Ping pong Poms.....

Old Apr 14th 2016, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough
Default Ping pong Poms.....

I haven't been on the forum fora very long time - so I'll give a brief bit of background. We moved to Australia via my husbands lateral transfer to ADF. From the day I arrived I hated it and couldn't wait to get back to uk. Because of the transfer we had to stay put for 3yrs - which made me feel even more homesick because of being "trapped". After 12 months we managed to move to Melbourne and life did become easier. However, the desire to come home was still there and we returned to the uk in 2011.

Fast forward 5yrs and I'm now thinking we should move back to Melbourne.... I loved being back in the uk initially but then every couple of years I feel a pang for Australia but this time we really are very tempted to move back. My husband and 2 children (8 and 10) have citizenship but my PR visa has expired but I believe I can apply for a RRV....? Anyway, I never understood the phrase "ping pong poms" but now I really do and it's an awful feeling - being torn between the two! The things I (my husband and children enjoyed Aussie life) didn't like will still be there but I think I might see the lifestyle and habits differently now.... However, I'd hate to make the leap and regret it - oh to have a crystal ball...!

So, any other ping pongers out there....? Does the feeling ever go....? Should I give Aus another chance.....
Old Apr 15th 2016, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping pong Poms.....

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1
I haven't been on the forum fora very long time - so I'll give a brief bit of background. We moved to Australia via my husbands lateral transfer to ADF. From the day I arrived I hated it and couldn't wait to get back to uk. Because of the transfer we had to stay put for 3yrs - which made me feel even more homesick because of being "trapped". After 12 months we managed to move to Melbourne and life did become easier. However, the desire to come home was still there and we returned to the uk in 2011.

Fast forward 5yrs and I'm now thinking we should move back to Melbourne.... I loved being back in the uk initially but then every couple of years I feel a pang for Australia but this time we really are very tempted to move back. My husband and 2 children (8 and 10) have citizenship but my PR visa has expired but I believe I can apply for a RRV....? Anyway, I never understood the phrase "ping pong poms" but now I really do and it's an awful feeling - being torn between the two! The things I (my husband and children enjoyed Aussie life) didn't like will still be there but I think I might see the lifestyle and habits differently now.... However, I'd hate to make the leap and regret it - oh to have a crystal ball...!

So, any other ping pongers out there....? Does the feeling ever go....? Should I give Aus another chance.....

Dont think it ever goes away. Lets face it, there is good and bad in every country and either way, its going to be a compromise. Probably comes down to what you will compromise.

If you are coming back to australia after 2011. FORGET property prices back then. Most stuff in melbourne goes way over the price guide, eg 700 price guide will usually sell 850 plus, thats not a great house BTW, often a dump actually. 15 bidders is nothing, its competitive.

I personally like melbourne, but I dont kid myself, the weather is mental, summers too hot and getting hotter, job market is very competitive. Crime is also pretty shocking at times, visitors often pick up on that one. But its a fun city, especially for the teens.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 5:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
the weather is mental, summers too hot and getting hotter
No they're not

Melbourne - and the rest of Australia - is hot. Always has been, always will be

Nothing has changed
Old Apr 15th 2016, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

One of the main things to consider would be jobs. What would he do?
Old Apr 15th 2016, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough

He still has lots of contacts in Australia and we wouldn't come back without a firm job offer.

With regards to house prices - it's crazy prices in UK also...
Old Apr 15th 2016, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Bermuda for a couple of years, was very unhappy there and for reasons I won't bore you with, I was also trapped for a two year period. Eight years on, I look back and I don't feel it was so bad. I sometimes ask why we left and say we should have done a bit longer. At this point Mr BS reminds me of the terrible mental state I was in and assures me we did the right thing in leaving.

But I have forgotten about that, I think the mind compensates and you can forget the bad stuff and remember the good stuff, like Bermuda is a really pretty island.

So my worry is that you are going to go back and feel just the same as you did before. You didn't sound torn to me, you sound like you just didn't like it in Australia. I think you have to really examine your motivations very carefully and understand what it is you are hoping to achieve before up heaving yourself again.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I lived in Bermuda for a couple of years, was very unhappy there and for reasons I won't bore you with, I was also trapped for a two year period. Eight years on, I look back and I don't feel it was so bad. I sometimes ask why we left and say we should have done a bit longer. At this point Mr BS reminds me of the terrible mental state I was in and assures me we did the right thing in leaving.

But I have forgotten about that, I think the mind compensates and you can forget the bad stuff and remember the good stuff.

So my worry is that you are going to go back and feel just the same as you did before. You didn't sound torn to me, you sound like you just didn't like it in Australia. I think you have to really examine your motivations very carefully and understand what it is you are hoping to achieve before up heaving yourself again.
Yes, you are right and your story sounds very similar to mine. Maybe I just need to visit on holiday to satisfy the itch....
Old Apr 15th 2016, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Why would the OP need a RRV is her husband has Oz citizenship?
Old Apr 15th 2016, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Why would the OP need a RRV is her husband has Oz citizenship?
She would need a RRV because the travel rights on the PR visa have expired.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

She would need a RRV because the travel rights on the PR visa have expired.
I see. I was thinking a spouse visa would be a better route but I guess I'm missing something?
Old Apr 15th 2016, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I see. I was thinking a spouse visa would be a better route but I guess I'm missing something?
I don't know what the other visa takes but the spousal visa is a nightmare to apply for, and takes forever.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beoz
I don't know what the other visa takes but the spousal visa is a nightmare to apply for, and takes forever.
Oh I see, thanks. I'll stop asking questions I know sod all about now, carry on.

Last edited by Tr1boy; Apr 15th 2016 at 11:06 am.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 10:58 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I see, thanks. I'll stop asking questions I know sod all about know, carry on.
Don't stop asking questions, that's how we all learn
Old Apr 15th 2016, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No the RRV will cost a few hundred dollars and take few weeks max. A brand new spouse visa would be several thousand dollars and would take a year or so.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

No the RRV will cost a few hundred dollars and take few weeks max. A brand new spouse visa would be several thousand dollars and would take a year or so.
A year or so. My word. It was 6 months 6 years ago and I thought that was appalling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.