Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Nursing Registration: applicants must present within three months

Nursing Registration: applicants must present within three months

Old Feb 19th 2017, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Coopersr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nursing Registration: applicants must present within three months

This is the response from AHPRA
Hi Lauren,

This is correct, I require evidence of your Australian residential address, and a statutory declaration for your verification and international criminal history check. These statutory declarations can be completed in the office.

AHPRA is unable to accept a statement from a friend. The easiest option for submitting a category D document would be an Australian Bank statement confirming your Australian address. Bank statements can be issued in person at the bank.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

steven9818 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If your occupation is on the SOL, I think he can sponsor you for a 489. This is also a temporary visa, but with a defined path to PR. Unfortunately it also has the requirement that you live and work in a listed regional area.

PR after the age of 50 is difficult though so if you can reach the required points for a PR visa once you have some Australian experience that might be the best bet,
I am a nurse so hopefully I will stay on the skilled worker list. I have discussed this with a friend who moved to Aus 2 yrs ago and is also a nurse. His employer sponsored him and he started the process of PR straight away so that's the plan for me.

Thanks for the reply
Old Feb 20th 2017, 8:27 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

489 is the next best thing, but always try to explore the possibility of a permanent skilled visa first (190 or 189). The skilled permanent route gives you the most freedom. you are not tied to an employer, specific postcode or to an occupation.

Regards,

Richard
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

lozzie123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask when we collect our "in principle" registration in person, how long will it take until we can walk away with our full registration? I will be going to Australia on a fleeting visit solely to collect my registration and want to be in the country for a small amount of time as possible and of course am booking return flights in advance to save money. Can we collect it and walk out with it on the same day?

Many thanks

Lauren
Old Mar 6th 2017, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

valeche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Richard_Gregan
hmm, well if you got your AHPRA registration then you could apply for a modified assessment, which is cheaper, but not necessarily quicker - current processing time for all assessments is 8 weeks (down from 12).

However, as stated, you would need to fly to Australia to activate it, then apply for a modified skills assessment, then apply for a 457, assuming you still want to go for the 457 option.

To take advantage of the ANMAC modified assessment route, your AHPRA registration *must* be activated - you can't just use an Approval-In-Principle letter - so I would only consider this route if you are prepared to fly to Australia to activate it. Once activated, you still need to apply for a modified assessment, and be approved prior to the lodgement of any 457 visa.

Of course, with full AHPRA registration then you could look at employer sponsorship but that's a different option, which has its own pros and cons (e.g. being tied to a particular employer).

Invaluable information in this thread. Many thanks, Richard.

Could you explain a bit more on the modified assessment route? I haven't heard of this.

My situation is:
Experienced senior midwife too afraid to go out on sponsorship in case I hate it or want to leave after 6 months.
(UK) agencies I've been dealing with advise AHPRA must be the absolute first step which I've literally just sat down to do/get all the documents together/approved as this is a lengthy process.
Original thought was to come out on a working holiday visa (I'm 29) but now exploring independent skilled worker visa (189) Think I have 75 points. I was originally put off the 189 because a) it's pricey compared to working holiday and b) I'm unsure of the restrictions in place: ie. am I free to work on a casual/agency type basis instead of a full time set contract (my hope is to be based in Sydney for example but be free to go and explore other states for a week or so at a time on occasion.) Also what would happen if I decided to leave after 3-6 months on the 189 visa?

In all honesty I don't see myself staying longer than a year so this is why I thought maybe working holiday visa may be preferable.

Many thanks
Old Mar 6th 2017, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

valeche is an unknown quantity at this point

Lauren- noted this on my application, too! What have you done about it? I have a friend's address who I could use, I suppose but it's not even in the state I intend to live in! The two things on the application that threw me were the Australian address and prospective employers details
Old Mar 6th 2017, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

489 is the next best thing, but always try to explore the possibility of a permanent skilled visa first (190 or 189). The skilled permanent route gives you the most freedom. you are not tied to an employer, specific postcode or to an occupation.

