Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Northern Ireland citizen DESPERATE to move to australia

Northern Ireland citizen DESPERATE to move to australia

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

madpoison is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Northern Ireland citizen DESPERATE to move to australia

Hi guys!! Just firstly to say I think this website is great and would deffinately reccomend it!! Okay so now down to the boring parts.. basically I live in Northern Ireland,the troubled land, im 18 years old,and desperate to move to australia, I only have my GCSE's and skills in the catering industry as a chef/bar man/waiter and security personel. I also volunteer for st. johns ambulance as a cycle responder. I Have no idea about visas or moving to another country etc so any advice would be incredibly welcomed and appreciated! thanks. Alex
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

foster1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Northern Ireland citizen DESPERATE to move to australia

why dont u try going over on a years working holiday visa this allows you to work and travel and the same time, this year may enable you to find other routes and contacts that may lead down a further paths to stay in australia. just an option hope its helped
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by foster1989
why dont u try going over on a years working holiday visa this allows you to work and travel and the same time, this year may enable you to find other routes and contacts that may lead down a further paths to stay in australia. just an option hope its helped
do you know the requirements for this visa?
and yes this has helped
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

im not a pro on all this but when i did one i just applied/payed for visa and it was granted then just out for a while...http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/ that all u need to know mate hope it helped again
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by madpoison

do you know the requirements for this visa?
and yes this has helped
Hi - have you checke out the Australian Immigration website?

Here's the link - take a look at the visa section......http://www.immi.gov.au/
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys!! Just firstly to say I think this website is great and would deffinately reccomend it!! Okay so now down to the boring parts.. basically I live in Northern Ireland,the troubled land, im 18 years old,and desperate to move to australia, I only have my GCSE's and skills in the catering industry as a chef/bar man/waiter and security personel. I also volunteer for st. johns ambulance as a cycle responder. I Have no idea about visas or moving to another country etc so any advice would be incredibly welcomed and appreciated! thanks. Alex
Hi Alex and welcome to BE.

I think your best bet is the one already mentioned, the working holiday visa. Assuming you have nothing untoward in your background it is a very straightforward visa to get and doesn't take long at all. The visa lasts for 12 months but it is possible to get another one if you do some seasonal famring type work for three of those 12 months.

Based on what you have said, it is very unlikely you are going to qualify for the skilled worker visas or employer visas at this point in time. If you want to move permanently then you will probably have to carve out and establish yourself in a career first before looking at that.

Good luck.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsE
Hi - have you checke out the Australian Immigration website?

Here's the link - take a look at the visa section......http://www.immi.gov.au/
thanks, i did,and maybe because im stupid, it all seemed a bit baffling
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Hi Alex and welcome to BE.

I think your best bet is the one already mentioned, the working holiday visa. Assuming you have nothing untoward in your background it is a very straightforward visa to get and doesn't take long at all. The visa lasts for 12 months but it is possible to get another one if you do some seasonal famring type work for three of those 12 months.

Based on what you have said, it is very unlikely you are going to qualify for the skilled worker visas or employer visas at this point in time. If you want to move permanently then you will probably have to carve out and establish yourself in a career first before looking at that.

Good luck.
Thankyou for such a warm welcome,
i feel it is best to go for the working holiday visa as mentioned, also when you say...carve out and establish yourself in a career....do you mean doing that in the UK or in Australia?
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

From my experience in the um mate I THINK you could go on a student visa to Australia to study but its very exspensive, I was in the same boat as you I went to Perth at 18 on WHV and I lasted 6 weeks and I was quite limiting I was working in KFC so I went back to the UK went to colleg for 3 yeArs now I'm a fully qualified electrician looking to move back out to Perth in October for good so my advice would be to go on WHV for a year see if u like it then I'd go and get some trade/career behind you then the world is your oyster
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

From my experience in the um mate I THINK you could go on a student visa to Australia to study but its very exspensive, I was in the same boat as you I went to Perth at 18 on WHV and I lasted 6 weeks and I was quite limiting I was working in KFC so I went back to the UK went to colleg for 3 yeArs now I'm a fully qualified electrician looking to move back out to Perth in October for good so my advice would be to go on WHV for a year see if u like it then I'd go and get some trade/career behind you then the world is your oyster
Hi foster, thankyou very very much for all your advice, and id love to keep in contact with ya

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 2nd 2010 at 10:08 pm. Reason: Please don't post email addresses, members can contact each other via their profiles.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for such a warm welcome,
i feel it is best to go for the working holiday visa as mentioned, also when you say...carve out and establish yourself in a career....do you mean doing that in the UK or in Australia?
It would be difficult to establish yourself in a career on a WHV, the visa was really designed for backpackers to work and holiday and have fun. You are young and the visa might be a great way to see a bit of the country and work out if it is for you. But if you seriously want to move permanently, you would be better off building a career in the UK and revisiting this idea in a few years time.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It would be difficult to establish yourself in a career on a WHV, the visa was really designed for backpackers to work and holiday and have fun. You are young and the visa might be a great way to see a bit of the country and work out if it is for you. But if you seriously want to move permanently, you would be better off building a career in the UK and revisiting this idea in a few years time.
I see...well only being on the site for a few hours...YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN BRILLIANT!!!
thanks for all the advicee
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

No worries mate, I'm new to all this aswell but been to oz couple of times u will help ya as much needed, to my ability they are some really helpful people on here u will so just fine
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

No worries mate, I'm new to all this aswell but been to oz couple of times u will help ya as much needed, to my ability they are some really helpful people on here u will so just fine
I'd definitely take advantage of the fact that you're so young and able to apply for the WHV, it'd give you a real taste for what Aussie life would be like as you'd not only be living here, but working too. Then if you decide that it's definitely where you want to be, return to the UK and establish yourself in a career, get all the training you'd need and apply for a skilled visa in the future! You have youth on your side, something you really should take advantage of! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Jen (also from Norn Irn!)

(PS Yes I'd agree that Northern Ireland does have its problems, but it's by no means the 'troubled land' it was when I grew up there, so be thankful! lol)

Last edited by Jen1977ni; Aug 3rd 2010 at 7:58 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I'd definitely take advantage of the fact that you're so young and able to apply for the WHV, it'd give you a real taste for what Aussie life would be like as you'd not only be living here, but working too. Then if you decide that it's definitely where you want to be, return to the UK and establish yourself in a career, get all the training you'd need and apply for a skilled visa in the future! You have youth on your side, something you really should take advantage of! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Jen (also from Norn Irn!)

(PS Yes I'd agree that Northern Ireland does have its problems, but it's by no means the 'troubled land' it was when I grew up there, so be thankful! lol)
Hi Jen,
I do love my youthfulnes lol have you ever been? I feel its best,after reading everyones advice to go for the WHV. im just curious if anyone knows what kind of careers are wanted in Australia?? like..which would increase my chances of getting my visa?
:O really what part of Norn Irn lol im from Magherafelt, and even you must agree..during the perade seasons its a troubled land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.