Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Nursing Registration: applicants must present within three months

Nursing Registration: applicants must present within three months

Old Feb 11th 2017, 8:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing Registration: applicants must present within three months

Originally Posted by steven9818
I went down the 457 route due to lack of points (I am 48 and that gets me zero points!) after securing a nursing job in Queensland. I also needed notarised documents for the 457 so if you are planning on sponsorship make sure that you get an extra certified passport/wedding certificate too.

Out of interest, I fly to Australia in April. Will I be able to apply for residency immediately?
If you mean permanent residency, you can apply as soon as you are eligible. If you have enough points you can apply now.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

steven9818 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I am looking at permanent residency. By eligible do you mean as soon as you have the 457?
Old Feb 11th 2017, 9:21 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am looking at permanent residency. By eligible do you mean as soon as you have the 457?
No, if you meet all the requirements for PR you don't need to have a 457. If you qualify for a 189 or 190 that is better than a 457 (especially at your age) gives you PR straight away.
However if the only way you can qualify is by doing 2 years on a 457 then getting a 186 by the transition route, you will hae to do two years first then hope your employer will sponsor.

Did you not look into getting a 189 or 190 before going for the temporary 457?
Old Feb 11th 2017, 9:29 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The 457 is a temporary visa with no pathway to PR. If you do not have enough points for an independent PR application there are not many options - possibly you could persuade your employer to sponsor you for ENS.

The reality is that not everyone on a 457 has a path to PR, and for many people it will be a temporary move only. If you are unlucky enough to lose your job, you only have 60 days to find another employer willing (and able) to sponsor you or you have to leave.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No, if you meet all the requirements for PR you don't need to have a 457. If you qualify for a 189 or 190 that is better than a 457 (especially at your age) gives you PR straight away.
However if the only way you can qualify is by doing 2 years on a 457 then getting a 186 by the transition route, you will hae to do two years first then hope your employer will sponsor.

Did you not look into getting a 189 or 190 before going for the temporary 457?
Yes, I looked into the other visas but even with 20 yrs experience and a Masters, plus with full marks on IELTS I still only had 55 points as my age gave me zero points.

Hopefully my employers will sponsor my application as they are taking me on with a view to taking over the management of the team at the end of this year.

Thanks for the clarification
Old Feb 11th 2017, 4:00 pm
Home and Happy

Yes, I looked into the other visas but even with 20 yrs experience and a Masters, plus with full marks on IELTS I still only had 55 points as my age gave me zero points.

Hopefully my employers will sponsor my application as they are taking me on with a view to taking over the management of the team at the end of this year.

So if they will sponsor you as a 186 in the transition stream you need 2 years employment with them on a 457 first. Many employers fail to keep to their end of the bargain but being in nursing you might be lucky
Old Feb 11th 2017, 10:36 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

1 year of work experience in Australia is worth 5 points so if you can get to 55 now, you might be able to apply for skilled visa in a years time. Perhaps have a chat with a MARA agent who can check options available
Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for all of the replies. I will look into it once I am out there. Hopefully my employer will support me. If not, I'll be back in 4 yrs!

My wife's brother is British but has an Australian passport. Would we be able to use him as a sponsor or for extra points?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 9:15 am

Thank you for all of the replies. I will look into it once I am out there. Hopefully my employer will support me. If not, I'll be back in 4 yrs!

My wife's brother is British but has an Australian passport. Would we be able to use him as a sponsor or for extra points?
If your occupation is on the SOL, I think he can sponsor you for a 489. This is also a temporary visa, but with a defined path to PR. Unfortunately it also has the requirement that you live and work in a listed regional area.

PR after the age of 50 is difficult though so if you can reach the required points for a PR visa once you have some Australian experience that might be the best bet,
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Coopersr6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I have my in principle
I would like to fly out verify iD
But struggling in a requirement for a residential address can I use my friends
What evidence do I need to prooves in living there
Also how do I get a statement from a prospective employer
As I won't have a job offer ?
I'm hoping to permanently go in August
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:16 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

The residential address doesn't matter. The forms were never really designed for off-shore applicants. You can leave it blank.

Richard
Old Feb 14th 2017, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi it's not on a form they've said they want proof of Australian residential
Address and a job offer or statement from a prospective employer which seems impossible before you go
Old Feb 15th 2017, 1:20 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Coopersr6
Hi it's not on a form they've said they want proof of Australian residential
Address and a job offer or statement from a prospective employer which seems impossible before you go
That makes no sense, you don't need a job offer in order to register wth AHPRA. You can register without having a job lined up at all,and many people register before they even make contact with prospective employers.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Hi went back and read it it's proof of Australian address or statement from prospective employer or job offer 👍
Old Feb 15th 2017, 1:24 pm

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

AHPRA have never wanted *proof* of an Australian address in order to register. Unless this is something new of course...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.