Permanent residency

Old Nov 8th 2017, 5:21 am
Just Joined

GlennD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent residency

Hi guys, newbie to this site.

Just wondering if anyone can throw some light on a question we have.
I am an Australian citizen (born here) and my wife and I were married in the 1980's.
My wife came to Australia, with both parents, 50 yrs ago on a "Document of Identity". (Her parents have since returned to the UK some years ago)
Is she considered to be a "permanent resident"? (she has never left Australia, voted, paid taxes, draws an Aussie pension)
Many thanx in advance,
Glenn
Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent residency

Hi, and welcome to BE. You've posted in 'The Lounge' which is for general chat, I'll move your thread to the Aus immi forums where the good folks there will no doubt be able to help you.

Good luck.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GlennD
Hi guys, newbie to this site.

Just wondering if anyone can throw some light on a question we have.
I am an Australian citizen (born here) and my wife and I were married in the 1980's.
My wife came to Australia, with both parents, 50 yrs ago on a "Document of Identity". (Her parents have since returned to the UK some years ago)
Is she considered to be a "permanent resident"? (she has never left Australia, voted, paid taxes, draws an Aussie pension)
Many thanx in advance,
Glenn
She most certainly is a Permanent Resident. She wouldn't be able to draw a pension if she wasn't.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NickyC
She most certainly is a Permanent Resident. She wouldn't be able to draw a pension if she wasn't.
Thank you NickyC, that is great to hear. Would you happen to know how one goes about getting written proof. She has applied for a British passport and needs this to return to Oz. Thanx
Old Nov 8th 2017, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

She would need to apply for a RRV visa once she receives her British passport. This will enable her to re-enter Australia if she leaves the country and is valid for 5 years.

Have a look here:https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/155-

She should also think about applying for Australian citizenship. She could then get an Australian passport and won't have to bother with RRVs every few years.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:03 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Once she receives her British passport it is very important that she provides her passport details to DIBP otherwise she will not be able to board a flight back to Australia. Your wife should also consider applying for Australian citizenship in case she needs to spend a lengthy period of time outside Australia in the future, e.g. caring for her parents.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Many thanx, again, NickyC.
We tried the citizenship route back in July, but, with all the polly b/s our application is somewhere in the system and no-one can tell us definitively when it may be granted (website says 10mnths).
Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Many thanx BritInParis. Me thinks we have plenty of similar thoughts as to which way we should proceed.

Last edited by GlennD; Nov 8th 2017 at 11:33 am. Reason: Bad spelling... my pet hate
Old Nov 8th 2017, 8:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
She would need to apply for a RRV visa once she receives her British passport. This will enable her to re-enter Australia if she leaves the country and is valid for 5 years.

Have a look here:https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/155-
That may or may not apply depending on precisely what status the wife's OP has. Once she has obtained her British passport the best thing to do would be contact DIBP.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Many thanx for all your advice. She now has a British passport, which was back in Oz two weeks to the day (sent 07/11, received 21/11 - kudos to HM Passport Office)
Now we'll get RRV organised.

Many thanx, again, to all those who posted
Old Nov 27th 2017, 5:01 am

Contact DIBP first. A RRV may be unnecessary depending on her status.