Advice for spousal PR->Citizenship please

Old Sep 5th 2017, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice
Default Advice for spousal PR->Citizenship please

Hi,

I'm confused by the citizenship rules, and want to get clarification on our situation:

I'm an Australian Citizen and my wife has PR.

She's keen to get Australian citizenship, but we've been out of the Country (in the UK) since December 2015, due to my work.

We're returning to Australia in November 2017 - how long until she'll be able to apply for Citizenship?

NB - She moved to Australia in October 2011.

Thank you,

Stuart
Old Sep 5th 2017, 10:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for spousal PR->Citizenship please

Originally Posted by saintstu
Hi,

I'm confused by the citizenship rules, and want to get clarification on our situation:

I'm an Australian Citizen and my wife has PR.

She's keen to get Australian citizenship, but we've been out of the Country (in the UK) since December 2015, due to my work.

We're returning to Australia in November 2017 - how long until she'll be able to apply for Citizenship?

NB - She moved to Australia in October 2011.

Thank you,

Stuart
Main problem at the moment is that the government is right in the middle of deciding whether the latest batch of changes should become law,so I think a definitive answer is impossible at present.

Certainly under the old rules she would only be able to spend 90 days offshore in the12 months before applying, for one thing.
Secondly -and here it might be worth paying an agent -who wereyou working for? If it was an Aus company that sent you overseas, or work for the Aus Govt, then that can move the goal posts somewhat.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice

Thank you Pollyanna. It's all very confusing at the moment!

I'll contact an agent when I'm back in Australia and see if we can move things forward then.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saintstu
Thank you Pollyanna. It's all very confusing at the moment!

I'll contact an agent when I'm back in Australia and see if we can move things forward then.
Nothing is going to happen until the current bill is sorted out, not even the best agent can move things forward at present. All applications are on hold.