Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

!?!PUZZLE!?! - NAATI - certifying translated docs

!?!PUZZLE!?! - NAATI - certifying translated docs

Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

morganj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default !?!PUZZLE!?! - NAATI - certifying translated docs

Hi all,

My partner has been diligently reading through her NAATI documentation, and they have requested that she gets her university certificates translated and certified. But by whom?

I've said to her that she'll need to get a translator (which seems ironic since she can do that herself), or to go back to her Uni and ask them to translate them into English. This should not be a problem since she obviously took a language degree.

So my query is who is best able to do that? And has anyone got a recommendation to who would be best to do the job? How long did it take to return the translated and certified documents. And finally how much did it cost?

We're based in Bristol, if that's of any use.

Thanks,
Jay
Old Feb 13th 2004, 11:04 am
din
Forum Regular

din is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: !?!PUZZLE!?! - NAATI - certifying translated docs

Hi,
I don't know where your partner got her degree, but going back to the uni seems to be the easiest option, if they have templates for their degrees...(I studied translations and my uni did *not* have anything in English, I had to translate all the docs myself...which is quite sad, really). Otherwise, any certified translator can do the job (it doesnt have to be a NAATI qualified translator if you're abroad, as far as I understand - at least the NAATI didnt make a fuss about my documents when i went for accreditation). Check the yellow pages for a translator in your area...turnaround from my experience should be no more than two days if the translator is not too busy and depending on the amount of documents of course.
Hope this helps a little
Good luck
Nadine
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nadine,

They trusted you with your translation? How strange - not that I'm saying your not trustworthy

I guess you had to include your original certificates as well.

But when you got your translated docs, did you say "I certify these documents to be a copy (and translated copy at that) of the original"? How does that work?

Thanks for the advice on translators I've just done a quick search and in the Bristol area alone there are 44 of them. We may look at that, but if she can translate it herself then we won't bother.

Also, Nadine, may be you could be of help in respect to the 5 bonus points for NAATI accreditation. What does that entail? How do you get awarded these bonus 5 points? My partner has been looking at this, but I'm confused by it. I feel a little in the dark compared to my on area of expertise.

Thanks,
Jay
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hans de Visser is an unknown quantity at this point

Let your partner translate them herself, and then have another translator certify them to be accurate translations. Saves the translator a lot of time, and consequently saves you a lot of money.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ha, okay! I'm getting it now. I was confused, so she does need to get a translator to certify them.

Does anyone know anything about the 5 bonus points?

Originally posted by Hans de Visser
Let your partner translate them herself, and then have another translator certify them to be accurate translations. Saves the translator a lot of time, and consequently saves you a lot of money.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by morganj
Ha, okay! I'm getting it now. I was confused, so she does need to get a translator to certify them.

Thanks Hans - by the way
Old Feb 16th 2004, 7:44 am
din
Forum Regular

din is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]

Hi,
yes, you get the 5 Bonus points if you're fluent in a "community language", which is posted on one of those lists (in the end I decided not to go for Skilled migration, so I'm not sure how the whole thing works, but with the NAATI accreditation (based on either your education, i.e. degree or sitting the test) you are eligible for the 5 points).
Nadine
Old Feb 16th 2004, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Nadine,

So she could get awarded 5 bonus points because of her degree in languages. Is that it?

Because that would really help her chances of getting out there.

Cheers
Jay
Old Feb 16th 2004, 7:55 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by morganj
So she could get awarded 5 bonus points because of her degree in languages. Is that it?
http://ptlabs.topcities.com/faq0.html#m006
Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ptlabs
http://ptlabs.topcities.com/faq0.html#m006
Thanks for that quick response. I've looked in booklet 6 and it didn't make much sense to me, but your explanation did.

Since my partner is French that looks favourable!!!

Excellent, thanks.