Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Parents receive Standard Tourist visa instead of "Parents Long Stay Tourist Visa".

Parents receive Standard Tourist visa instead of "Parents Long Stay Tourist Visa".

Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

itprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant future
Default Parents receive Standard Tourist visa instead of "Parents Long Stay Tourist Visa".

Hi all,

I had applied for my parents visit visa under "Long Stay Tourist Visa for Parents (for 18months)" but my parents got standard tourist visa for 6 months.

I tried to contact my parent's country's Australian embassy via email but has not got any response from them in this regards.

Any suggestions what should I do please in this regard would be highly appreciable.

really obliged.

Umar Farooq.

Last edited by itprofessional; Apr 4th 2013 at 2:18 am.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 5:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents receive Standard Tourist visa instead of "Parents Long Stay Tourist Visa"

Originally Posted by itprofessional
Hi all,

I had applied for my parents visit visa under "Long Stay Tourist Visa for Parents (for 18months)" but my parents got standard tourist visa for 6 months.

I tried to contact my parent's country's Australian embassy via email but has not got any response from them in this regards.

Any suggestions what should I do please in this regard would be highly appreciable.

really obliged.

Umar Farooq.
You may well find that they will not discuss it with you because it is not YOUR visa. Your parents should try contacting them.

were your parents actually eligible for the longer visa?

Also be aware that the tourist visas have been changed recently. http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/visitor/600/
Old Apr 4th 2013, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

itprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant futureitprofessional has a brilliant future
Default Re: Parents receive Standard Tourist visa instead of "Parents Long Stay Tourist Visa"

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You may well find that they will not discuss it with you because it is not YOUR visa. Your parents should try contacting them.

were your parents actually eligible for the longer visa?

Also be aware that the tourist visas have been changed recently. http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/visitor/600/
Yes Pollyana,

My parents are eligible for longer parents tourist stay as I am on PR and my parents are coming for the first time hence they come under category 3 for longer stay of parents tourist visa i.e
18 months for parents who have:
not previously travelled to Australia; and
have not applied for a Parent visa; or
have applied for a Parent (subclass 103) visa but are not yet in the Parent visa queue.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/parents-longer-tourist-visa.htm
Hence they are well eligible for 18 months visa.

Regarding Visa class change, they had applied before this change, i.e in February under 676 visa sub-class.

Kindly give some suggestions, I will be really obliged for it.

regards,

Umar Farooq.

Last edited by itprofessional; Apr 4th 2013 at 6:53 am.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 6:56 am
uzi
Java Dweeb

uzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud of

It is considered on case-by-case basis and as such immi is not obliged to issue 18 months multiple entry visa to all applicants.

Good luck.

Usman
Old Apr 4th 2013, 7:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Pollyana,

My parents are eligible for longer parents tourist stay as I am on PR and my parents are coming for the first time hence they come under category 3 for longer stay of parents tourist visa i.e

Hence they are well eligible for 18 months visa.

Regarding Visa class change, they had applied before this change, i.e in February under 676 visa sub-class.

Kindly give some suggestions, I will be really obliged for it.

regards,

Umar Farooq.
I have given you suggestions includi8ng that it is THEIR visas under discussion so THEY need to speak tio DIAc unless they have nominated you as their representative.
If DIAC do not want to grant them the full visa time then they won't. They don;t have to - the time granted is UP TO a certain timelimit.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I have given you suggestions includi8ng that it is THEIR visas under discussion so THEY need to speak tio DIAc unless they have nominated you as their representative.
If DIAC do not want to grant them the full visa time then they won't. They don;t have to - the time granted is UP TO a certain timelimit.
Being thier son, Yes they have nominated me ... as they are not capable enough to discuss this matter with DIAC or Australian embassy.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:49 am
uzi
Java Dweeb

uzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud ofuzi has much to be proud of

Being thier son, Yes they have nominated me ... as they are not capable enough to discuss this matter with DIAC or Australian embassy.
Usually this is suppose to be in writing if I am not mistaken, anyways, following link mentions why there is no guarantee for getting an 18 months visa:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tour...bligations.htm

Visa validity

You may be granted a Tourist visa for:

a stay of up to 12 months, or a shorter period, depending on the purpose of the visit and your personal circumstances a single entry or multiple entries to Australia.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by uzi
Usually this is suppose to be in writing if I am not mistaken, anyways, following link mentions why there is no guarantee for getting an 18 months visa:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tour...bligations.htm
Dear Uzi,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Actually the point you are raising is basically for a standard tourist visa and not for "Longer stay Parent tourist Visa".

