Please explain visas to me!!

Old Feb 24th 2014, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

echat75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please explain visas to me!!

My head is spinning with all the choices of visa and different options!! I'm not sure which is the best for us. Also don't want to mess it up by choosing the wrong visa, to then find there is a better one!

Our situation:
A family of 4, Im on the SOL as a special needs teacher but husband can be sponsored with his job as he can arrange a transfer from uk to sydney. Both children are under 10. So he will have a job to go to and I will aim to look for a job either before we go or when out there. We aim to live in Australia permanently unless we hate it!

What do you recommend o wise folk..
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please explain visas to me!!

There really are not that many visa options. You could do either of the things you suggested, or both if your husband only gets sponsored fir a temporary visa. Choose a isa fit for purpose, if you want to move permanently get a permanent visa.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 4:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by echat75
My head is spinning with all the choices of visa and different options!! I'm not sure which is the best for us. Also don't want to mess it up by choosing the wrong visa, to then find there is a better one!

Our situation:
A family of 4, Im on the SOL as a special needs teacher but husband can be sponsored with his job as he can arrange a transfer from uk to sydney. Both children are under 10. So he will have a job to go to and I will aim to look for a job either before we go or when out there. We aim to live in Australia permanently unless we hate it!

What do you recommend o wise folk..
If he can get sponsorship, try and make sure it is permanent sponsorship rather than a temporary 457, otherwise you may have to leave after a few years.
You would need to look into requirements for registration as a teacher on whichever State you move to - New South Wales if he gets sponsored to Sydney - and then you'd need to find a job. Arriving with him already sorted for employment would seem the best option

I'd start with http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index.htm and look at the Skilled Workers tab with details for the 186
Old Feb 25th 2014, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

echat75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Than so, if he does end up with a 457 can he then apply to a permanent one when it expires so we don't have to leave?
Old Feb 25th 2014, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by echat75
Than so, if he does end up with a 457 can he then apply to a permanent one when it expires so we don't have to leave?
If you qualify for a permanent visa you can apply for a permanent visa. The 457 has little to do with it. Many of us get permanent visas from the start. If you want to move permanentlym then as I said, a permanent visa is a better option.

If you did get a 457 first because of the work transfer, there is no need to wait for it to expire before thinking about the longer term plan.

Have you done much reading on www.immi.gov.au yet? If not i would recommend it, read about the 457 visa if you like, but I would recommend reading about the 189 or 190 visa.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 10:17 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

There are many advantages to a permanent visa. Just one example, on a 457 visa in NSW you will have to pay just under $10K per annum for your children's schooling