Proof of substantial ties to Australia

Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Missl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to all
Default Proof of substantial ties to Australia

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice/reassurance from anyone with experience in having to prove substantial ties to Australia as part of a citizenship application.

I'm a Brit who has lived in Australia for just over 7 years, the past 18 months as PR. I've been in a relationship with my Aussie citizen partner for 8 years, married for two of those. I have applied for Australian citizenship, sat and passed my test, but still needing to attend my ceremony to make it official.

It just so happened in the middle of my applying for citizenship, my husband was transferred to the UK for work so we moved in July (after my test but before my ceremony). We don't know how long we will be here yet, but it's not intended to be permanent just a year or two at most. We've rented out our house in Australia and not sold it, and I still work for my Australian employer just remotely. It is our genuine intention to return to Australia to live at some point, we just don't know when. We'll always have two homes as we both have very close family relationships but our families are on different sides of the world.

In a case of bad timing my first ceremony was scheduled only a week after we landed in London so I couldn't make it back to attend - it was way quicker than I expected I thought it would take a couple months longer and was fully prepared to just fly back for it. I will be back in Australia quite regularly for work, so I've been going back and forth with immigration on a new date for my ceremony but now they have said they want proof of my ongoing ties to Australia or they will cancel my application altogether.

I have provided all the following documents as evidence - from other's experiences is this enough to be considered as having substantial ties?

- a letter explaining our situation and reasons for being overseas as well as confirming my ongoing commitment and intention to return to Australia
- copy of my husband's Australian passport as proof of his citizenship
- copy of our marriage certificate
- copy of the title of the house and proof of sale for the home we jointly own in Melbourne
- copy of my husband's UK contract (as we moved for him, the Aussie citizen, not me the Brit!)
- a letter from my employer in Australia confirming I continue to be a permanent employee for the Australian business being paid in AUD just working remotely from the UK
- my 3 most recent payslips as evidence I am still being paid in AUD by my Australian employer

Is there anything else others suggest I include? Do you think this is enough? I'm anxious about having the whole application cancelled and having to go through another immigration nightmare (not to mention lots of $$) when we do return.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Last edited by Missl73; Aug 29th 2017 at 1:06 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Missl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to allMissl73 is a name known to all
Default Re: Proof of substantial ties to Australia

Sorry, another question - reading threads on this forum (mostly at least a year or two old) it seems you used to be able to do your ceremony at the Australian High Commission in London. Assuming they allow my application to go ahead, does anyone know is this still an option? Thanks!
Old Aug 30th 2017, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

That seems like plenty of evidence to me.

Yes, you can do a ceremony at Australia House
Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Verystormy! Fingers crossed all will be fine. Do you know what I'd need to do to go about organizing to have my ceremony at Australia House? It would be much easier than having to book flights at really short notice back to Melbourne for it!
Old Aug 30th 2017, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Once things are all approved, I would give Australia House a call
Old Aug 31st 2017, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with verystormy. That seems like it easily passes the threshold of substantial ties.

My assumption is that you got flagged because of the move - theoretically you have to make a good-faith promise to continue living in Australia as a condition of being granted citizenship, though a number of people just take the passport and jet off, so they want to see that you intend to return. On a fixed-term UK contract with an end date, while retaining permanent employment in Australia, marriage to an Australian citizen etc - I don't think this will be a problem at all and is just the Department doing their due diligence.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 1:35 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The next citizenship ceremony at Australia House is on 15 September. They're usually every six months so I wouldn't hang about if you want to be squeezed in.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The next citizenship ceremony at Australia House is on 15 September. They're usually every six months so I wouldn't hang about if you want to be squeezed in.
I'd assume they aren't going to let me book in if they haven't come back yet to confirm they accept my evidence of substantial ties - they didn't give me any indication of how long that will take? Any recommendations on what to do? Should I call Australia House?
Old Sep 14th 2017, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Than you all for your advice and reassurance, I received confirmation today that they are satisfied with the evidence I provided and I can still become a citizen, phew!! Now I just need to get them to agree to let me do my ceremony at Australia House...!