Parent visas - Oh god what a mess

Old Apr 10th 2016, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

mabarlow69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parent visas - Oh god what a mess

G'day,

i was looking at my options of getting my mum down on a residency scheme. The immigration site has done a awesome job in confusing people to the fullest

Let me set the scene:

1) I'm a perm resident living with my family here for the last 6 years.
2) Mum 73yrs.
3) I'm the only child in the family.
4) My father passed away mid last year and mum lives by herself.
5) There isn't anyone else apart from my mother to be included in the application.

What do i need ?

1) I need to get my mum down asap. She, doesn't think it's feasible to come on visits and spend time with us with her age and taking the arduous air travel.
2) She doesn't qualify for the reciprocal medicare arrangement. We still need her to be covered under Medicare ( not centerlink ) if she needs to seek medical attention.
3) What's the type of visa i should be looking at. like
143 ( 2 yrs is a long time )
173 -- > 143 ?
173 -- > 884 ?

What would be the totals costs associated in the contributory visas.

I feel really stressed with this as there isn't an eminent answer.

Yes, we are looking at forking some money out from selling off the family home.

Cheers
MB
Old Apr 10th 2016, 12:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parent visas - Oh god what a mess

Originally Posted by mabarlow69
G'day,

i was looking at my options of getting my mum down on a residency scheme. The immigration site has done a awesome job in confusing people to the fullest

Let me set the scene:

1) I'm a perm resident living with my family here for the last 6 years.
2) Mum 73yrs.
3) I'm the only child in the family.
4) My father passed away mid last year and mum lives by herself.
5) There isn't anyone else apart from my mother to be included in the application.

What do i need ?

1) I need to get my mum down asap. She, doesn't think it's feasible to come on visits and spend time with us with her age and taking the arduous air travel.
2) She doesn't qualify for the reciprocal medicare arrangement. We still need her to be covered under Medicare ( not centerlink ) if she needs to seek medical attention.
3) What's the type of visa i should be looking at. like
143 ( 2 yrs is a long time )
173 -- > 143 ?
173 -- > 884 ?

What would be the totals costs associated in the contributory visas.

I feel really stressed with this as there isn't an eminent answer.

Yes, we are looking at forking some money out from selling off the family home.

Cheers
MB
I am no expert on Parent vsas, but the usual route for someone with a parent in your circumstances is the 173 followed by the 143

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/173-

This is a temporary visa that lets you and your family:

live in Australia for two years
work and study in Australia
enrol in Medicare Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
travel to and from Australia for two years from the date the visa is granted.
This visa cannot be extended or renewed.
If you are granted this visa, you will have two years to apply for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).

For the 143 see here - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/143-
Old Apr 10th 2016, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I am no expert on Parent vsas, but the usual route for someone with a parent in your circumstances is the 173 followed by the 143

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/173-

This is a temporary visa that lets you and your family:

live in Australia for two years
work and study in Australia
enrol in Medicare Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
travel to and from Australia for two years from the date the visa is granted.
This visa cannot be extended or renewed.
If you are granted this visa, you will have two years to apply for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).

For the 143 see here - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/143-
Pollyana thanks for your reply. Please correct me if i'm wrong, If i take the 173 --> 143 path will the cost be A$ 29k ( 173 ) + A$ 43K ( 143 ) ?.

Do you folks think the immi call centre will be able to give me reasonable answers. I doubt, happy to call them up and ask though :|

cheers
MB
Old Apr 10th 2016, 1:18 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana thanks for your reply. Please correct me if i'm wrong, If i take the 173 --> 143 path will the cost be A$ 29k ( 173 ) + A$ 43K ( 143 ) ?.

Do you folks think the immi call centre will be able to give me reasonable answers. I doubt, happy to call them up and ask though :|

cheers
MB
No, the DIBP call centre is not there to give you advice. If you want visa advice you need to speak to a MARA registered migration agent. The call centre is staffed with call centre staff, not migration agents.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

There is no requirement to do the temporary parent visa first. You could just go for the permanent one, the cost is about $50k or so.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

G'day shorts,

Thanks for the reply. Why i was thinking about the temp one was for the reason of it (173 ) being comparatively faster than 143 ( something i thought ).

Hmm, i'm puzzled. Do you know what the processing times are like for the each of the categories ? 143 and 173 ?

Cheers
MB
Old Apr 10th 2016, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

G'day shorts,

Thanks for the reply. Why i was thinking about the temp one was for the reason of it (173 ) being comparatively faster than 143 ( something i thought ).

Hmm, i'm puzzled. Do you know what the processing times are like for the each of the categories ? 143 and 173 ?

Cheers
MB
I wasn't aware of it being any faster, I thought people choose this route more to spread the cost than to achieve a better processing speed. I have not looked into it in detail though, you can check estimated processing times on the immigration website.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 7:12 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/...ent-visa-queue - Processing time guide for Parent visas
Old Apr 10th 2016, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
There is no requirement to do the temporary parent visa first. You could just go for the permanent one, the cost is about $50k or so.
Am I reading this correctly?

The cost for a parent visa to emigrate to Australia is Australian Dollar 50K - 25K in British pounds?

Is this just for the visa application and processing?
Old Apr 10th 2016, 11:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Am I reading this correctly?

The cost for a parent visa to emigrate to Australia is Australian Dollar 50K - 25K in British pounds?

Is this just for the visa application and processing?
Yes.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

If your mother was onshore at some point and wanted to apply, you might also consider the onshore parent visa which would enable her to remain onshore whilst it is being processed.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeeTMI
If your mother was onshore at some point and wanted to apply, you might also consider the onshore parent visa which would enable her to remain onshore whilst it is being processed.
But, on a bridging visa she would not get medicare as she is not entitled to reciprocal. A couple of years without healthcare for a 73 year old is maybe not good
Old Apr 11th 2016, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Blooming heck! just looked at the OZ immigration site and the waiting time for a NON contributory parent visa is 30 YEARS. ( A friend of ours was looking to go live out her time with her only daughter in Melbourne but no longer has the assets required for a contributory visa - she would be 110 yrs old before she had a chance of getting there!)
Old Apr 24th 2016, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for all the replies. Any changes looming that you are aware of during June / July period ?
ta
Old Apr 24th 2016, 12:43 pm
Home and Happy

Thanks again for all the replies. Any changes looming that you are aware of during June / July period ?
ta
1st July is the start of the new 'visa year'. There are usually some changes - often big ones - and increases in fees. Sometimes the details are put out in advance, sometimes not. Over the time I've been involved with immigration matters I've come to know that DIBP frequently make huge changes overnight with no warning, so don't assume that what holds true now will remain that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.