NZ fiancee visa?

Old Feb 9th 2001, 6:02 am
Edward

After weighing up the idea of getting married in the USA then returning to NZ my American
fiancee and I have decided it will most likely be easier if we get married in NZ.

However I've just come to the conclusion that I haven't the slightest idea on how or where
to start off on getting all the paper work sorted, and was hoping that someone here would
be able to help.

First of all, I can't seem to find any mention of a visa that allows a fiancee into the
country for the purpose of getting married anywhere on the NZ immigration website. I was
pretty sure there was a visa like that, or was I imagining it? Could someone point me in
the right direction?

Also, is it worth doing all the paperwork ones self or is hiring an immigration consultant
the way to go?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Edward.

Old Feb 9th 2001, 1:21 pm
cathrox

After weighing up the idea of getting married in the USA then
>returning to NZ my American fiancee and I have decided it will most likely be easier if
>we get married in NZ.
>
>However I've just come to the conclusion that I haven't the slightest idea on how or
>where to start off on getting all the paper work sorted, and was hoping that someone here
>would be able to help.
>
>First of all, I can't seem to find any mention of a visa that allows a fiancee into the
>country for the purpose of getting married anywhere on the NZ immigration website. I was
>pretty sure there was a visa like that, or was I imagining it? Could someone point me in
>the right direction?
>
>Also, is it worth doing all the paperwork ones self or is hiring an immigration
>consultant the way to go?
>
>Any help on this would be appreciated.
>
>
>Edward.
>
>
Use the telephone and phone NZIS - simple

Cath

Old Feb 9th 2001, 4:39 pm
FinalJustyce

After weighing up the idea of getting married in the USA then
> returning to NZ my American fiancee and I have decided it will most likely be easier if
> we get married in NZ.
>
> However I've just come to the conclusion that I haven't the slightest idea on how or
> where to start off on getting all the paper work sorted, and was hoping that someone
> here would be able to help.
>
> First of all, I can't seem to find any mention of a visa that allows a fiancee into the
> country for the purpose of getting married anywhere on the NZ immigration website. I was
> pretty sure there was a visa like that, or was I imagining it? Could someone point me in
> the right direction?
>
> Also, is it worth doing all the paperwork ones self or is hiring an immigration
> consultant the way to go?
>
> Any help on this would be appreciated.
>
>
> Edward.
>
>

The work permit application form is the form used for the fiancé visa. You can download it
from the embassy site at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/forms/ Edward, where are you
located here in the US? Where you are decides where you file your application and all
supporting documentation.

Diane

Old Feb 10th 2001, 7:36 am
Edward

in message

>> After weighing up the idea of getting married in the USA then returning to NZ my
>> American fiancee and I have decided it will most likely be easier if we get
>> married in NZ.
>>
>> However I've just come to the conclusion that I haven't the slightest idea on how or
>> where to start off on getting all the paper work sorted, and was hoping that someone
>> here would be able to help.
>>
>> First of all, I can't seem to find any mention of a visa that allows a fiancee into the
>> country for the purpose of getting married anywhere on the NZ immigration website. I
>> was pretty sure there was a visa like that, or was I imagining it? Could someone point
>> me in the right direction?
>>
>> Also, is it worth doing all the paperwork ones self or is hiring an immigration
>> consultant the way to go?
>>
>> Any help on this would be appreciated.
>>
>>
>> Edward.
>>
>>
>
>The work permit application form is the form used for the fiancé visa. You can download
>it from the embassy site at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/forms/ Edward, where are you
>located here in the US? Where you are decides where you file your application and all
>supporting documentation.
>
>
>Diane

Thanks for the info, I'm actually in NZ at the time however my fiancee is in California.
Does to fact that it is a work permit application form mean you need to meet the
requirements of a work permit as well?

Edward.

