Resident Return Visa after 40 Years Away

Old Mar 27th 2017, 12:06 am
Just Joined

MSUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Resident Return Visa after 40 Years Away

Looking for some advice from the very knowledgeable people that frequent this forum. I went to Australia from UK as a baby in 1951, went to school there etc and left around 1978...planning to return to live but never did. I left on British Passport (didn't have authority to return in those days) but since acquired EU version and also US citizenship/passport. All my family members (4 sisters with families) born there/ live there and we have maintained regular contact over the years...have a couple of properties there also...along with Australian citizen spouse of 25 years (who I met in US) who also has two oz kids living in the country We both want to move back to Oz for our golden years.. we have the financial numbers etc but am wanting to find out if I can get a resident return visa since I did live there for 25 plus years until my mid 20's. Yes I'm aware of the spouse visa etc but am interested in trying for the resident return visa based on my ongoing significant ties, previous residence, etc If I qualify...I know its been a long time but I have been back and forth multiple times on my US Passport with ETA ....appreciate thoughts/input etc ...Thank You !!!
Old Mar 27th 2017, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resident Return Visa after 40 Years Away

Have you looked at the options for former residents. Different to the RRV?
http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/151-

Looks like you might be eligible
Old Mar 27th 2017, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that info....did not know about that one (yet another testament to the knowledgeable people on this forum) I would be eligible looks like...except for the 42 year old upper age limit...I miss that by 20 years...the wrong way...waivers ????
Old Mar 27th 2017, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Worth seeking professional advice. It could be that you were a citizen back then. Worth perusing before shelling out thousands on a partner visa.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 2:55 am
Just Joined

Never was a citizen...just a permanent resident...parents...nobody pushed it since all my 4 sisters were born in Australia. Yes was hoping for the alternative to the $5K for the spouse version.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MSUS
Looking for some advice from the very knowledgeable people that frequent this forum. I went to Australia from UK as a baby in 1951, went to school there etc and left around 1978...planning to return to live but never did. I left on British Passport (didn't have authority to return in those days) but since acquired EU version and also US citizenship/passport. All my family members (4 sisters with families) born there/ live there and we have maintained regular contact over the years...have a couple of properties there also...along with Australian citizen spouse of 25 years (who I met in US) who also has two oz kids living in the country We both want to move back to Oz for our golden years.. we have the financial numbers etc but am wanting to find out if I can get a resident return visa since I did live there for 25 plus years until my mid 20's. Yes I'm aware of the spouse visa etc but am interested in trying for the resident return visa based on my ongoing significant ties, previous residence, etc If I qualify...I know its been a long time but I have been back and forth multiple times on my US Passport with ETA ....appreciate thoughts/input etc ...Thank You !!!
If it was me I would apply for the RRV which would be the cheapest ($360) and quickest to process online. You don't meet the requirements for recent time spent in Australia but you might meet personal ties.
If you write and attach a long and detailed statement about your time in Australia, close family living there, Aussie partner and property, reasons for staying away,you might just get in. Basically tell them your life story and attach the necessary documents.
If it was me processing the visa I would give it to you. I got an RRV grantedrecently after only spending 8 months in Australia back in 2010. Your ties seem stronger than mine.
Good luck.