Q: Australian 457 visa details

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 11:00 am
Stefanie Kethers

Hello everybody,

I have a subclass 457 visa for Australia, which I got because my de facto husband found an
employer willing to sponsor him, and I was included in the visa application. So far, so
good. What I'd like to know is, how "secure" are our visa? If, e.g., I find a job in
Australia, and at some point, he loses his job (which I don't hope, but you never know),
do we both lose our visa? Or, if he should decide to return to Germany some time (let's
say 3 months) before me, do I lose my visa? Finally, what would happen to our visa if we
split up for some reason?

Thanks for any answers!

Cheers, Stefanie

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 5:20 pm
George Lombard

Hi Stefanie,

Your husband is the primary visa holder and is only allowed to work for his employer,
however you are permitted to work for anyone. If his employer withdraws its sponsorship
by formally advising DIMA, then the visas will be cancelled; if, on the other hand, he is
laid off during a periodic downturn and is just not working, then I think your visas
would probably not be cancelled, provided he does not work for another employer without
DIMA permission. I think the same situation applies, strangely enough, if he returns to
Germany and leaves you here. As long as there is no basis for cancelling his visa, and as
long as the employer does not withdraw the sponsorship, you would be entitled to remain
here and work.

If you break up, and if DIMA find out, your visa is subject to automatic cancellation.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

Stefanie Kethers
>Hello everybody,
>
>I have a subclass 457 visa for Australia, which I got because my de facto husband found
>an employer willing to sponsor him, and I was included in the visa application. So far,
>so good. What I'd like to know is, how "secure" are our visa? If, e.g., I find a job in
>Australia, and at some point, he loses his job (which I don't hope, but you never know),
>do we both lose our visa? Or, if he should decide to return to Germany some time (let's
>say 3 months) before me, do I lose my visa? Finally, what would happen to our visa if we
>split up for some reason?
>
>
>Thanks for any answers!
>
>Cheers, Stefanie

Old Feb 25th 2001, 12:23 pm
Stefanie Kethers

[...]

Thanks!

Cheers, Stefanie