Old Feb 10th 2001, 8:04 pm
FinalJustyce

<snip> >
> >The work permit application form is the form used for the fiancé visa.
You
> >can download it from the embassy site at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/forms/ Edward,
> >where are you located here
in
> >the US? Where you are decides where you file your application and all supporting
> >documentation.
> >
> >
> >Diane
>
> Thanks for the info, I'm actually in NZ at the time however my fiancee is in California.
> Does to fact that it is a work permit application form mean you need to meet the
> requirements of a work permit as well?
>
> Edward.

No, you will end up leaving about 1/2 the form blank. I actually sat on the phone with the
visa officer asking about specific lines and whether or not to leave them blank. Your
evidence will be different as well. The info below is from
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/search/, with a search done on "fiancé". I'm presuming here
that since your fiancée is in CA, she's the American. If so, she'll file her application
with the NZ Consulate in LA, but I don't have the address right off hand. Application fees
are waived for applicants from the US. She'll need to send in her passport, a
passport-sized photo, the evidence and the application, all together. Also, best to send
via courier (FedEx, Aireborne), with a return packet (label AND envelope), unless she is
in LA and go down there herself. There is a line to mark on the application as to whether
she wants the stuff mailed back to her or if she plans on picking it up, but I don't know
how pick-up works. DC isn't an easy drive from Fla. <g>

"V3.35 Entry to New Zealand for the purpose of marriage See V3.35 Effective 26/07/9

People intending to marry New Zealand citizens or residents in New Zealand may be issued
with a visitor's visa authorising a permit for a maximum stay of 9 months from their date
of arrival, provided that: the couple genuinely intend to marry within 9 months of the
applicant's arrival in New Zealand, and it is intended that the marriage will be
maintained on a long term and exclusive basis, and the New Zealand resident or citizen
they intend to marry expects to be in New Zealand for the same period of time applied for
by the applicant, and the New Zealand resident or citizen they intend to marry supports
the application, and there is no legal impediment to the intended marriage. If the initial
permit is current for less than 9 months, a further permit may be granted for up to 9
months from the date of arrival in New Zealand. If applicants are already in New Zealand
when applying, the permit will be current for a maximum of 9 months from their date of
arrival in New Zealand.
Note: The applicant does not require an outward ticket if the New Zealand citizen or
resident they intend to marry or another New Zealand citizen or resident formally
sponsors the applicant using the relevant NZIS sponsorship form, and if this
sponsorship includes a guarantee of repatriation.

Applicants whose initial permit is current for less than 9 months: must apply for a
further permit before the initial permit expires, and are eligible for a maximum stay of
only 9 months from the date of their arrival in New Zealand, unless they apply for
residence after their marriage.
V3.35.1 Evidence for people intending to marry New Zealand citizens or residents

Visa or immigration officers must establish (through interview and/or documentary
evidence), and be satisfied that: there is a genuine intent to marry and that it is
intended the marriage be maintained on a long term and exclusive basis, and the person the
applicant intends to marry in New Zealand is a New Zealand citizen or resident, and the
couple intend to marry within 9 months of the applicant's arrival in New Zealand, and the
applicant has provided evidence of support in writing from the New Zealand citizen or
resident they intend to marry, and in the event the marriage does not take place the
applicant will leave New Zealand. Evidence that there is genuine intent to marry may
include, but is not limited to original or certified copies of documents showing: evidence
of communication between the couple photos of the couple together documents indicating
public recognition of the relationship If the parties to the proposed marriage have not
met and/or have had no or only limited direct contact with each other the application
should not automatically be declined. Instead visa and immigration officers should take
into account whether or not such lack of contact is consistent with the cultural
background of the parties to the proposed marriage. In such cases applicants may be able
to demonstrate that there is genuine intent to marry in New Zealand by supplying evidence
of any specific arrangements and/or ceremonies which have been carried out. Such evidence
may include but is not limited to: communication between the parents of the couple and/or
a person acting as a go-between or matchmaker other documents indicating public
recognition of the arrangement and/or ceremony confirmation from independent sources that
such arrangements and/or ceremonies are in accordance with the cultural custom of the
parties concerned. "

Diane