Partner Visa: how long realistically?

Old Jul 24th 2017, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Partner Visa: how long realistically?

I am applying for the 820. Immigration say it takes an average of 18 months, however someone told me they got theirs in 5 weeks!

I have some decisions that make with regard to work, so some insight would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Partner Visa: how long realistically?

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
I am applying for the 820. Immigration say it takes an average of 18 months, however someone told me they got theirs in 5 weeks!

I have some decisions that make with regard to work, so some insight would be helpful.

Thanks!
I think you'll find 5 weeks at present is the exception rather than the rule.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think you'll find 5 weeks at present is the exception rather than the rule.
Thanks Pollyanna. How about a Bridging Visa? Is that automatically granted when you apply for the Spouse Visa and does this allow you to work?

Thanks.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 10:27 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaLaLayla
Thanks Pollyanna. How about a Bridging Visa? Is that automatically granted when you apply for the Spouse Visa and does this allow you to work?

Thanks.
If you are applying while holding another visa - eg if you arrived on a tourist visa or WHV - then you will be granted a Bridging Visa as soon as you apply, BUT that Bridging Visa doesn't kick in until your substantive visa expires.

So if you are on a WHV for instance, then the Bridging Visa doesn't come into effect until the end of the 12 months visa.

Once you are on the Bridging Visa, you do have full working rights.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 10:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

18-24 months at the moment is the average. Five weeks is likely to be before the equalisation of onshore and offshore visa fees. Applying offshore for partner visas is now generally much quicker.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks. I am on a Tourist Visa. So i will put my Application for a Spouse Visa in just before the Tourist Visa expires, then the Bridging Visa will take effect once it's expired.

I have my own business and I have had to completely shut down operations. I need to get things up and running again as quickly as possible.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
18-24 months at the moment is the average. Five weeks is likely to be before the equalisation of onshore and offshore visa fees. Applying offshore for partner visas is now generally much quicker.
Is anyone getting work rights added to bridging visas if they are taking that long?
Old Aug 4th 2017, 4:17 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Robbo25
Is anyone getting work rights added to bridging visas if they are taking that long?
If you apply onshore for a Partner Visa, then as soon as the Bridging Visa kicks in you automatically have full working rights.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

If you apply onshore for a Partner Visa, then as soon as the Bridging Visa kicks in you automatically have full working rights.

Ah, nope I can state for a fact that isn't right as my partner has the business visitor only condition on hers
Old Aug 4th 2017, 6:44 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, nope I can state for a fact that isn't right as my partner has the business visitor only condition on hers
That doesn't sound right. What visa was your partner on before she applied for her 820?
Old Aug 4th 2017, 9:47 am
Home and Happy

Then she should query it with DIBP, assuming she is on a BVA. Once a person has applied for a Partner Visa, and the bridging Visa A associated with that has come into effect, that person gets full working rights. it was introduced a few years back, maybe around 2010 from memory, and is different from most other Bridging Visas.

Edited to add - see this piece from Go MAtilda on the subject
http://www.gm-partner-visas.com/part...ing-australia/

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 4th 2017 at 9:50 am.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

She came in on a visitor visa, therefore the Bridging visa grants the same rights as the visa you were on when you applied.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 10:20 am
Home and Happy

She came in on a visitor visa, therefore the Bridging visa grants the same rights as the visa you were on when you applied.
Unless the visa she has applied for is a Partner Visa - 820/801 - in which case she gets full working rights (see my link above to the Go Matilda website) once her visitor visa expires and the BVA kicks in.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Unless the visa she has applied for is a Partner Visa - 820/801 - in which case she gets full working rights (see my link above to the Go Matilda website) once her visitor visa expires and the BVA kicks in.
This is a 461,so something a little different but still a BVA.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 12:00 pm
Home and Happy

This is a 461,so something a little different but still a BVA.
Its not bridging to a Spouse Vis 820/801 though That is why she doesn't have work rights.

As I have said throughout the thread, which is about Spouse/Partner Visas, if you are on a BVA, bridging to an 820/801, then you get full working rights. this only happens automatically with the Spouse Visa 820/801.

A 461 is not a Spouse or Partner Visa. Its a Special Category Visa for the family of NZ citizens, a totally different class. For full work rights on that you will need to apply to DIBP.

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 5th 2017 at 12:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.