Kindly check this below link:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tour...urist-visa.htm
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:46 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Uzi,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Actually the point you are raising is basically for a standard tourist visa and not for "Longer stay Parent tourist Visa".

Kindly check this below link:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tour...urist-visa.htm
If you look at the link that you have provided, it says:

Multiple entry visas with a maximum stay of 12 months will be considered on a case-by-case basis with maximum validity periods of up to:
So it's not a guaranteed thing that any applicant will receive the 18 month visa. There have been plenty of people who have applied for the twelve month visas & received less than they'd hoped for.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
If you look at the link that you have provided, it says:

So it's not a guaranteed thing that any applicant will receive the 18 month visa. There have been plenty of people who have applied for the twelve month visas & received less than they'd hoped for.
Thank you very much for your reply,

I completely understand what you are saying but I feel you have not read the complete statement (I feel, kindly dont mind).

It says completely like this:

[QUOTE]
Multiple entry visas with a maximum stay of 12 months will be considered on a case- by-case basis with maximum validity periods of up to:

five years for parents outside Australia and in the Parent (subclass103) visa queue
three years for parents outside Australia who have:
had a previous Australian visa and complied with the conditions; and
have applied for a Parent (subclass 103) visa but are not yet in the Parent visa queue
have applied for a Parent (subclass 103) visa but are not yet in the Parent visa queue.
Longer Tourist visas described above will also be considered for step parents and eligible New Zealand citizens.

[\QUOTE]

so it means "case by case basis" term here means 3 cases i.e 5 year, 3 year or 1.5 year.

Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:02 am

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for your reply,

I completely understand what you are saying but I feel you have not read the complete statement (I feel, kindly dont mind).

It says completely like this:

Multiple entry visas with a maximum stay of 12 months will be considered on a case- by-case basis with maximum validity periods of up to:

five years for parents outside Australia and in the Parent (subclass103) visa queue
three years for parents outside Australia who have:
had a previous Australian visa and complied with the conditions; and
have applied for a Parent (subclass 103) visa but are not yet in the Parent visa queue
Longer Tourist visas described above will also be considered for step parents and eligible New Zealand citizens.

[\QUOTE]

so it means "case by case basis" term here means 3 cases i.e 5 year, 3 year or 1.6 year.

Regards,
I have read the entire statement. Just because I disagree with your interpretation of it, doesn't mean I haven't understood it. DIAC don't have to grant anyone the full length that they request. Your parents weren't granted the 18 months - whether they (or you) like it or not, that is just how it is.

You have stated that they are "not capable enough of dealing with this matter or DIAC or the Australian embassy". Have you considered that DIAC may be concerned that they may not meet the health requirement?

Last edited by mrsgreenstar76; Apr 8th 2013 at 4:22 am. Reason: Fixing quotes.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
You have stated that they are "not capable enough of dealing with this matter or DIAC or the Australian embassy". Have you considered that DIAC may be concerned that they may not meet the health requirement?
MrsGreenStar76, I have not mentioned any where that they are not capable on the basis of HEALTH. What I mean is talking on the basis of their experience in communicating at such level.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:21 am

MrsGreenStar76, I have not mentioned any where that they are not capable on the basis of HEALTH. What I mean is talking on the basis of their experience in communicating at such level.
I never said that you said it about health, I quoted you as is. In any case, I asked "have you considered...?". A question, not a statement.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

so it means "case by case basis" term here means 3 cases i.e 5 year, 3 year or 1.5 year.

Regards,
Don't agree with your interpretation here. The criteria for getting 'up to' 5 years, 3 years or 1.5 years is clearly documented in your quote. There's no flexibility involved and so the 'case by case' term cannot apply here. Eg Only parents in the 103 visa queue will get 'up to' 5 years, only parents who have been before will get 'up to' 3 years, the rest will get 'up to' 18 months.

You seemed to have missed the importance of the 'up to' in the documentation. I think it explains everything..
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

The period of visa grant is up to the individual Case Officers discretion. Policy requires them to consider each application on a case-by-case basis and to take a number of factors into consideration when deciding the duration for which they will grant the visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.