Regards,

Richard

Cheers for the reply Richard. I'll get my 3 month probation over first and then look into it. Ideally my employer will support PR as I really want to avoid IELTS if I can!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valeche
Invaluable information in this thread. Many thanks, Richard.

Could you explain a bit more on the modified assessment route? I haven't heard of this.

My situation is:
Experienced senior midwife too afraid to go out on sponsorship in case I hate it or want to leave after 6 months.
(UK) agencies I've been dealing with advise AHPRA must be the absolute first step which I've literally just sat down to do/get all the documents together/approved as this is a lengthy process.
Original thought was to come out on a working holiday visa (I'm 29) but now exploring independent skilled worker visa (189) Think I have 75 points. I was originally put off the 189 because a) it's pricey compared to working holiday and b) I'm unsure of the restrictions in place: ie. am I free to work on a casual/agency type basis instead of a full time set contract (my hope is to be based in Sydney for example but be free to go and explore other states for a week or so at a time on occasion.) Also what would happen if I decided to leave after 3-6 months on the 189 visa?

In all honesty I don't see myself staying longer than a year so this is why I thought maybe working holiday visa may be preferable.

Many thanks
On a 189 you can work for who you like where you like, agency or direct employment, doesn't matter.
And if you leave the country, thats fine, there are no restrictions on travel on a 189. However the travel portion expires after 5 years - you need to look at RRVs and citizenship if you want to return after that, and if you have only spent 3-6 months here you may not qualify for a RRV so the visa would no longer be valid.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 9:50 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

Valeche,

I don't see why AHPRA registration should be the priority if you don't want to apply for employer sponsorship.

If you are looking at a permanent skilled visa, which is what you should always aim for if you can, then you need an ANMAC skills assessment first. You can apply for AHPRA registration later, once your visa is lodged.

The idea of applying for AHPRA registration first, which would then involve flying to Australia to activate it, doesn't seem viable, especially with the news that AHPRA seem to be making the requirement for a specific Australian address mandatory, according to recent applicant reports.

Just to clarify for others, ANMAC and AHPRA are not the same.

Regards,

Richard
Old Mar 9th 2017, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

So what exactly is the difference between a 189 and a 190? Looking at the immigration website I cannot spot an obvious difference. Or am I being dim!
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:25 pm

A 189 is a fully independent skilled visa, meaning you can live and work anywhere.

A 190 is a state sponsored visa, meaning that you are morally obligated to reside in your chosen state for a specified time.

Both visas are permanent. The fact that you get more points for a 190 can make it a good option.

Regards,

Richard
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

A 189 is a fully independent skilled visa, meaning you can live and work anywhere.

A 190 is a state sponsored visa, meaning that you are morally obligated to reside in your chosen state for a specified time.

Both visas are permanent. The fact that you get more points for a 190 can make it a good option.

Regards,

Richard
Thank you for clearing that up Richard.

So am I correct in assuming that if I want PR I would need to apply for a 190 once in Australia? I will be travelling on a 457 initially and once I have 12 months in Australia I will have 60 points (assuming I get 20 points for IELTS).

Steven
Old Mar 10th 2017, 9:57 am

Certainly, as soon as you meet points requirements for a permanent skilled visa (189/190) then you will want to get this underway - this can be done onshore.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Certainly, as soon as you meet points requirements for a permanent skilled visa (189/190) then you will want to get this underway - this can be done onshore.
Thank you again Richard. I think a points based system is a reasonably fair way of assessing however I find it odd that I can apply for a 189/190 aged over 45 yet get no points for being over 45!
Old Sep 8th 2017, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Emmaaky is an unknown quantity at this point

For the 12 weeks you have to register do you need to be eligible to work or can you go over get registered and then that's you registered as a nurse in Australia? I could then continue to save up and go when more ready but maybe you need to be ready to work the day you register with ahpra 😐

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.