be successful and you have to consider your risks on your own.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

mavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud of

I would recommend you check out the roles and responsibilities for that occupation (systems analyst?) and make sure you can meet the requirement. Off the top of my head the ACS require that 65?% of your experience matches with the nominated occupation and you'll need 8 years work experience and evidence to back it up.

My husband did his own RPL and it took months. It then sat with ACS for 5 months. It is time consuming and stressful but we got a positive result in the end. The key is being absolutely clear on what is required and being absolutely certain you can meet it. Read all the guidelines on the ACS website and if you fit the criteria go for it! Good luck!