Prospective Marriage Visa

Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Brissiegal9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prospective Marriage Visa

Hi all, i just thought i'd use this op to introduce myself; I'm an Australian, engaged to a Brit. I have been browsing this site for a while, and its been a huge help!

Just in the process of sifting thru the paperwork and hopefully going to lodge our PMV in the next few weeks. I'm currently in the UK with the OH but leaving at the end of Oct. Hopefully our visa ap will be processed quickly, can't stand to be away from him for too long We are hoping if we frontload everything (meds done this weekend police clearance on its way) we should have an answer within a few weeks, judging by other stories on here its not too unrealistic?

Also thought i'd share something with you, I rang the Immigration line yesterday and spoke to someone about processing times. As usual he said it can take up to 3 months, but then advised me to have the OH go into the country on a tourist visa, and then pop over to New Zealand when its approved! Has anyone else done this??

Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice
Default Re: Prospective Marriage Visa

Depending on the country he is from. Since he is from the UK, I have read many PMV grants from UK being very quick. I got mine in about 3 months from application (not from UK though) but I applied offshore and got it granted offshore as well. I frontloaded everything except medicals.

Subclass 300 is not a very good visa for the applicant if he/she is able to apply a PR visa on their own merit as the sponsor have very significant influence on the life of a person on a PMV. As an individual human being, subjective choices and decision of the sponsor could lead to the downfall of the person on the visa.

I know as I experienced it in the past when I was on a PMV and almost got my whole life and future ruined by the sponsor. I would advise all PMV applicants to use PMV as a means of getting a fast entry to Australia but at the same time apply for your own PR visa at the same time (if you are eligible to do so). This is just in case returning to your original country is not something you want to do if anything happens. Human relationships are subjective and fragile, relationship changes overnight are not uncommon.

Of course I don't mean your relationship or anyone else's would end up like mine. Just pointing out the worst case scenario. In your case you have nothing to worry about since you will be the sponsor, your fiance will be the one on a PMV. Its your fiance who should be considering his disadvantage status on a PMV.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:37 am
Just Joined

sorry to hear about ur situation looky.

my OH is only migrating so that we can be together, its not just an easy route into the country! hopefully our visa app will be straight forward enough for it to be granted relatively quickly.

Actually thought of another question; I have read that the wedding date may impact on how quickly the decision is made; has anyone,or does anyone see an issue with, going for a sooner wedding date on the NOIM form, and then changing it if need be once in the country?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brissiegal9

my OH is only migrating so that we can be together, its not just an easy route into the country!
Don't be, I have wisen up since and not let any life influencing situation be under the control of an individual person.

I didn't get on that visa just to get into the country. I was migrating too so we could get married.

Good luck with the application.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

my OH is only migrating so that we can be together, its not just an easy route into the country! hopefully our visa app will be straight forward enough for it to be granted relatively quickly.

Actually thought of another question; I have read that the wedding date may impact on how quickly the decision is made; has anyone,or does anyone see an issue with, going for a sooner wedding date on the NOIM form, and then changing it if need be once in the country?
My understanding (OH came over on a PMV and his Spouse visa was approved this week) is that the only condition regarding the wedding is that it occurs with in the 9 month period. I see no reason that you could not just ask your celebrant to change the date once you get here (within the 9 months tho) after all, loads of wedding dates get changed for many reasons
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Veronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond reputeVeronika has a reputation beyond repute

If you submit everything at the same time (and your meds and police checks are done), and you explain in your covering letter when you are leaving and how you would both like to travel to OZ together, there is a good chance they will process the visa in time for you both to leave for Australia together. (They can process the PMV in as little as a couple of days, if they are in the mood.)

But the travel to OZ an then to NZ for visa grant option is also fine.

I have not heard of there being a problem with changing wedding dates, as confuzzled said, the requirement is that you must get married within 9 months, not on a particular date.

Having said that though, I really wouldn't lie about this. If you have to do a telephone interview, for example, and you trip up because you have lied about a silly thing like the wedding date, that will just not look good.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confuzzled
My understanding (OH came over on a PMV and his Spouse visa was approved this week) is that the only condition regarding the wedding is that it occurs with in the 9 month period. I see no reason that you could not just ask your celebrant to change the date once you get here (within the 9 months tho) after all, loads of wedding dates get changed for many reasons
Wedding dates are frequently changed and its not a hassle. I changed my own when I came over, and the celebrant said that PMV holders almost always had to alter the dates.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your help, its been very much appreciated! I am hand delivering the app today, wish us luck!!!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:27 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Brissiegal9 !

I'm in australia on a PMV at the moment and we had to change our wedding date for various reasons. As others have said as long as you get married within the 9 month visa period then you are fine. I just got married just over a week ago and am about to enter into phase 2 of the process - eeeeek! My advice is make sure you keep a copy of your original application as it will make putting together the next phase much easier! I did it, and I'm feeling pleased with myself <insert smug smiley>

Incidentally, my PMV application took 2 weeks but that was back in February. Hope yours is as quick as I agree it's horrible when you are forced to be apart, although great when you get back together!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

halfpint74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everybody!!!

Congratulations to all you guys who have had luck with their visas!!! Im a newbie and my belly is in turmoil with all this...but the support on here is fantastic and has given me hope!!

Im engaged to an ozzie bloke, Im in uk and submitted my visa, police checks statutory declarations and consent for kids to go and going for medicals tomorrow with my kids. They have everything on the checklist except the medical results.

Really worried I wont get this even though we have ticked all the boxes, what is the success rate and how quickly should I hear something. I sent my visa off 2 weeks ago and still not heard from a case worker, is this a good sign hoping that they are waiting on my medicals. My OH is very positive and thinks we will be back together for Christmas...I really hope so its been 6 weeks since Ive seen him and its killing me and none of my family really understand.

Any words of advice off you guys would be a great help.

Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Hi! I'm actually on my way home to Brisbane now, half-way there at the airport! We sent ours off a week ago, had the money taken out on Thursday... We are really really hoping that my partner can come in 3 weeks, trying to stay positive...

They had our medicals before we sent our application in, but will let you know when we hear...

Thanks again for everyone support here!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

halfpint74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how long after the visa is granted do they give you to enter Australia? Im assuming it is a reasonable timescale as most people have notices to hand in at work and houses to sort out.....still not heard anything about mine...hopefully no news is good news....its so exciting I could be back with my future hubby very soon but also very nerve wracking opening my in box and mail every day.

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:35 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halfpint74
Does anyone know how long after the visa is granted do they give you to enter Australia? Im assuming it is a reasonable timescale as most people have notices to hand in at work and houses to sort out.....still not heard anything about mine...hopefully no news is good news....its so exciting I could be back with my future hubby very soon but also very nerve wracking opening my in box and mail every day.

Answered on the other thread where you posted the same question
Old Oct 26th 2008, 6:46 am
Just Joined

Hi all, VISA GRANTED!!!! Yay! Got the email on Thursday... so was just over a week from when we lodged it.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:31 am
Home and Happy

Hi all, VISA GRANTED!!!! Yay! Got the email on Thursday... so was just over a week from when we lodged it.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Woohoo!!! Congratulations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.