Possibility of a 175?

Old Oct 25th 2008, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

AusDream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possibility of a 175?

In Aus on a 457 but job contract ends next July. Wife and kids love it and would like to see if we can continue the life down under for a while yet. Dislike my job and seems unlikely they will extend the contract right now.

I seem to make the points score of 120 although hit 35 this year so need to get a move on so as not to lose any points.

Any thoughts on below warmly appreciated:

*Will my current employer be made aware that I am going for 175 and how long is the process (6months?)
*Current job was highly stressful so on medication for depression - does that ruin the application?
*For English do I need to take a test to get max points - think 25 (even though born and raised in UK?)

Thanks and good karma
Old Oct 26th 2008, 12:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibility of a 175?

Originally Posted by AusDream
In Aus on a 457 but job contract ends next July. Wife and kids love it and would like to see if we can continue the life down under for a while yet. Dislike my job and seems unlikely they will extend the contract right now.

I seem to make the points score of 120 although hit 35 this year so need to get a move on so as not to lose any points.

Any thoughts on below warmly appreciated:

*Will my current employer be made aware that I am going for 175 and how long is the process (6months?)
Yes. If you want to claim points for Australian experience, they you are going to need a reference from your current employer. The process is anywhere from 6-18 months. Unfortunately, nobody can give you any more specific timeframe, as each application is judged on it's own merits and some just take longer than others.
*Current job was highly stressful so on medication for depression - does that ruin the application?
No, not at all. Lots of people on antidepressants. Just have your GP (or whoever prescribed them) write a short note explaining why you take them.
*For English do I need to take a test to get max points - think 25 (even though born and raised in UK?)
If you require 25 points in order to meet the 120 mark, then yes, you will need to sit the IELTS. Being born and raised in UK gives you 15 points for English.

Thanks and good karma
I would suggest you take a good long read of booklet 6 here: www.immi.gov.au
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

AusDream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possibility of a 175?

Thanks Dorothy