Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Question about Vetassess for masters or PhD degree

Question about Vetassess for masters or PhD degree

Old Oct 23rd 2014, 9:34 am
Just Joined

ScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond reputeScouseMan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about Vetassess for masters or PhD degree

Hi,

I am applying for a skills assessment in Physics (ANZSCO 234914) for Vic state sponsored 190 visa. I finished my Masters in 2008, a PhD 2008 – 2012 and worked from 2012 – 2014. However, I was writing my PhD thesis whilst I worked fulltime and living in both Australia and France, so I was in no rush to write-up and I graduated in July 2014.

I have 2 years work experience since my Masters degree was awarded, but less than one years experience post PhD graduation. If my experience post PhD is taken into account only I will fail the skills assessment, but if my post masters experience is taken into account I will pass.

Q – Considering how a masters is sufficient for the skills assessment will they qualify my experience as post masters experience, and the PhD as a further, unnecessary, qualification?

Thanks! I appreciate your replies are simply your opinions, hopefully from having gone through the Vetassess process, and that Vetassess may act in strange ways. I guess I am looking for a little reassurance that I am not doing anything daft before spending over $1000 and waiting 3 – 4 months for the skills assessment.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 10:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Vetassess for masters or PhD degree

Originally Posted by ScouseMan
Hi,

I am applying for a skills assessment in Physics (ANZSCO 234914) for Vic state sponsored 190 visa. I finished my Masters in 2008, a PhD 2008 – 2012 and worked from 2012 – 2014. However, I was writing my PhD thesis whilst I worked fulltime and living in both Australia and France, so I was in no rush to write-up and I graduated in July 2014.

I have 2 years work experience since my Masters degree was awarded, but less than one years experience post PhD graduation. If my experience post PhD is taken into account only I will fail the skills assessment, but if my post masters experience is taken into account I will pass.

Q – Considering how a masters is sufficient for the skills assessment will they qualify my experience as post masters experience, and the PhD as a further, unnecessary, qualification?

Thanks! I appreciate your replies are simply your opinions, hopefully from having gone through the Vetassess process, and that Vetassess may act in strange ways. I guess I am looking for a little reassurance that I am not doing anything daft before spending over $1000 and waiting 3 – 4 months for the skills assessment.
If the Masters is all that is needed for the skills assessment, you do not need to submit the phd. If you want to claim points for a phd you may need to submit it for separate assessment though I think. You can ask Vetassess as well, they are usually quick and helpful
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 11:06 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Vetassess for masters or PhD degree

Originally Posted by ScouseMan
Hi,

Sparkles is a bit of a guru on this stuff, I'd follow her advice and check with Vetassess.

Also wanted to say hello, I have a bit of a soft spot for scousers, as my user name attests