Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

New Zealand skilled migrant visa... But want to move to Oz

New Zealand skilled migrant visa... But want to move to Oz

Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand skilled migrant visa... But want to move to Oz

Hi there

I'm a registered nurse from UK. I'm currently working as a nurse in New Zealand and am on a skilled migrant visa in New Zealand. This was only granted to me in December 2017.
My circumstances have changed and I would like to move to Australia and reside permanently there. I am just wondering as to the best way for me to do this. Basically I would need to complete a whole new full application? Are there any visas you can get that are granted if employed by an accredited employer? I was just wondering as thought this may be a faster way for me to get to Australia while I waited for my permanent Australia visa to be granted?
Advice much appreciated
Many thanks
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand skilled migrant visa... But want to move to Oz

Originally Posted by CatLady1234
Hi there

I'm a registered nurse from UK. I'm currently working as a nurse in New Zealand and am on a skilled migrant visa in New Zealand. This was only granted to me in December 2017.
My circumstances have changed and I would like to move to Australia and reside permanently there. I am just wondering as to the best way for me to do this. Basically I would need to complete a whole new full application? Are there any visas you can get that are granted if employed by an accredited employer? I was just wondering as thought this may be a faster way for me to get to Australia while I waited for my permanent Australia visa to be granted?
Advice much appreciated
Many thanks
Yes its a whole new application because uts a different country with a completely different visa system.

Aus does not have "accredited employers".
if you can find someone to sponsor you for the new TSS visa then you can work on that while waiting for PR, if your job is on the right list. I'm not up on that but verystormy might be able to help.
However, firstly, because its a new visa theres no way of knowing whether it would be granted faster than a 189
Secondly not many places will sponsor nurses now, the jobs are fewer and plenty of onshore people to fill them.

Have you sorted your registration? if you do a Trans-Tasman transfer to AHPRA you should then be able to do the modified ANMAC skills assessment instead of the full one. You need AHPRA in place first though.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi thanks for your answer. As I thought. Have to totally reapply. Just thinking let's say I took alternative option to wait till I achieved new Zealand residency could I come over to Australia alone based on my nz residency without a Australian specific visa?
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for your answer. As I thought. Have to totally reapply. Just thinking let's say I took alternative option to wait till I achieved new Zealand residency could I come over to Australia alone based on my nz residency without a Australian specific visa?
No. As a New Zealand citizen you could, but the visa for NZ citizens is not and never will be permanent. You will always be a temporary resident and not entitled to the benefits PRs are.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by "nz residency?" If you are a New Zealand Citizen, you can live and work in Australia indefinitely under the Special Category Visa, but do not have access to benefits, as Dorothy mentioned.

This does not apply for New Zealand permanent residents, however, who would have to apply for and receive Australian permanent residency or work sponsorship on your own. NZ PRs have no rights to live and work in Australia the way a NZ citizen does.

Australian permanent residents are given automatic permanent residency in New Zealand on arrival, but that is not reciprocal.